Can We Please have a 5" Shogun Inferno

markr041

3 hours ago, markr041 said:

But we only have 7"-screen recorders, which are absurdly large even for the bigger, but still portable cameras. On the EVA1, for example, the Shogun Inferno looks ridiculous, adding bulk and imbalance, as the attached photo shows.

Thankfully my F3 is a FHD camera and plenty of 5" recoders exist for FHD!

I'd happily even use a 3.5" FHD recorder with it, if the screen is good enough (sadly the Atomos Ninja 2 doesn't have SDI, and has a truly awful screen).

3 hours ago, markr041 said:

Please, (anyone) give us a 5" recorder with the capabilities of the Shogun Inferno, or even better, a smaller recorder without any screen - the battery life will be better and overheating will be less of a problem. BlackMagic? Convergent Design? Atomos? Video Devices? Sony? C'mon.

Not sure if 5" means less overheating issues..... as a smaller size means less space for a heat sink and less surface area for heat dissipation. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Amen brother. The 7" formfactor is a joke, yet most monitors and recorders go for 7 and 10". That is fine for an actual director's monitor. But one that you use on-camera? Especially now in this day and age that we use gimbals where we can't necessarily always see the screen of the camera that well, or when said camera is a GH5 that outputs 4K60p 10-bit that you want to capture, it's about time these screensizes started to make sense. I appreciate what Videodevices did with the PIX-E5(H), but if you're looking at the price to get it up and running, it's not so funny anymore. The Blackmagic Design Video Assist 5" was a great little tool and boy have they added functionality with firmware, but it isn't a great 4K grabber. And then we've already ran out of options I believe. Concerning monitors... there are quite a few, like the Feelworld F570 for example, which I guess is great value. But I fail to understand why Aputure and Lilliput aren't giving 5" a real go... they did for 7". To me a 5" monitor makes more sense than a 7" one. And apparently that echoes here in the comments. Then how is it that we've got so little to pick from here? Are we all just mad and there's just too little of a market for 'em... not sure, but it's a shame there isn't much else going on in this space.

6 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I appreciate what Videodevices did with the PIX-E5(H), but if you're looking at the price to get it up and running, it's not so funny anymore.

And sadly they don't have quite as many features as the competition, such as very importantly they don't handle any flavors of raw?!

But not to surprisingly they do handle sound better than most!

7 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

To me a 5" monitor makes more sense than a 7" one.

I wouldn't mind if a few more companies took a crack at 3.5" or 4" monitors as well!

True, I believe Ikan has a 3.5" 4K-signal taking monitor that people are quite fond of. And also what has been mentioned earlier, the Atomos Ninja Star didn't even have a screen. They had the Ninja Blade and Samurai Blade which were 5" and the Ninja 2 that was 4.3"... but indeed where are the ones that combine small formfactor with 4K recording features? And where's Blackmagic... upping their 5" game?

4 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

What I would love more than 5" is a super thin and light weight 7" Atomos monitor only. Similar to the SmallHD 702 but even lighter (using less durable materials).

You mean no recorder, just a 10bit 1500 nits monitor that is capable of HDR? That would be useful too. Indeed, separating monitors and recorders may be the point of this thread.

It has to have something to do with heat or they would do it like @IronFilm said. I mean you have to have a place to put the SSD, and Maybe 2 batteries, hookups on and on. Maybe it is just not possible. So maybe it is a simple matter of not enough space? I hope not. Plus it would make the product I hope less money also. I doubt they can make them thinner because of the heat problem. Just to have room to hook the batteries on without a big hump on the back would necessitate a thicker body. But I think I would take that option for a slimmer body..

5 minutes ago, markr041 said:

You mean no recorder, just a 10bit 1500 nits monitor that is capable of HDR? That would be useful too. Indeed, separating monitors and recorders may be the point of this thread.

Yeah I have said that before about people paying out the ass for a Small HD monitor that has way less nits than a Atomos, and hell you get a free recorder.

But doesn't all the Atomos recorders have a shiny ass screen that is hard to see in bright sunlight?

While I would love to have a tiny external 4K recorder (my vote would go for a 4K ninja blade with 3D Lut support) , I think what we all also need is better internal codecs. Cameras have already very good screens, SD cards that can support high bitrate recordings, and a battery. Why make it complicated?

There are open source high quality codecs such as Cineform and camera companies should implement them. At least companies that don't have a stake at the professional video market such as Fuji, Nikon or Olympus. 

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

What I would love more than 5" is a super thin and light weight 7" Atomos monitor only. Similar to the SmallHD 702 but even lighter (using less durable materials).

Psst... After all opinions I hardly dare to say that for me 7" Ninja Flame is not too bulky once I have cage and wooden side grip handle - actualy, looking to myself I feel so serious and important DOP guy :) ... GH5 get some weight for smoother movements, focusing on 7" is so comfortable, waveform and parade so clearly visible ... but of course, SmallHD focus size would make me feel younger and more sportsman everyday cool.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

It has to have something to do with heat or they would do it like @IronFilm said. I mean you have to have a place to put the SSD, and Maybe 2 batteries, hookups on and on. Maybe it is just not possible. So maybe it is a simple matter of not enough space? I hope not. Plus it would make the product I hope less money also. I doubt they can make them thinner because of the heat problem. Just to have room to hook the batteries on without a big hump on the back would necessitate a thicker body. But I think I would take that option for a slimmer body..

You can power both the camera and the Shogun Inferno from one battery attached to the camera in the case of the Sony FS5 - the regular-sized camera battery (made by Swit) has a D-Tap, so you can power the Shogun from it with its supplied cord. That really reduces the weight/size. A similar D-tap arrangement for our mythical small recorder would work fine.

1 hour ago, Alt Shoo said:

I would love to use a 4k and above raw recorder with no screen. For monitoring I’ll use the included monitor or purchase a small hd or something similar. 

Yeah but like I said a small HD is worse than a Atomos screen for the same money or more. I have no clue why Atomos doesn't make just small screens for sale. They have a like 20 inch one but..

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but like I said a small HD is worse than a Atomos screen for the same money or more. I have no clue why Atomos doesn't make just small screens for sale. They have a like 20 inch one but..

I wonder who does make screens for Atomos? Anybody have a clue?