IronFilm

Z Cam E2 Cinematic Camera is US$33,880!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, tupp said:

That is certainly a switch from what he said before.

From what I know they tried to add it but it wasn’t possible. 

New in - they have an iOS app that gives you a live view from the camera. 

Not sure how good this will be. They have a “professional” film coming out to promote it. So we’ll see. 

7 hours ago, tupp said:

That is certainly a switch from what he said before.

I think from the start they've been promising a lot, with the caveat "if it's possible." And while that's all good and nice, when it comes to what you can and cannot provide to the consume, it's an unacceptable way to do business. Even if your intention IS to try and implement something at a later time, until you're certain it's happening you shouldn't say anything. 

Just a different way or running a business, they're being a lot more open and honest about their plans even if it means allowing us to see their failures. While many western companies are more secretive about what they're up to until it is ready to market. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Just a different way or running a business, they're being a lot more open and honest about their plans even if it means allowing us to see their failures. While many western companies are more secretive about what they're up to until it is ready to market. 

It's really not, though, an open and honest way to do business. Saying there's a possibility that something like RAW might be added at a later date is irresponsible if you don't have an idea on whether or not it's possible (and, at the point they said it they should've known whether it was a possibility or not.) It simply gets people's hopes up. Don't tease something you might not be able to deliver. 

I mean, telling people there's a possibility RAW may come to the camera is kind of a tease, especially when you don't know if it's actually possible. 

It's seemingly caused some confusion on whether or not it's happening, since the owner seems to have given contradictory answers about it. 

Same thing happened with Black Magic and global shutter on the URSA Mini 4.6K.  I assume the price will be significantly less by the end of the year. I can see a $995 as Christmas-time sale price... Anyways, it's still a pretty cool camera at the right price and the H265 footage from my NX1 keeps getting better with software updates so 4k 120 H265 will probably look great, but may be hard to decode in real-time unless you have a power machine.

7 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I mean, telling people there's a possibility RAW may come to the camera is kind of a tease, especially when you don't know if it's actually possible. 

It's seemingly caused some confusion on whether or not it's happening, since the owner seems to have given contradictory answers about it.

I completely agree. I do see where @IronFilm is coming from, and personally I would rather hear about their plans, including the ones that fall through.  But on the mass market it's only bound to create confusion to suggest/promise features that get cut. The B&H catalog from 2018 still says the BMMCC is "Global and Rolling Shutter Switchable."

37 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

Anyways, it's still a pretty cool camera at the right price and the H265 footage from my NX1 keeps getting better with software updates so 4k 120 H265 will probably look great, but may be hard to decode in real-time unless you have a power machine.

H.265 is a requirement for any new camera for me--there's no going back to H.264 after you've used the NX1! ProRes and Raw are great for special occasions, but in most situations for me they will not add any discernible quality over H.265. As a (fairly serious) hobbyist, I can't blow through hundreds of GB every day.

4 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

I completely agree. I do see where @IronFilm is coming from, and personally I would rather hear about their plans, including the ones that fall through.  But on the mass market it's only bound to create confusion to suggest/promise features that get cut. The B&H catalog from 2018 still says the BMMCC is "Global and Rolling Shutter Switchable."

And then you have big time brand names such as Nikon who even will outright cancel entire lines! I still weep for the missing Nikon DL cameras 😞

So I wouldn't be too hard on a little time new player like Z Cam if they end up doing a few tweaks to their product along the way and their plans shift. 

I encourage tweaks and trying to give consumers the most bang for your buck. I think the mentality they have is awesome! It's just the part where they tell people that it might be possible to add this or that to a future firmware update, without knowing whether it's actually possible, that I'm very skeptical of. Especially in this day and age where we're all guilty of getting a little overhyped about stuff! 

I've just seen a lot of talk about RAW and this camera when, apparently, as of the most recent statements being made, it's not happening. That definitely is a 😬 thing. 

I am in favor of letting them promise all the things they want in order to improve this camera. 

But I am also in favor of waiting for these to actually happen before anyone spends any money, cause unless you really need the streaming capabilities, the camera is not worth even $1000. 

This is from their site:

1669148145_ScreenShot2018-07-19at8_22_00AM.png.7b735440fe9b7d76682922137ce1a116.png

1 hour ago, Don Kotlos said:

I am in favor of letting them promise all the things they want in order to improve this camera. 

But I am also in favor of waiting for these to actually happen before anyone spends any money, cause unless you really need the streaming capabilities, the camera is not worth even $1000. 

I called it weeks ago.  Once I saw the footage I said, no way.

It is unscrupulous to advertise raw and start accepting preorders and then turn around and say, sorry no raw.

The worst part about it was the hype and then the preorder "discount" they were offering to trying and get people's financial information and nonrefundable deposit.  The thing is they have a track recorder of putting out a camera at an unrealistic price and then having to practically give it a way months later.  That preoder "discount" is a joke.  Actually retail price a few months after launch may be hundreds less.

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

And then you have big time brand names such as Nikon who even will outright cancel entire lines! I still weep for the missing Nikon DL cameras 😞

So I wouldn't be too hard on a little time new player like Z Cam if they end up doing a few tweaks to their product along the way and their plans shift. 

I do agree with you personally as a consumer, since I would never order on specs alone, let alone preorder. My point is that it's bad for them as a company. If prominently and publicly advertise that they "hope" to have Raw, but then don't, negative reactions should be expected.

@Don Kotlos150 Mbps for 4k is a lot in H.265! That's like a hacked NX1. But that (will be updated later) scares me, too.

I think that the E1 showed that they will support it with firmware updates to add features / improvements, which is good, but at the same time it's a bit odd at how much they're depending on that to sell the camera. Bless your heart if you take the plunge without waiting to see how it all plays out! 

I'm looking forward to seeing the camera in capable hands to get an idea on what it can really do, though the E1 didn't really get much attention from those types so I'm not sure if the E2 will be any different. 

On 7/17/2018 at 9:57 AM, IronFilm said:

The whispers I've heard is yes they will get it. 

And lots of newbie companies have got ProRes: AJA, BMD, etc

AJA and BMD are not newbie.

It took Kinefinity FOUR years to get ProRes license for their TERRA camera.

12 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

AJA and BMD are not newbie.

There are indeed newbies to the camera came! 
That was AJA's first ever camera (and so far only one). 
Ditto BMD, the BMCC wasn't really that long ago in the grand scheme of things!

12 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

It took Kinefinity FOUR years to get ProRes license for their TERRA camera.

Nope, the Terra isn't even four years old!!

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

There are indeed newbies to the camera came! 
That was AJA's first ever camera (and so far only one). 
Ditto BMD, the BMCC wasn't really that long ago in the grand scheme of things!

Nope, the Terra isn't even four years old!!

Well Aja was founded 25 years ago, while BMD is only 17 years old. Since neither company manufacturers lenses its likely that much of their experience lended itself well to making the jump to camera design.