NAB 2018

Emanuel

The JVC LS300 was great, a lot were sold to wedding and event shooters, we even use one for a documentary series (the cable station cut our preferred C100mkII because of the codec, by the way) and it brought a lot of innovation to the table. If any of the big players had such a camera (sold a little bit less than a A7Sii, at the time) it would have been a huge hit. EVF unusable, monitor close to unusable (using external one at all times and Zaccuto EVF). Some people still use one together with their GH5 cameras.

The main issue we have(had) was the severe crop in slow motion (I used my NX1 cameras exclusively for 100/120frames), the not so great J-log, and the sensor was quite noisy above 800ISO, or we were spoiled by the C100. Definitely reluctant to use on 1600ISO (which I believe is a sane expectation to have in the end of the century). All the rest were amazing.

Seriously waiting to something above LS300, what we lack are cameras near 5.000euros. C200/FS5ii are (will be) expensive for my use. EVA/UrsaMP also. Panasonic fit everything one needs on a (huge) hybrid body, why not have similar features and specs on a slightly bigger cine/video form?

Very excited about the Atomos 5", but for people wanting only monitoring, I doubt a recorder will ever bring the same portability and ease of use. I used the BlackMagic 5" once and it was nothing like the Focus. For everyone else, it will be an instant hit. Especially for a price close to SmallHD Focus monitor.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, johnnyd said:

Unfortunately FS700 only does 4k through the SDI and this is probably hdmi only. Would be nice though if it had sdi too, a smaller 4k recorder is something I've been waiting for a while.

Yeah after I made my comment I realised the name "Ninja" is what Atomos uses to refer to their HDMI only recorders :-/ So wouldn't work with 4K raw. Sad. :-/ 

23 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I thought the BMPCC came out before a MTF BMCC did? Wasn't the BMCC EF mount, PL mount out a long time before they made a MFT version of it?

Yes, they didn't launch the BMCC MFT until after the other BMCC ones were already announced and shipping for a while. 

18 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

God no, it could have been called "The Donald Trump Fluffy Kitten And Puppy Decapitator" and the EVF would still have been its bigger negative by a country mile ;)

Ha. But heh, everyone I suppose has different priorities, the EVF doesn't rate as high to me as for others. 

21 minutes ago, salim said:

unless they're just rebranded Veydra lenses. 

As we can see, they have written T values different from Veydras - T1.2, T1.5... Actually, and btw - Andrew Chan looks so nice man, although greatly devoted, yet so timid and humble in presentation of its lens-achievements. It seem to me that SLR Magic line suffer little bit because of such non-agressive promotional attitude.

2 hours ago, anonim said:

Resolve 15 flyer

Resolve2.jpg

This is probably the highlight of the entire show for me (and we don't even know most of what is being announced yet)..  

This is awesome for a number of reasons:

• My workflow focuses on capturing cleanly and then working hard in post to create the artistic parts, so this is an upgrade to probably the largest component of my workflow
  • It's free
  • It now includes Fusion, which apparently has much better trackers than Resolve, which for my stabilisation requirements (which are crazy) will be fantastic
  • Did I mention it's free?
  • It has all sorts of stuff I wouldn't know to ask for.  Like "Multiple playheads"..  ummm, what?

9 minutes ago, kye said:

This is probably the highlight of the entire show for me (and we don't even know most of what is being announced yet)..  

This is awesome for a number of reasons:

• My workflow focuses on capturing cleanly and then working hard in post to create the artistic parts, so this is an upgrade to probably the largest component of my workflow
  • It's free
  • It now includes Fusion, which apparently has much better trackers than Resolve, which for my stabilisation requirements (which are crazy) will be fantastic
  • Did I mention it's free?
  • It has all sorts of stuff I wouldn't know to ask for.  Like "Multiple playheads"..  ummm, what?

I'd say - by large margin it is star of the show. For 300$ - if Resolve's technicians somehow manage to integrate Fusion's engine without mid-step of transcode, it is not just obvious Adobe killer, but and Flame also.

I invested much time in learning Fusion - but even for cinematographers, "better NR" means stepping into Neat Video level, which further means clean and mostly color-unshifted image at 6400iso for m43 (and BMPCC) users.

12 minutes ago, kye said:
  •   Like "Multiple playheads"..  ummm, what?

You can select different areas to work in the timeline and quickly jump from one to another.