Final Cut ProRes RAW

photographer-at-large

Yeah that is half the reason a Red camera is so damn expensive is their proprietary crap. When I think about it they are a bigger Horses Ass than Sony LoL.

But I think this ProRes Raw is a BIG step in the right direction, especially if you own a Apple!  :grimace:

But, and it is a big but LoL, hmm big butts, with the new Resolve coming out now also I Wonder??

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Apples reasons for developing their own solutions for the entire chain has a lot to do with reliability. Their reliability comes from controlling all the bits and making sure they work together. 

The sum is a system that is greater than the sum of its parts because there is coherent intention throughout. 

I think it’s a bit cynical to presume it’s all about “locking in” it’s users. 

41 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

"Panasonic also announced the EVA1 and VariCam LT will take full advantage of the new ProRes RAW software for a faster and more efficient RAW workflow;"

EVA1 is the bare minimum, at the moment.

What do you think the odds of the new BMPCC having it is?? Maybe not at launch but a firmware update.

21 hours ago, Castorp said:

Apples reasons for developing their own solutions for the entire chain has a lot to do with reliability. Their reliability comes from controlling all the bits and making sure they work together. 

The sum is a system that is greater than the sum of its parts because there is coherent intention throughout. 

I think it’s a bit cynical to presume it’s all about “locking in” it’s users. 

When I was transitioning to Mac I had a number of different things that I wanted to link together between Apple and non-Apple providers.  Every issue I had throughout my transition was an Apple/non-Apple incompatibility or clash.  We are talking about things like Google calendars, invitations from Outlook/Exchange, messaging, etc.  Almost any time I wanted to access a service with my Apple and non-Apple devices it was either that it wouldn't work on the Apple (but the service worked on most of the other brands, so the non-Apple supplier was compliant with standards etc), or if the issue was that the non-Apple device I owned couldn't access the Apple service then it was because Apple had locked them out.

When I made the final changes to all-Apple those problems basically went away, and not only that but I got a bunch more shared functionality than I had originally been trying to achieve.

With very few exceptions, when it comes to Apple-provided features my iPhone and MBP have the same functionality (messaging, making and receiving phone calls, calendars, contacts, FaceTime, mail, Safari bookmarks and history, notes, etc), but to this day I have to use a third-party app to accept meeting invitations from Outlook.  

Tell me how they aren't preferencing their own ecosystem above others when the ability to make and receive phone calls on a laptop (or my Apple Watch) is more important than receiving Outlook meeting invitations...

It's a bit like saying that it's cynical to say that the banks are happy to take your money in error, but when you ask around the mistakes are almost always in their favour.

16 hours ago, squig said:

I thought maybe Compressor 4.4.1 would transcode CDNG to ProRes Raw, but it's not an option. Oh well, back to Resolve, AE, and proxys it is then. 

I was hoping Resolve 15 might have ProRes Raw as an export option... MLVFS to Resolve to ProRes Raw sounded pretty good to me. I’d love for the Raw Magic app to do a straight MLV to ProRes Raw transcode update.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I was hoping Resolve 15 might have ProRes Raw as an export option... MLVFS to Resolve to ProRes Raw sounded pretty good to me. I’d love for the Raw Magic app to do a straight MLV to ProRes Raw transcode update.

Have you checked out MLV App? https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=20025.0

Way cool. Fast too on a 6 core Mac Pro.

5 hours ago, mercer said:

From what I have read and seen looks like Atomos is the Only one that Apple has let utilize it yet. Is in in FCPX even yet?

So I am sure Resolve will have it in there as soon as Apple opens up a License for it. More money for Apple, just what they need LoL.

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

This codec is a game changer. I hope Blackmagic will update the Pocket with it. 

I feel sorry for the Apple haters that use PC. I have used Premiere for a couple of projects and feel your pain! 

Can’t wait to cut through 4K raw like butter as it is usually  with ProRes 

No need to feel sorry for us PC users. Resolve has been cutting through 4K raw like butter for years. :)

I've been shooting raw exclusively since 2013. Stopped using proxies in 2015. I've only ever used regular consumer hardware for post. Frankly, raw is old news for PC users.

I found some Pro Res RAW clips online today and had a go at them in fcpx, pretty cool. I was just curious about the workflow. They were shot on an EVA-1/Shogun Inferno combo. They loaded right up in final cut, Metadata showed they were pro res raw hq, definitely seemed malleable with the color board. Right now about the only thing you can change with them, Metadata-wise (that I could find anyway)  is the color space/log options of the footage... With one click in the info/settings menu you can switch between different log profiles like panasonic's Vlog, canon's Clog, Sony Slog, etc. 

So that's pretty cool, though I was hoping for  more of a true ISO/wb/exposure adjustment etc., like with traditional raw workflows. 

On 4/11/2018 at 2:25 AM, cpc said:

No need to feel sorry for us PC users. Resolve has been cutting through 4K raw like butter for years. :)

I've been shooting raw exclusively since 2013. Stopped using proxies in 2015. I've only ever used regular consumer hardware for post. Frankly, raw is old news for PC users.

Why PC users? Resolve is on Mac. I tried it, don't like it at all so not an option for me. On Mac you have the option to use Premiere, Resolve or FCPX whatever suits you best, for years.

18 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Why PC users? Resolve is on Mac. I tried it, don't like it at all so not an option for me. On Mac you have the option to use Premiere, Resolve or FCPX whatever suits you best, for years.

I too have been grading and editing raw files directly on a PC for years.  What does this Prores raw bring that is new?

On 4/7/2018 at 11:25 PM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah that is half the reason a Red camera is so damn expensive is their proprietary crap. When I think about it they are a bigger Horses Ass than Sony LoL.

Yeah I don't like closed licensed stuff.  When Quicktime was dropped on Windows I really didn't appreciate the scramble to reimplement Prores support.

4 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Does anyone have any info on ProRes Raw vs. cDNG yet? Grant Petty mentioned something about it moving all the color science to FCPX, instead of being a mix of in-camera and in-post. Does anyone have any insight on that?

Grant basically called it rubbish, with just a diffrent set of words. Considering that Blackmagic lives of ProRes, I am sure Grant tested it enough to know how utterly useless the development may have been.