NAB 2018

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I hope there is a Zoom F10/F8n/F6/whatever in the pipeline, but I won't be holding my breath. 

Got hope that Roland or Tascam might decide to enter the fray again, they've been missing in action for a while or fallen off the pace lately. 

And who knows, maybe NAB 2018 will throw a surprise at us and Marantz might make a go at the prosumer market with a F8 competitor after bringing out their Marantz PMD-706 (which might be the best sub $300 recorder at the moment?). Or a complete odd ball surprise such as Atomos/AJA/Blackmagic giving it a go at making an audio recorder and leveraging their years of knowledge in making recorders already (but totally different kinds of recorders).

4 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Doug Jenson said on DVXUser 'You'll find out on Sunday.'

My bets is on the FS5mk2 being capable enough to "replace" the FS7.

Sony has a history of not "protecting" their upper end camera lines (not like Canon does). 

Remember how pissed the FS7 itself made F5/F55 owners? (and heck the F5 itself annoyed F55 owners when the F5 got 4K)

Going further back the dirt "cheap" F3 annoyed a few F35 owners who paid through their nose for the F35. (ditto the FS700/FS100 arriving after the F3 for the F3 owners)

Heck, the F35 itself annoyed some F23 owners because of how quick the upgrade cycle was. 

I see no reason at all why the FS5mk2 couldn't have all the key FS7mk2 specs but at a lower cost and in a smaller form factor. (win-win!)

Having something extra over on top of the FS7mk2 as well, perhaps IBIS? The FS5 (like the C100 too) is designed as a small handheld camera so IBIS would be very nice indeed

• Super Members
4 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’m hoping to hear Atomos announce they’re working with Panasonic to allow RAW recording from the GH5.

Or at the very least working on shipping HDMI cables for it a bit faster eh? ;)

I wonder if we will know something else from the Red-Foxconn partnership that was announced a while ago. I would love to see how the Foxconn chairman makes his promise true: “We will make cameras that will shoot professional-quality films in 8K resolution but at only a third of current prices and a third of current camera sizes”

20 minutes ago, TomasSunyer said:

I wonder if we will know something else from the Red-Foxconn partnership that was announced a while ago. I would love to see how the Foxconn chairman makes his promise true: “We will make cameras that will shoot professional-quality films in 8K resolution but at only a third of current prices and a third of current camera sizes”

I fail to see how this is different from any technology advance in history. Why does it warrant an announcement or anything? Of course CPUs will get faster, sensor-readouts as well and 8K will get propagated down the price brackets in the following years ... as for PRO content creators - we have reached the era of perfecting 4K capture, just as 1080p was being perfected years after it first became available.

14 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

I fail to see how this is different from any technology advance in history. Why does it warrant an announcement or anything? Of course CPUs will get faster, sensor-readouts as well and 8K will get propagated down the price brackets in the following years ... as for PRO content creators - we have reached the era of perfecting 4K capture, just as 1080p was being perfected years after it first became available.

When I made the comment I was thinking more about the price accessibility of Red than anything else, seeing what price point do they settle on and if this could potentially force other manufacturers to improve they offerings for that price point.I woudln't consider this partnership as revolutionary but more as evolutionary It's obious that over time technologhy will advance and become more accessible.

When Red first arrived to the party they where certainly revolutionary in both image quality and price, the Dalsa Origin for example rented for 3000 USD per day. This was one of the frist steps towards a new wave of affordable narrative tools that exploted wtih the appearence of DSLR cinematography. Now they are compiting with Arry for the top notch Cinematograhpy crown. I doubt this will change for Red, but the perspective of a new entry level Red is interesting (not that I will be able to afford it anywhays though :expressionless:)

• Super Members
12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Or a complete odd ball surprise such as Atomos/AJA/Blackmagic giving it a go at making an audio recorder and leveraging their years of knowledge in making recorders already (but totally different kinds of recorders).

BMD bought some very relevant knowhow when they acquired Fairlight (there is a lineage from key members of their R&D team that leads back to analogue consoles) so they could definitely do it.

Speaking of Australian companies acquiring technology, what news of Rode's progress with an affordable Soundfield ?

Might we see that launched at NAB perhaps?

48 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Speaking of Australian companies acquiring technology, what news of Rode's progress with an affordable Soundfield ?

Yes. I saw it on Instagram. A new design from what Rode has shown before (Thankfully not the camera mounted version!).

image.thumb.png.b3a8f3cd979dfbedae9b1a49bd4c8474.png

48 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

BMD bought some very relevant knowhow when they acquired Fairlight (there is a lineage from key members of their R&D team that leads back to analogue consoles) so they could definitely do it.

Well studio sound or post production is quite different to production sound recording. 

But still  yeah, BMD has a few strands there they could pull together into a sound recorder. They're closer to it than when they pulled a camera out of the hat! That was a surprise. 

3 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

5ac7354f34ca5_DavinciResolve15.jpg.21112a25dc98c6da1942e1c287a439d2.jpg

Not my Pic From BMCUser Perhaps Fusion 15 will be like Flame all in one editing CC Audio mastering VFX Package hope my Version 13 dongle still good.

Very glad they are integrating Fusion into the main workflow! Hopefully this brings advancements in Rolling Shutter repair and other effects.

35 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

What is Panasonic going to be showing? 

Check out the Kinefinity booth too!

I don't think anyone really knows what panasonic will be showing.  But they do mention "new products" on their NAB page,  so they are showing something new. 

And yes,  I will be heading over to Kinefinity's booth to learn more.  I do sort of feel like the GH5S is a bit like the more trusted version of the Terra 4K. Same sensor, but with better warranty and service. Also weather sealed and in a smaller package.