Yet another gear recommendation request...

hilema

Hi everyone,

I'm well aware this type of questions has been asked quite a few times but as everyone who asked expect something different from their gear I didn't found my answer on other threads. So here I am:

Until now I had a Nikon d5000 then a d7000. Two mid-range (one more than the other...) camera that served me well in my travels. I'm now back home and now don't take much pictures, shoot videos for Youtube and own an hexacopter. 

I'm disappointed with the quality of the d7000 on video and would like to change my gear with the idea of being able to have reasonably light cine package that I would put on my drone.

What's "important" (I like when people say I "Need" 4k when they really just wants it^^)

-sharpness

-dynamic range (I'm not a freak of pixel hunting I'm talking of overall image in common case scenario, I don't plan on doing video at night for say)

-smoothness of motion (not seeing ghosting of the first frame in the second on moving object)

-No cropping of the sensor for video (is it called oversampling? I'm pretty confused on the meaning of it being new to the video side of my dslr)

-Mirrorless for weight and space saving (Even if I'm not dead on sure on that, if I can get the same result off half the price dslr I'm fine to change plans)

-a flip up or better a flip on the side screen would be nice but definitly the last thing I'd consider on my choice of a camera, it would just be more practical but I can use a remote view of my camera on my phone if no screen flip available.

What's not important:

-brand

-aps-c vs m43 vs full frame as long as the video is great, I'd be much better off with a m43 not cropping for video than with a full frame that does.

-ergonomics and menu, I don't mind taking more time to set up my scene as i'm not shooting video "on-the-go" 

-looks (a pretty obvious one for me ^^)

All of this said it only misses the budget I have. I don't have an enormous budget but neither do I have an enormous expectation (no red 8k for me... :'( ...) I plan on selling my actual camera and lenses and add a bit on top of that which would equate to 900€ max.

At this price I look for used camera and 2 prime lenses a wide pancake for aerial video and probably a light zoom like a 20-50 but lenses are not the subject of my asking I'll find what I need for lenses I'm not too lost for this part but just keep in mind that on the 900€ some would have to be saved for lenses.

... I guess I said everything needed...

Anyhow thank you all for your consideration and help!

Simon

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Simon, welcome to the forums.

I'm no expert on what cameras are in the market at the moment, but your requirements and your budget look like they might not be terribly compatible.  I could be wrong and people may reply with great recommendations, but if they don't, then that's probably the reason.

If you don't get helpful replies I'd suggest having a look through the recent threads on the forum (ie, the last few months) - there are threads talking about most of the well liked cameras.  Eg,  there's one talking about the BMPCC active right now, partly because the camera is well-liked by people here.  Threads talking about cameras that aren't well liked sink like a stone because no-one replies.

Best of luck!

4 hours ago, hilema said:

-sharpness

-dynamic range (I'm not a freak of pixel hunting I'm talking of overall image in common case scenario, I don't plan on doing video at night for say)

-smoothness of motion (not seeing ghosting of the first frame in the second on moving object)

-No cropping of the sensor for video (is it called oversampling? I'm pretty confused on the meaning of it being new to the video side of my dslr)

-Mirrorless for weight and space saving (Even if I'm not dead on sure on that, if I can get the same result off half the price dslr I'm fine to change plans)

-a flip up or better a flip on the side screen would be nice but definitly the last thing I'd consider on my choice of a camera, it would just be more practical but I can use a remote view of my camera on my phone if no screen flip available.

Your post is likely to result in endless pro-and-con discussions and religious wars on this forum. But suffice to say that basically all current mirrorless cameras with decent video fit your bill: Panasonics GH5/5s (for Micro Four Thirds), Sony's A6300/6500 (for APS-C) and A7s/sII/RII/RIII/III (for full frame) and Fuji's XT2/XH1. Add the Blackmagic Pocket and Micro if you're open to a FullHD video-only camera with operations and workflow more similar to digital cinema cameras (which can be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on your needs and expectations).

I would strongly suggest that you go and rent/test and compare these cameras yourself, in real life, to make your decision.

Seems to me with a Drone like you have I would stick to a mirrorless m4/3 camera just for the weight savings. Some of the m4/3 lenses are amazingly light for what they are. And there is a lot of them used, along with bodies on the web. Not sure of your payload so that is a limiting factor.

I mean on paper the original Sony A7, A7s with the 28-70mm kit lens is not that heavy either.

8 hours ago, hilema said:

Until now I had a Nikon d5000 then a d7000. Two mid-range (one more than the other...) camera that served me well in my travels. I'm now back home and now don't take much pictures, shoot videos for Youtube and own an hexacopter. 

I'm disappointed with the quality of the d7000 on video

Be aware that after the D7000 that Nikon could quite a decent sized leap forward with their video quality on their APS-C DSLR cameras (something which Canon has yet to really do). 

I'm now back home and now don't take much pictures, shoot videos for Youtube and own an hexacopter. 

Which hexacopter, can it lift your D7000?

All of this said it only misses the budget I have. I don't have an enormous budget but neither do I have an enormous expectation (no red 8k for me... :'( ...) I plan on selling my actual camera and lenses and add a bit on top of that which would equate to 900€ max.

At this price I look for used camera and 2 prime lenses a wide pancake for aerial video and probably a light zoom like a 20-50 but lenses are not the subject of my asking I'll find what I need for lenses I'm not too lost for this part but just keep in mind that on the 900€ some would have to be saved for lenses.

A secondhand Panasonic G7 would only cost a fraction of your budget, and leave heaps of money spare for lenses and other accessories. 

https://www.eoshd.com/2015/06/panasonic-g7-and-metabones-speed-booster-xl-hands-on-super-35mm-4k-for-cheaper/

https://www.eoshd.com/2017/06/smartphone-hack-enables-extra-features-panasonic-cameras/

https://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/20214-g7-internal-recording-hdmi-out/?tab=comments#comment-152360

@hilema

If you mount your camera on your drone, how will you monitor it?

A light and cheap 1080p camera is the Sony a5100 (I bought one used for about $150). An a6000 is also good although a bit heavier than the a5100 (my a6000 cost $300 used).

I think that Panasonic makes some nice (relatively) inexpensive GX series cameras that work well for both 1080p and 4K. Don't know the exact models and prices.

Maybe I am wrong, but just as there are "cat people" and there are "dog people" in the world, there are Sony People and there are Panasonic People. Never the twain shall meet...

:)

Another thought is unless you are a Pro with a lot of money, it is pretty hard to beat the DJI drones with their built in cameras. They have a lot of them now, from cheap to the X7 which is pretty unbelievable. Well so is the price LoL. But the downside is you can't just use the camera on them for normal stuff. Helps to have lots of money for video work.