Highlight Roll-Off: GH5, GH5s, A7III and X-H1 and ???

ajay

1 hour ago, ajay said:

Not to speak for Don, but he did state the following in his post

@ajay thanks for the reply! Yes, I did see that in his reply. It's a great "aha" moment. Which created additional questions for me. So I would love to see what he does on the field. 

For example, I do a lot of panorama photos (4 of my large prints are hanging at SmugMug's offices) But I've been doing it for a long time and I have learned a lot from my mistakes. By now, I'm usually on auto-pilot mode. I find the brightest spot in my pano. I expose for that, I check for the color RGB histogram to make sure I'm not clipping reds (daylight) or blues (at near blue hour).  I shoot mostly with 50, 85 or 180. For 180 it's often something far, and I shoot at f/5.6. It's a manual lens, so I focus at f/2.8 and then click down to f/5.6. If it's low light and light is changing fast I even stay at 2.8. For 50 sometimes f/8 with a close foreground and very close I shoot f/11 if I have to. 

I guess, I'm looking to see what his habits are now.  What he defaults to, etc.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, salim said:

@Don Kotlos - very interesting. As someone like myself that is looking into buying a A7iii or A7Riii I'm curious about what your learned and what is now your base settings. Would really appreciate to learn from what you've learned. Thanks! 

I mostly use two settings :

1. cine2/pro ~+10sat 5red color depth 

2. slog2/sgammut3.cine ~+25sat +5red color depth . That is for high contrast scenes. 

I mostly do manual WB with a boost in warmth for outdoor shots. 

Cine1 is the same as Cine2 but using the full 0-255 range. Cine3 is great for skin but is more contrasty than any other gamma, Cine4 is also pretty good but I feel it needs more adjustments in post than Cine2. Avoid Slog3. 

The nice thing with the Picture profiles is that you can play around with the settings until you find something that works for you and how you like the colors.  I mostly use Pro/Cinema/sgammut3.cine but you can get good results with other profiles as well. 

Here is a brief description:

http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1420/v1/en/contents/TP0000435736.html

And here is a more detailed one:

https://docs.sony.com/release/Help_C198100111.pdf

6 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

I mostly use two settings :

1. cine2/pro ~+10sat 5red color depth 

2. slog2/sgammut3.cine ~+25sat +5red color depth . That is for high contrast scenes. 

I mostly do manual WB with a boost in warmth for outdoor shots. 

THANKS!!!! Your reply should be pinned someplace for all the newbies like myself. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well...after much deliberation, I decided to pick up the A7III and I am quite pleased with how well it does in harsh lighting conditions. We're just getting over the last freak spring snowstorm here and used the A7III to film harsh sunlight conditions and it did a fantastic job keeping the highlights from being blown out using SLOG2. I wish it had 60p 4k, but I will live with this for now (I do have the BM 4k pocket on order).

I also did a test on filming the night sky and it did remarkably well. I'd stay away from the highest 3 ISOs as the NR makes it way too mushy but otherwise it's a great camera for low light situations and it takes great stills as well. A great all-around camera.

Anyhow...a big thumbs up for anyone considering the A7III for excellent dynamic range and low-light capability.

The pics are not even from the test. 

They are from a corporate videographers gh5, who claims the gh5 "smokes" the C500.  And for him it probably does. Less weight, hassle ect...

If you are interested in facts here you are. 

www.alfonsoparra.com/images/articulos/investigacion/digital_nohd/pdf/c500_en.pdf. 

For those that don't read:

12 stops for the c500 @ 10 bit.  11.68 for the gh5s "test"   We won't mention bit depth, actual resolution, raw, etc...

What the? That screengrab of the GH5 vs C500 shows a completely different part of the building for both cameras. You can see the "not as much in sunshine"- part on the right side of the C500 shot and that same part fills up the GH5 shot (because the angle is different). Both have burned out the hair at the same area.

25 minutes ago, sam said:

They are from a corporate videographers gh5, who claims the gh5 "smokes" the C500.  And for him it probably does. Less weight, hassle ect...

My best guess is that he was smoking something while making assertions like this: 

"IMO, The Gh5 (even before the "s" model, SMOKES the C500." 

LOL you non-GH5 users are funny... Intriguing comment from a C500 & GH5 shooter, humm?! ; )

Different angles, yeah. But, very distinct results too... Predictions are hard to make or can we accurately do so? Really? Enough to support such claim then from the word given of a reputable member there or not exactly so? :D (Let's give fairness and equity to play their role over bias, no? :P)

Without mention he speaks from the authority of someone claiming he has used both cameras for the same circumstances... ;-)

17 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

Here is a post on DVXUSER that shows the GH5S beating the C500 in highlight roll-off. Very interesting!

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?359026-GH5s-dynamic-range-tests/page3

Regarding this post... maybe it is worth noting that lens used with GH5 was Zeiss-Contax zoom. Somewhere in other thread I wrote that from my experience (and taste), two zooms significantly stand out between all other - Zeiss-Contax T 28-85 and Leica R 28-70... Actually, for some reason that one Zeiss makes incredible, I think unsurpassed match with Panasonic (often better than its prime counterparts) - providing at the same time fascinating resolution, details and smooth gradient, after very sudden out-of-focus-drops behind focused subject... But it is not so "silky" smooth in operation as Leica R 28-70.