Putting together a lens set - to cine or not-cine?

ThomHaig

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don’t know, but while the long focus throw on the Veydras and other cine lenses is perfect for use with a follow focus, I would think it would be too long for pulling focus by hand, which is what I think the OP is intending to do, if I’m reading his remarks correctly. Not only that, but most true cine lenses will be unnecessarily large and heavy, as in general, they must all be the same length and have the same outer diameter. Even the Mini Primes are pretty large and heavy when compared to much faster native prime photography lenses.

If you’re in it for the long haul I’d consider the Veydra Mini primes. They hold value better that Rokinon, although theyre more expensive. Optically they’re on par with the newer Zeiss super speeds.

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I don’t know, but while the long focus throw on the Veydras and other cine lenses is perfect for use with a follow focus, I would thing it would be too long for pulling focus by hand, which is what I think the OP is intending to do, if I’m reading his remarks correctly.

The focus throw on the Veydras are nice bc theyre so small. The big cine lenses are truly a huge pain to handheld focus when they’re 300 degrees.

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Veydra has swappable mounts for MFT and E mount, wondering if they could also be used with a suitable adapter mount swapped in for Fuji X mount or Sony FZ mount? 

@jonpais has got Veydra's Fuji X adapter for his set.

He's threatened to shoot some stuff on his X-T2 with them but I think he'll have to hold his nose when going back to shooting 8 bit video, eh Jon? ;) 

It really depends on what type of shooter you are. Me personally I lean more towards the documentary / photojournalism style so I get lenses famed for their use in that field. I put together a nikkor pre ai set and a asahi super takumar set for my a6500. The nikkors have a short focus throw perfect for street photo and the focus is smooth. My Takumars and voigtlander set focuses even smoother which is perfect for my use being a manual focus type of guy. Maybe you can view what you need from that perspective

Rokinons are flimsy plastic lenses with glass ranging from okay to mediocre. I'll use them if they're all that's available, but they're right near the bottom of my list.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but Leica R, Contax Zeiss, Minolta Rokkor (converted to EF), and Voigtlander lenses will provide superior image quality, smooth mechanics, and the ability to travel with you to all future cameras. Won't cost much more either, depending which versions you go with. 

Rokinons are cinema lenses in name only. They're not optimised mechanically or optically for video, beyond the cheap gearing. Invest in something that'll last.

7 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Rokinons are flimsy plastic lenses with glass ranging from okay to mediocre. I'll use them if they're all that's available, but they're right near the bottom of my list.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but Leica R, Contax Zeiss, Minolta Rokkor (converted to EF), and Voigtlander lenses will provide superior image quality, smooth mechanics, and the ability to travel with you to all future cameras. Won't cost much more either, depending which versions you go with. 

Rokinons are cinema lenses in name only. They're not optimised mechanically or optically for video, beyond the cheap gearing. Invest in something that'll last.

+1