Z Cam E2 will have ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FPS in 4K??

IronFilm

8 hours ago, androidlad said:

E2 has more noise in the midtone/shadow than Alexa, the noise pattern is pleasant and monochromatic.

I was talking to E2 founder on Weibo and he was suggesting that the new Zlog2  is not based on Quad-Bayer HDR, instead it's based on a 14bit readout drive mode.

That Quad-Bayer HDR is a bit of a scam. It down-resses first (I am guessing to HD), and then up-resses (back to 4k/3860), to improve dynamic range. So the image is soft and not real 4k. 

8 hours ago, androidlad said:

I was talking to E2 founder on Weibo and he was suggesting that the new Zlog2  is not based on Quad-Bayer HDR, instead it's based on a 14bit readout drive mode.

If it's the same sensor as on the GH5s then the 14-bit is not in 4k. I vaguely remember it at some other (lower?) resolution.

Overall the ECam Z2 is coming along as a great camera. If only they could do great accessories for monitoring and recording (and battery life?), they could have a great camera. And shave off $500 of off the price, while they're at it. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, sanveer said:

That Quad-Bayer HDR is a bit of a scam. It down-resses first (I am guessing to HD), and then up-resses (back to 4k/3860), to improve dynamic range. So the image is soft and not real 4k. 

If it's the same sensor as on the GH5s then the 14-bit is not in 4k. I vaguely remember it at some other (lower?) resolution.

Overall the ECam Z2 is coming along as a great camera. If only they could do great accessories for monitoring and recording (and battery life?), they could have a great camera. And shave off $500 of off the price, while they're at it. 

Who told you it downreses? You have the datasheet. Every pixel has a quad bayer structure, it's essentially a 40MP sensor.

The only 14bit readout drive mode is just enough for 4K.

51 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Who told you it downreses? You have the datasheet. Every pixel has a quad bayer structure, it's essentially a 40MP sensor.

The only 14bit readout drive mode is just enough for 4K.

Whoa. Share the datasheet again. This sounds almost insane. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mark has been working on the comparison for a while so that's also with a slightly older firmware version. I'm glad he finished it. The E2 footage is also with a slightly older firmware and h.265. When he has some time, I also expect that he'll do some ProRes tests since I gave him the trick for enabling it.

I read also this comment elsewhere about the Z Cam E2 and this particular test video demonstration.

5 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

Most of the e2 footage I've seen looks weirdly over sharpened.

Yeah people have complained about that on the facebook group. Apparently z cam is putting a no-sharpening mode into a firmware update, as well as an option for less noise reduction. I am not sure whether the firmware update has been released yet to be honest.

8 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Yeah people have complained about that on the facebook group. Apparently z cam is putting a no-sharpening mode into a firmware update, as well as an option for less noise reduction. I am not sure whether the firmware update has been released yet to be honest.

They said Jan. 1st for new firmware that includes the no sharpening. Almost positive this one was shot with the old log as well. It would be interested to see a new test when the updates are all out (including ProRes HQ). Was interesting to see that Z Cam had the worst rolling shutter. 

3 hours ago, FreshGiant said:

They said Jan. 1st for new firmware that includes the no sharpening. Almost positive this one was shot with the old log as well. It would be interested to see a new test when the updates are all out (including ProRes HQ). Was interesting to see that Z Cam had the worst rolling shutter. 

According to z cam regarding this particular test, the rolling shutter is worse in wdr mode, and should be on par with the gh5s in normal mode.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

To be fair, preorder is not a release. With a “release” you get the product “released” to you. Hence the “release” part. 

On another note I’m taking preorders for the new “Instant Hollywood Blockbuster” camera; it makes everything you shoot look like a Hollywood blockbuster. It’s only $2,499... it comes in two flavors... Spielberg or Bay. The Bay version blows everything the fck up?

Release date TBD.

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

To be fair, preorder is not a release. With a “release” you get the product “released” to you. Hence the “release” part. 

On another note I’m taking preorders for the new “Instant Hollywood Blockbuster” camera; it makes everything you shoot look like a Hollywood blockbuster. It’s only $2,499... it comes in two flavors... Spielberg or Bay. The Bay version blows everything the fck up?

Release date TBD.

..and the difference is you are never going to deliver a camera (except maybe a pin hole one), so you are a criminal, while the good Chinese people of Z have sold thousands of cameras, and they are probably going to sell more, which does make them camera manufacturers, which is completely different than being a con man, promising cameras with the names of famous Hollywood directors and producers that will never deliver.