First Action Cam True (10bit 422) HDR (HLG) Video

markr041

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What kind of setup would people use this in?  I thought that by the time you add an external recorder (and likely a cage of some kind to connect the camera and recorder) that the benefit of having an action camera was lost and you may as well have a larger camera.

Not criticising - I'm interested to hear how it would be used :)

22 minutes ago, kye said:

What kind of setup would people use this in?  I thought that by the time you add an external recorder (and likely a cage of some kind to connect the camera and recorder) that the benefit of having an action camera was lost and you may as well have a larger camera.

Stick the camera on your head, have an HDMI cable running over your shoulder and into a bag on your back, monitor in the bag inside some kind of padded box to protect it? It might get a little warm I suppose, but it would work.

It also depends what you use an action camera for. If it's to film inside a car, then you can put the recorder in a number of places to keep it safe and out the way. If it's for surfing, then... don't do this.

54 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

1. HLG and S-Log2 are completely different log gamma, RX0 cannot shoot HLG, only the latest A7III and A7R III can.

2. The 10bit output from RX0 is (internally) padded, from 8bit.

1.  We all know this. You shoot in Slog2/SGamut and in post you convert to HLG/REC202. HLG is a delivery format. I could just as well have produced an HDR10 video, but the HLG format is more compatible with REC709 viewers.

And, no, the Sony FS5 also shoots in HLG as well as the AX700 and its Pro variants. 

2.  And, where is your info on 2.?

3 hours ago, kye said:

Another use, not hypothetical:

RX0 2.jpg

3 hours ago, cantsin said:

Would it be possible for you to share one of original recorder files? (A short one to save bandwidth. You could use WeTransfer and share the download link here.)

I will do this, but unfortunately I will be traveling until Monday and am away from my main computer. I will do it then. I can upload an original 4K ProRes HQ clip (Slog2/SGamut) to Vimeo, where everyone can download it (and see it!)

A Vlogger's setup!! (note that the RX0 has an external mic input).

RX0 3.jpg

Now we have another reason to want a small external recorder: The GH5 can then shoot 4K 60P in 10bit, the FS5 can then shoot 4K DCI RAW or 4K DCI 60P and 120P in 10bit, etc. handheld. The 7" Shogun or Video Assist just look ridiculous and act really awkwardly with these otherwise highly-portable cameras that have this extra capability only externally.

31 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Now we have another reason to want a small external recorder: The GH5 can then shoot 4K 60P in 10bit, the FS5 can then shoot 4K DCI RAW or 4K DCI 60P and 120P in 10bit, etc. handheld. The 7" Shogun or Video Assist just look ridiculous and act really awkwardly with these otherwise highly-portable cameras that have this extra capability only externally.

Yeah I have no clue why there is not one Really good 5" recorder. They all seem to be 7". They are stupid to use for Mirrorless cameras.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Still waiting for proof of his statement several days ago that the Kinefinity Terra 4K uses the same sensor as the GH5S, supplied by Sony Semiconductor. :) 

The theory is that its this one.

Based on the specs, it would add up.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/new_pro/may_2017/imx294cjk_e.html

It is also used in astronomy cameras as well so there does in theory exist a way to make your own very ghetto 4K raw C mount camera system by attaching it to a high end windows tablet. As the module is quite small, it wouldn't be too dissimilar conceptually to what is being shown on this thread attaching the RX0 to an Atomos. Not dissimilar prices either.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-cameras/zwo-asi-294mc-usb-30-colour-camera.html

Someone has done a video here

12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Found this rig setup on cinema5d. They have a damn nice video taken with it.

https://***URL not allowed***/sony-rx0-review-sample-footage-and-first-impressions/

RS102x.jpg

To me, the magic of the camera is its ability to shoot (through an excellent rectilinear WA lens) high-quality 4K externally , which the above rig is not doing. As the review indicates the FullHD internally (420 8bit) is nothing special.