NX1 Extended Dynamic Range? New Settings.

Happy Daze

4 minutes ago, Parker said:

Here's a quick little spot I shot for a local restaurant's facebook cover yesterday, very quick turnaround because those Sammy colors are so gorgeous! This is basically right out of camera, only a tiny bit of tweaking on a few shots. Normal gamma, color sliders at 1.99, sharpness -10, contrast -4, saturation -2, on both the NX1 and NX500 (the only difference being the master black level on the NX1 was at 15 and obviously the NX500 doesn't have this setting). While this isn't showcasing of increased dynamic range per say, I do really like the way it came out looking. 

password is jacks

WOW, looks good, great colours. Great spot to film. 

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/9/2018 at 4:51 AM, Parker said:

Here's a quick little spot I shot for a local restaurant's facebook cover yesterday, very quick turnaround because those Sammy colors are so gorgeous! This is basically right out of camera, only a tiny bit of tweaking on a few shots. Normal gamma, color sliders at 1.99, sharpness -10, contrast -4, saturation -2, on both the NX1 and NX500 (the only difference being the master black level on the NX1 was at 15 and obviously the NX500 doesn't have this setting). While this isn't showcasing of increased dynamic range per say, I do really like the way it came out looking. 

password is jacks

What lens did you use for this video shoot was it a samsung? Also for panning shots of guy when you are moving around did you use a gimbal or steadycam or was that only DIS?

@Allen SmithI shot this using mostly contax zeiss lenses, the 35-70mm f3.4 in particular (on one of Luca's speedboosters) and a couple shots with the contax zeiss 60mm macro as well. The wide shots were all on a zhiyun crane with a rokinon 12mm f/2.

@Mokarawhat issues did you have? It doesn't change the function of the camera at all besides magically making things a stop brighter? The only annoying thing I've ran into is forgetting to turn picture wizard back off for raw stills, otherwise your photos end up a stop or so darker than what you exposed for initially. 

5 hours ago, Parker said:

@Mokarawhat issues did you have? It doesn't change the function of the camera at all besides magically making things a stop brighter? The only annoying thing I've ran into is forgetting to turn picture wizard back off for raw stills, otherwise your photos end up a stop or so darker than what you exposed for initially. 

Does it?

5 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Does it?

I mean, I believe so. Just like if you had the picture wizard set to black and white, for example. Obviously your raw photos would still retain full color information. Playing with the RGB sliders only effects jpegs and video. So like I said it is just a minor annoyance, that if you expose for the brighter looking RGB-boosted image on the LCD your photos show up a little bit darker than you anticipated when they appear in Lightroom or whatever raw photo editor you're using. 

16 hours ago, Parker said:

@Allen SmithI shot this using mostly contax zeiss lenses, the 35-70mm f3.4 in particular (on one of Luca's speedboosters) and a couple shots with the contax zeiss 60mm macro as well. The wide shots were all on a zhiyun crane with a rokinon 12mm f/2.

Because I shoot video dynamically from photomode, and interchange between stills and video constantly. Stills are shot as RAW/JPEG, with the JPEG copy being used for preview purposes and the RAW for final edits. When I need to shoot video I record directly from there, not using movie preview mode, and doing any framing adjustments necessary while the camera is recording. The reason for this is that the tools available to you in stills mode generally are more powerful than what you get in movie mode. The result of that is normally your display is showing the reduced exposure from the compensation adjustment, but not the increased RGB channels. This results in a very dark screen/viewfinder, it only goes normal when you start recording and only at that point can you see if there is an exposure issue or anything of that nature. 

The consequence of all of that is it becomes a major PITA doing all of this the way that I shoot personally. That is not to say the method is not useful or doesn't work for you, but there limitations depending on one's personal shooting style that people need to be aware of.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

messing around with this today. I am at the moment comparing PW with RGB 0.75, 1.00, and 1.99. My initial tests show 0.75 not having any obvious negative side effects, and provides -0.3 roughly of exposure compensation. AKA, similar to a 0.1ND filter. Please note, this is the first of many tests to be done. This test consisted of recording a colorchecker in 3 lighting situations: basement no lights on (light through windows) referred to as LL, normal light on referred to as NL, and lastly an LED flood light aimed at the color checker referred to as BL. All tests were white balanced on a grey card (warm result) and exposed for it as well. Please discuss what you notice about the differences.

LL test settings to achieve proper exposure:

RGB 1.00, EV 0, f2.0, 1/50, iso5000:

ll100.bmp

RGB 1.99, EV -1, f2.0, 1/100(accident), iso5000:

ll199.bmp

RGB 0.75, EV +0.3, f2.0, 1/50, iso6400:

ll75.bmp

NL test settings to achieve proper exposure:

RGB 1.00, EV 0, f2.0, 1/50, iso640:

NL100.bmp

RGB 1.99, EV -1, 1/100 (accident), iso640:

NL199.bmp

RGB 0.75, EV +0.3, 1/50, iso 800:

NL75.bmp

BL test settings to achieve proper exposure:

RGB 1.00, EV 0, f2.0, 1/100, iso100:

BL100.bmp

RGB 1.99, EV -1, f2.0, 1/200, iso100:

BL199.bmp

RGB 0.75, EV +0.3, f2.0, 1/80, iso100:

BL75.bmp

disregard.bmp

next I will do the same tests underexposed a stop. It may take me a day or two to get this together. Upon initial inspection, the 1.99 footage has more highlight info and less shadow/black info. However, in brightly lit tests 1.99 seems to have a smoother black roll-off when boosting shadows, due to what seems to be the fact that it has less lower end info, so it has less steps of black that get noticed. It may appear slightly more contrasty, but macroblocking/posterization is actually less (seemingly). Will be doing overexposure tests once I finish underexposure.