NAB 2018

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Hope it's a GH5-style self-contained 4K camera with ProRes (new ProRes RAW?) & RAW DNG shooter with gorgeous thick footage with tons of dynamic range. Fingers are crossed tight!

Yeah V90 sd cards should provide enough bandwidth for ProRes RAW so I do hope they implement it! It will make the RAW workflow soooo much easier. 

I guess every old member of this forum will have one... Is it really necessary to tell why? ; )

What else gives you such FiLmic look out there?

17 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Yeah V90 sd cards should provide enough bandwidth for ProRes RAW so I do hope they implement it! It will make the RAW workflow soooo much easier. 

Let's cross the fingers :-)

I was thinking about ditching the GH5 for the GH5S, because I do like having like a dedicated cinema-style camera, which that definitely is more like. Richer image, forces you to go with more thought-through set-ups (like pre-IBIS days with anything from GH2-GH4). But this... now this might be the actual real deal! The philosophy and pricing behind this is going to be an interesting one. Interesting as well what Z-Cam will finally have to show for... Man, each year schtuff gets more and more exciting; unreal.

I posted it elsewhere and will post it here again:

I have a strong hunch that the new Pocket will use a design similar to the Ricoh GXR with swappable sensor/mount units (which would explain the bulge on the photograph) - and that two modules will be provided, one with the old 1080p sensor for people who favor dynamic range and low light over pixel resolution, and one with the 1" 4k sensor of the Micro Studio Camera with the tradeoff of 2 stops less dynamic range and half the native ISO (400 vs. 800). 

This would be an elegant way for BM to update the Pocket even if there are no suitable, freely available new sensors on the market (that would deliver both 4K and 14 stops dynamic range on an 1" sensor).

- In any case, don't expect a GH5 replacement, because the classical tradeoffs (no in-body stabilization, sub-par internal sound recording, need of IR cut filters in front of the lens) will remain. Likely, the camera will also need expensive Sandisk UHS-II 300MB/s SD cards for 4K raw recording, and 4K will max out at 30p.

12 minutes ago, cantsin said:

one with the old 1080p sensor for people who favor dynamic range and low light over pixel resolution, and one with the 1" 4k sensor of the Micro Studio Camera with the tradeoff of 2 stops less dynamic range and half the native ISO (400 vs. 800). 

This will never happen.

A BM cinema camera by definition is about DR and color science.

The Studio Cameras are rec 709 burned in signals.

This is the next gen Pocket meaning cinema DR and color science in 4k. That's a given.

10 minutes ago, Jim Giberti said:

This will never happen.

A BM cinema camera by definition is about DR and color science.

The Studio Cameras are rec 709 burned in signals.

This is the next gen Pocket meaning cinema DR and color science in 4k. That's a given.

Burned-in Rec709 is purely a matter of the signal processing and firmware - you can pull a raw signal from any sensor including this one. 

Besides, the Studio Camera has been pushed to 12 stops dynamic range (from initial 11) and ISO 400 (from initial 200) through BM's recent firmware. BM could decide that 12 stops and 4K in RAW (=the same specs as the old 4K Blackmagic Cinema Camera and the old 4K URSA) are good enough, all the more when 1080p with 14 stops remains an available option.

- This would also make a lot of sense from a marketing point of view, since BM can sell the Pocket as a 4K camera in times where 1080p cameras are difficult to sell any longer. Don't forget that BM doesn't have access to a broad range of sensors, but can only use third-party off-the-shelf sensors that are freely available on the market. At NAB 2017, a BM representative still said that no sensor was available that could deliver high dynamic range 4K in a small camera.

As an avid BM Pocket user (since 2013 when the camera came out), I hope that my theory will be wrong, btw.

AHHH Yes. This is so great. I bought two BMPCC's back in 2013 and they were my workhorses before I sold them all and went to the 1DC. I literally cracked one in half while on a shoot in Nicaragua! They are so great and I miss that camera. One of my favorites. I sure hope they add the new ProRes raw. Would be incredible. Flippy selfie screen??...probably not... good AF? No way. But amazing IQ and video features like peaking, waveforms, and ProRes...OH YA!

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't agree.

Can only think of the E mount adapter where the Terra wins?

I'm not sure thats a bigger win than having the MFT mount on the GH5s?

Kinefinity's boosted EF mount is only 0.72 reduction whereas you can go deeper than that with a Metabones EF to MFT.

I would rate the KineMount over a MFT mount. (Btw Kinefinity is a member of the Micro Four Thirds  group)

3 hours ago, Greg Block said:

@Trek of Joy

This fall is my guess...they skipped last year's NAB announcing a camera, so they could ship on my time is my reasoning.

BMD has taken to heart the criticism and seems keen to ship cameras immediately now or at least in a timely manner 

Then again they might regress to old form....    so anything is possible!

14 hours ago, TomasSunyer said:

I wonder if we will know something else from the Red-Foxconn partnership that was announced a while ago. I would love to see how the Foxconn chairman makes his promise true: “We will make cameras that will shoot professional-quality films in 8K resolution but at only a third of current prices and a third of current camera sizes”

That means it will only cost 20,000 bucks instead of 60,000 bucks!

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Would be incredible. Flippy selfie screen??...probably not... good AF? No way. But amazing IQ and video features like peaking, waveforms, and ProRes...OH YA!

I use my BMPCC now as a vlog camera, a flip up screen would be a bigger upgrade for me than 4K!