IronFilm

Z Cam E2 Cinematic Camera is US$33,880!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I checked out this camera briefly. It was not on a tripod, but was not hooked up. I asked about footage and was referred to a video that was playing on a tv screen on the wall. It was the same video that was released a couple weeks ago, so I imagine the camera at the show was not ready.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Someone posted a link to the E2 with the thread title "revenge of MFT":

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4272692#forum-post-61006582

I reckon that is quite accurate, what with the Panasonic GH5S, Z Cam E2, DJI X5S, BMPCC4K, etc then the MFT System is on fire lately!

Interestingly, most of those use the same sensor, IMX294CJK.

19 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Ha, he gets asked about the BMPCC4K! ;-)

The race is on! Will they ship it before the BMPCC4K? Guess they might have to....

Dumb question about the Blackmagic P4k, SMH. Otherwise this one is equally interesting to me as the P4k. I know markets outside the US are probably more of their focus, but it would have been nice to put out a few 4k120p samples with the unveiling. Of course Blackmagic didn't cough up any footage either. Hopefully we'll be able to rent one soon after release.

Chris

My biggest question right now is if they can/will add Raw, either internally of ProRes Raw over HDMI. It would be really interesting to see if they close that gap with the Pocket 4k. You'd have the best of both worlds in one package, Raw for the image or H.265 for the size.

I'm also curious to see what sort of external controls they have. That serial port looks like it was taken from the BMMCC. Wonder if you will be able to use third party hardware controllers for it?

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

That serial port looks like it was taken from the BMMCC.

It is a very standard part:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232

If you have some old computer parts lying around then odds are you have a RS-232 port in your house. 

It is a bit different from the Micro which is using a different connection (but also fairly common ish), which is DB-HD15.

That is a 15 pin connection, different from the 9 pin connection you see on the E2.

But as you can see, they're from the same general family of connections:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-subminiature

On 10/04/2018 at 9:05 PM, Luke Mason said:

Interestingly, most of those use the same sensor, IMX294CJK.

Yes, most likely. That is why it seems strange or curious, how Z Can does 4k at 120fps and also has 13.5 stops of dynamic range.

Plus this thing has no screen, or viewfinder, or recording slots, or anything else. It's almost like a RED Camera brain. 

4 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

From looking around I cannot even see a cfast slot so it might be non-removable?

I couldn't possibly imagine them shipping it with a non-removable C Fast card!! :-o

Maybe the card slot is on the bottom?! Like it is with say my F4 or 552 recorders

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

Yes, most likely. That is why it seems strange or curious, how Z Can does 4k at 120fps and also has 13.5 stops of dynamic range.

The sensor is already capable of 4K 120fps, but Z Cam is the only one trying to make full usage of it. 

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

Plus this thing has no screen, or viewfinder, or recording slots, or anything else. It's almost like a RED Camera brain. 

Not a totally unusual form factor. The Arri Alexa Mini is like that, the BMCC was kinda like that, the BMMCC is like that, the Kinefinity Terras and MAVO are like that. 

There was a language barrier in the Z-Cam booth, but from what I understood there will be raw upcoming and there will be an attempt to license Prores codecs.

There was also a suggestion that an APS-C camera is being considered.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The sensor is already capable of 4K 120fps, but Z Cam is the only one trying to make full usage of it

You'r right. I checked. It does 4k at 120fps at 10-bit. I guessing the dynamic range may be lower, but that's almost always the case with Slomo. 4k at 120fps itself is insane. Especially at this price point.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Not a totally unusual form factor. The Arri Alexa Mini is like that, the BMCC was kinda like that, the BMMCC is like that, the Kinefinity Terras and MAVO are like that.

Yes, I know. My mentioning it was to point how how they budgeted all the tech at this price point. They claim to give you more on Paper than the BMPCC, so they cut corners where they could. The extras would add to the price and the company's revenues. 

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

You'r right. I checked. It does 4k at 120fps at 10-bit. I guessing the dynamic range may be lower, but that's almost always the case with Slomo. 4k at 120fps itself is insane. Especially at this price point.

Surely dynamic range should only be lower if they need to push up the ISO? (to cope with the higher shutter speed)

Check the website and Facebook group, tons of info there, all your questions are answered. 

C-Fast is on the bottom (it's removable) but they are potentially planning on changing that position. They also want to make usb-SSD recordable (like the Pocket 4K), which would be great.

I and some other peeps exchanged a few messages with Jason Zhang on Facebook, in the Facebook group - he said:

• 4k 120fps for sure. 
  • The continuous autofocus testing is going really well and is "state of the art".
  • They will add RAW once the more important things are finalised. 

Seems the company want to break the with this camera. 

Will it add up? We'll see eh. 

5ad073bcbd053_ScreenShot2018-04-13at10_08_19.png.0f64aa9a320b7c284c4f6105432d77fd.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 10.10.03.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 10.10.30.png

@Oliver Daniel nice from you for Facebook nonusers. Can anyone ask about that sync port please? If does it allow to genlock 2x cameras for 3D acquisition?

Now that we also have the price for, can you @Andrew Reid fix that outdated title of this thread please? Once seems Jon is retired as useful mod he marked this community. Thank you :-)