BMPC 4k vs. GH5

Anaconda_

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Ahh the Plastic Fantastic. Yeah I forgot it. I want to forget it. The thread on it reminds me of some of my daughters sleep overs years ago. Hehehehe, hehehhe, ahh he's cute, hehehehe. Jesus. :blush: Grown F ing men going hehehehe. It's output is so cute, hehehehe.

LOL Lovely to be within back to teens again. Now my turn to be out of likes for tonight, pal :-)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, mercer said:

I’d take a BMPCC/BMMCC over a GH5 any day of the week, especially for narrative work.

if a director/producer told me to shoot with any one of a Pocket/Micro/GH5/GH5S then I wouldn't mind in the slightest, I feel they're all "equal but different" to each other. 

11 hours ago, mercer said:

But if you want a more cinematic look at half the cost, the Pocket or Micro wins.

I reckon your color grader and lighting technique goes further in determining "cinematic" than picking a GH5S or a Pocket. 

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I look at the BM stuff versus a GH5 like the Sigma Foveon cameras versus something like a Fuji X100F.

Both APS-C, both fixed lens but the Fuji canes the Sigma at every turn for low light, speed and functionality but then you look at the RAW images from the Sigma. 

But a perfect comparison/analogy, but I like it!

10 hours ago, SR said:

My bad. I was thinking of the 4.6k Ursa mini.

Exactly, don't mix up the 4.6K sensor (which is in the URSA Mini 4.6K and URSA Mini Pro) with the 4K sensor! (note that BMD doesn't even bother to offer the 4K sensor in the URSA Mini Pro, as BMD has realised it is time to drop that 4K sensor from their line up)

As those two sensors are living on two different planets. 

9 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I still don't think that's a statement of fact though. Can you explain why it wouldn't work? as I said before, I used that exact plastic rig with an FS5 yesterday, all day and it worked perfectly, so I'm struggling to see why a smaller, lighter camera won't work. 

Been a while since I used a BMCC (which is an identical body to a BMPC4K), and only had a very limited experience with the FS5, but I would hazard a guess that a typical minimal rig of a FS5 is lighter than a typical minimal rig of a BMCC. 

And I would say however you *can* use the BMPC4K/BMCC on the cowboy shoulder rig, it is not something I'd recommend doing in the long term.

14 hours ago, IronFilm said:

And I would say however you *can* use the BMPC4K/BMCC on the cowboy shoulder rig, it is not something I'd recommend doing in the long term.

That Cowboy Rig is the same damn plastic piece of crap, just with a different name on it.

https://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Shoulder-Support-Camcorder-Camera/dp/B0036NMQ7S

Buy a Zacuto rig and be done with it for life. But you may have to give up your life to pay for one! I love the one I have. EXPENSIVE as hell. All their stuff is. I have more than I should have bought. But you might find some of it on there closeout section for a 1/3 of the price. I have snagged a few pieces that way myself over the years.

It is the only stuff I buy if I am serious about getting the job done. They are Always innovating new ideas. Great company to deal with also.

I had the same question a few months ago, and ended up going with the GH5.  I was specifically attracted to the anamorphic mode to use with a 2x lens (Sankor 16c + SLR Magic Rangefinder).  The GH5 is the first camera I've used the Sankor with that got an acceptably sharp image.  (And I don't have to cut off the sides, I can see the image de-squeezed in the camera, etc.)  Yes, I would much rather have ProRes (or raw) files than the compressed codec the GH5 gives me, but the overall usability of the camera for anamorphic shooting is absolutely fantastic.

7 hours ago, mercer said:

@webrunner5 which Zacuto rig do you have?

I have the shoulder butt thingy they have, and a lot of the tubes, their offset rig, Their Battery plate, top handle, Z rails, just need the Baseplate, which is like 650 bucks to finish it I guess. I have a few more odds and ends from them. I have been buying a lot of their close out stuff like I said. But they have a baseplate now in the discount for half price but no money now. Like this below. If you buy their marked down stuff you can have some hell of a good stuff for not a lot of money. Well still a lot but great stuff. I have a lot of this rig. Not the viewfinder

https://store.zacuto.com/indie-recoil-pro/

https://store.zacuto.com/clearance/

+

22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Exactly, don't mix up the 4.6K sensor (which is in the URSA Mini 4.6K and URSA Mini Pro) with the 4K sensor! (note that BMD doesn't even bother to offer the 4K sensor in the URSA Mini Pro, as BMD has realised it is time to drop that 4K sensor from their line up)

As those two sensors are living on two different planets. 

Think I made the self-correction already.