Z Cam E2 will have ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FPS in 4K??

IronFilm

• Super Members
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

RED lawyers are either fvcked or useless, or both:

This guy is taking a sledgehammer to the RED company! Showing what a load of B.S. that they've built their entire company upon. 

Yeah, I mentioned his latest video in the BM thread last night.

If what he is saying about the patents stands up (and I have no idea either way) then it will be interesting to see the response from companies that have fallen foul of infringing them.

The whole "Made In The USA" aspect should at least no longer be a stick to beat the likes of Kinefinity and Z Cam with any more.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah, I mentioned his latest video in the BM thread last night.

I haven't even touched that thread yet, don't have time for it!

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

If what he is saying about the patents stands up (and I have no idea either way) then it will be interesting to see the response from companies that have fallen foul of infringing them.

Hopefully won't be just the likes of Z Cam which takes advantage of this opportunity, but also Sony/Panasonic/etc

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/08/14/z-cam-adds-zraw-with-e2-firmware-update/

Not as straightforward as I was hoping it to be. Just 4K/30p for now. SSD use is not advisable.

How Z cameras can fund everything at once is a mystery to me, but voila, they have their own Zraw. They can license it to Nikon probably, it has a catchy name and that cooperation could benefit both companies greatly. I am not very optimistic about Atomos though..

It seems that partial debayering (or something!) is the key to overcome Red's patents (or something!).

7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/08/14/z-cam-adds-zraw-with-e2-firmware-update/

Not as straightforward as I was hoping it to be. Just 4K/30p for now. SSD use is not advisable.

How Z cameras can fund everything at once is a mystery to me, but voila, they have their own Zraw. They can license it to Nikon probably, it has a catchy name and that cooperation could benefit both companies greatly. I am not very optimistic about Atomos though..

It seems that partial debayering (or something!) is the key to overcome Red's patents (or something!).

Yeah zraw is a bad move though. Why would anyone use a raw format that you cannot import in any nle? They should have implemented braw or prores raw instead.

6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah zraw is a bad move though. Why would anyone use a raw format that you cannot import in any nle? They should have implemented braw or prores raw instead.

A few months ago they mentioned working on prores raw via hdmi. They are also working on import plugins for zraw in some nle's. They have repeatedly said braw and prores raw are impossible, idk if its hardware or licensing. Z raw is a "partial debayer." I suspect that they can't do a compressed full bayer because of patents. If braw and prores raw are impossible, then the only options are: A) uncompressed, which would limit frame rates because of write speeds, or B) a new format.

Z cam always seems to make incremental updates and is cautious about overpromising, i bet that within a few months the situation will be better for raw output from their cams, but until then, yeah it isn't a great workflow.

• 1 month later...

A couple weeks ago I shot some test footage with my buddy, John. He's a great actor that has played lead roles in a few of my films. Anyway, to get the old creative juices going again, I invited him over so I could see how the E2 reacted under my Quasar Science RGBX LED lamps. I used a combination of daylight balanced and cyan. I intended to sell the E2 when my F6 arrives at the end of this month, but I think the E2 plus speedbooster will be an excellent b-cam to my F6 when I need high frame rates that the F6 can't reach.

Z-Cam E2

Metabones Speed Booster XL (.64x)

Contax Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 (2x Oval Aperture Mod)

Quasar Science RGBX 4ft LED Tubes

2 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

A couple weeks ago I shot some test footage with my buddy, John. He's a great actor that has played lead roles in a few of my films. Anyway, to get the old creative juices going again, I invited him over so I could see how the E2 reacted under my Quasar Science RGBX LED lamps. I used a combination of daylight balanced and cyan. I intended to sell the E2 when my F6 arrives at the end of this month, but I think the E2 plus speedbooster will be an excellent b-cam to my F6 when I need high frame rates that the F6 can't reach.

Z-Cam E2

Very cool! What frame rates?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 9:19 PM, Zak Forsman said:

Z-Cam E2

That looks great, raw or 10-bit? Been eyeing the E2c to dip a toe in before diving headfirst with one of the s35 or FF models. I really like what Zcam is doing.

Cheers

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

The S6 and F6 preorders are shipping and in customer hands. Can't wait for the footage COUGH @Zak Forsman COUGH

Meanwhile, I just got an E2 and I'm so impressed so far even just by its size and the phone app. Only had it like half a day but here's some footage I shot at 4K60 (180° shutter) in ProRes 422 with ZLog... 

6 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

The S6 and F6 preorders are shipping and in customer hands. Can't wait for the footage COUGH @Zak Forsman COUGH

Haha! This is a still from the first clip i shot on my F6. Leica Summicron-R 35mm f/2. Will post more when I have it. Bought an S1H too, so i'm looking forward to comparing them.

F6_1.14.2.jpg

16 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If you use resolve I think the zraw workflow is more involved. You don't have to deal with the crop factor though. 

I only use Resolve for basic Raw corrections and sometimes a CST before transcoding to ProRes for FCPX. Is there a zraw plug-in for FCPX?