Z Cam E2 will have ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FPS in 4K??

IronFilm

On 1/22/2019 at 8:44 AM, androidlad said:

E2's other party tricks: internal ProRes, anamorphic mode, Zlog2 with 14bit readout for even lower noise floor.

One issue here - I've seen this 14 bit mode mentioned before, and I think this is false.

This is the sensor:

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/new_pro/may_2017/imx294cjk_e.html

It only has one 14-bit readout mode, and it's a 4:3 mode that delivers 3704 (H) × 2778 (V) resolution at 24 fps. The Low Noise mode exposed in the latest firmwares is 24, 25, and 30p DCI and UHD 4K. According to Z Cam folks, the 15-stop mode is possible through a "slower readout mode" which causes much worse rolling shutter. My guess would be the CSI-2 readout (MIPI CSI-2 (1.728 Gbps / Lane) Max. 4lane) mentioned.

Not 100% sure on any of those things, unfortunately. Will try to get some confirmation after the Chinese New Year.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Chris Sjolin said:

One issue here - I've seen this 14 bit mode mentioned before, and I think this is false.

This is the sensor:

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/new_pro/may_2017/imx294cjk_e.html

It only has one 14-bit readout mode, and it's a 4:3 mode that delivers 3704 (H) × 2778 (V) resolution at 24 fps. The Low Noise mode exposed in the latest firmwares is 24, 25, and 30p DCI and UHD 4K. According to Z Cam folks, the 15-stop mode is possible through a "slower readout mode" which causes much worse rolling shutter. My guess would be the CSI-2 readout (MIPI CSI-2 (1.728 Gbps / Lane) Max. 4lane) mentioned.

Not 100% sure on any of those things, unfortunately. Will try to get some confirmation after the Chinese New Year.

If you read the IMX294CJK full data sheet I posted earlier, you'll see the 14bit readout drive has configurable resolution and the framerate can be "overclocked" to maximum 30.

Slower readout refers to precision, not bandwidth as it would have zero effect on the noise floor. 14bit ADC almost doubles the rolling shutter.

19 minutes ago, androidlad said:

If you read the IMX294CJK full data sheet I posted earlier, you'll see the 14bit readout drive has configurable resolution and the framerate can be "overclocked" to maximum 30.

Slower readout refers to precision, not bandwidth as it would have zero effect on the noise floor. 14bit ADC almost doubles the rolling shutter.

Please, could you elaborate it for more mortal users: I'm very interesting just from simple stupid perspective - how much comparatively usable so-call stops it will provides in 24-ish p? Thanks in advance... 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cam1982 said:

webrunner5, yes. Who else?

Well I just think the PK4 looks like a Panasonic output wise. So why buy one when you can get a camera that is better laid out. I have nothing against most BMD cameras, I just would not buy the PK4 simple as that. You have your opinion, I have mine. You want one, have right at it. I just think BMD lost their way CS wise with it. Is it a great buy if you like the output, well sure, that is if you can ever get one.. Probably going to go down as the worse camera roll out ever. Why reward someone for that.

9 minutes ago, cam1982 said:

When Panasonic will deliver RAW then we're talking.

You can buy an old cheap ass recorder and get ProRes Raw out of pretty much any camera that has a HDMI port. And the vast majority of people will F up Raw footage to the point that it will look worse, not better. How many people on here is really worth a shit with grading Raw footage, let alone Bob down the street.

Learn how to get it right in camera.

Well the big problem I see is that people think they are just going to be able to buy a Sony A6000 and throw on a old cheap 23 dollar Nikon, or Pentax lens from ebay and shoot Cinematic footage.

There is a reason movies cost 100 million dollars to shoot. They have the very best cameras, lenses, lighting known to mankind, the best skilled people for every task that money can buy, best editors, graders in the world, and even then it takes them a year or two to make the film. And people expect that they are going to run around doing run n gun with that A6000, and come out with the same look as that movie, even shooting it in Raw., Good luck with that happening.

This shit is Not easy to do without one hell of a lot of learned skill. The camera really doesn't matter to be honest. Biggest thing I see is hardly any one adds in Ambient sounds of the scenes being shot. Just a hooky music track that really has not much to do with the footage, and not much effort to even change the camera angle to get better natural, light let alone adding lighting. I know that stuff is not easy to do, but it is what separates the men from the boys.