First Action Cam True (10bit 422) HDR (HLG) Video

markr041

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

There is this ungraded RXO footage to play with, I would presume S Log 2, which is on Vimeo from the comments. Not too fond of no auto focus during video recording!

I downloaded the "original". It is a 15 Mbps file! Junk. This is not what the camera produces internally (50Mbps XAVC S). I will upload to Vimeo later both 50Mbps internal HD XAVC S Slog2 and 4K Slog2 ProRes video clips, not processed.

Report MediaInfo.txt

Here is the Vimeo upload containing original ungraded, untouched FullHD 60P XAVC S Slog2 clips straight from the camera. I had to delete as their was an error. Stay tuned.

In contrast (literally), here is the graded REC709 version of the originally-posted uploaded video shot externally in 4K 10bit 422 in Slog2 so you can see what you get externally:

I will upload the original ungraded 4K ProRes clips for the above video early next week.

9 hours ago, markr041 said:

Now we have another reason to want a small external recorder

Some time ago I was looking at external recorders and learned about the Atomos Ninja Star - something that I assumed would be a spectacularly useful and popular product.  Then I discovered it was discontinued and was stunned.

If you were using the RX0 as an action camera (ie, mounted and used 'blind' - unlike most of the examples here which treat it as a normal camera) then the Ninja Star would be the perfect companion.

Atomos-Ninja-Star.jpg

Maybe Atomos is the Canon of external recorders and protecting the higher models in their range..

1 hour ago, kye said:

Some time ago I was looking at external recorders and learned about the Atomos Ninja Star - something that I assumed would be a spectacularly useful and popular product.  Then I discovered it was discontinued and was stunned.

If you were using the RX0 as an action camera (ie, mounted and used 'blind' - unlike most of the examples here which treat it as a normal camera) then the Ninja Star would be the perfect companion.

Atomos-Ninja-Star.jpg

Maybe Atomos is the Canon of external recorders and protecting the higher models in their range..

The size is right, and given the wide angle it is possible to shoot blind. But, does this model record 10bit 4K via HDMI? Unfortunately not, just 1080. We need an upgraded model.

9 minutes ago, markr041 said:

The size is right, and given the wide angle it is possible to shoot blind. But, does this model record 10bit 4K via HDMI? Unfortunately not, just 1080. We need an upgraded model.

I completely agree.  A new model that did 10bit 4K (and maybe a 'premium' model that does 10bit 4k60) would be excellent.

However, it's worth considering that the RX0 isn't as much of a shooting-blind-action-camera as others because of it's 25mm equivalent lens, as compared to the GoPro at around 14-17mm. For the RX0 the rig where it's mounted to the top of the monitor makes more sense.

Considering that the RX0 isn't fixed focus, how much of a challenge is it in getting focus?  I'd imagine it's got a relatively deep depth of field.

30 minutes ago, kye said:

I completely agree.  A new model that did 10bit 4K (and maybe a 'premium' model that does 10bit 4k60) would be excellent.

However, it's worth considering that the RX0 isn't as much of a shooting-blind-action-camera as others because of it's 25mm equivalent lens, as compared to the GoPro at around 14-17mm. For the RX0 the rig where it's mounted to the top of the monitor makes more sense.

Considering that the RX0 isn't fixed focus, how much of a challenge is it in getting focus?  I'd imagine it's got a relatively deep depth of field.

I agree.

However, the RX0 actually has preset zone focusing for video that exploits the 24mm lens - close= 20"- 3.5 feet. Far=3.5+. This is perfect for blind shooting. You just press one button to go from one to the other and one press back (you can actually use this to do a focus pull while shooting!).

I can't say I am convinced with this camera. I am really disappointed by the internal recording quality. They should have downsampled from 4K as in A7s. And unless BM releases a ninja v2 with 4K, recording externally makes it as large as any other camera. The M43 conversion looks interesting but again ~$1400 is too much for this. 

3 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

I can't say I am convinced with this camera. I am really disappointed by the internal recording quality. They should have downsampled from 4K as in A7s. And unless BM releases a ninja v2 with 4K, recording externally makes it as large as any other camera. The M43 conversion looks interesting but again ~$1400 is too much for this. 

The $249 Z Camera E1 gives you real m43 in a box almost as small, and it does 4K DCI internally.

Yep, that's true 10bit footage. Extracted one frame as a 16bit TIFF and counted unique colors (with Imagemagick's "identify -format %k " command) and got 1,024,646 unique colors. After changing the color depth of the TIFF to 8bit, the result was 191,761 unique colors. 

If the recorder had just recorded an 8bit signal into a 10bit codec, the number of unique colors would have remained the same after the color depth change of the framegrab.

- This means that Sony's consumer camera chips are now 10bit capable and that we should expect external 10bit on the next A7s.

6 minutes ago, cantsin said:

More tests: When I convert the 16bit TIFF to 9bit, 819,542 unique colors remain. When I convert the 16bit TIFF to 10bit, then it's back to 1,024,646 unique colors. That means that the camera's external video signal is true 10bit indeed.

That is some encouraging good news. :grin: