Veydra Lenses: challenging preconceived notions of what cheap lenses are capable of doing.

IronFilm

Remember, you can use all Veydra lenses on the Terra 4K! And on Kinefinity's other cameras, such as the newly announced Kinefinity MAVO 6K S35

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/03/veydra-cine-mini-prime-mtf-optical-bench-tests/

I have my preconceived notions, just like anyone else. A long while back the video techs told me we were stocking Veydra Primes in multiple focal lengths for m4/3 mounts. I just rolled my eyes and passed on by. Another boutique lens that would have poor resolution, ridiculous copy-to-copy variation, and a shelf-life-until-broken measured in weeks. Not interested.

But I noticed we were stocking more and more of them because they rented well; and added them in E-mount, too. I also saw they rarely came to repair. Then I did a little checking and found that our techs, who can check out any gear they want for their weekend shoots (it is an excellent perk, isn’t it?) were taking Veydras home pretty often. So I figured it was time to test them.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Read this on the LR blog when it was posted. Impressive performance on m43 sensors - no surprise since that seems to be what they were designed for. They're still really good on APS-c, just not as good. Veydra did a nice job with them. Note the variance, no huge differences from copy to copy, unlike some that are shipping lenses with significant variances. Kudos to the small guys for doing a cracking job. These are companies I like to support.

@jonpais Looks really good. Nice.

Chris

4 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

I remember you commenting on using the Voigts in the past, are the Veydras better? I loved the 17.5 and 42.5 Voigt...

When the Voigtlander Noktons were first introduced over seven years ago, they occupied a unique place in the micro four thirds ecosystem. Not only for their speed, but for their outstanding  build quality - you won’t find craftsmanship like this in any other set of native m4/3 lenses. Cosina later further refined their lenses for filmmakers, adding clickless apertures, something still not found on many native optics. Like the Veydras, the Noktons are completely metal and glass, with no motors or electrical contacts, ensuring that they should give years of dependable service.  Optically, for a long time the Noktons were the benchmark against which other lenses were compared - for their record-breaking resolution anyhow. We’re fortunate nowadays to have a much wider selection of optically superb, fast primes for micro 4/3, and deciding which glass to pair with your Panasonic or Olympus camera has never been more confusing.  It’s important to remember, however, that cinema lenses, more so than photography lenses, are meant to be purchased as a set. The filter thread size, front outer diameter, length and position of the gears are generally identical to make changing lenses when used with a follow focus and matte box less of a chore. Because cine lenses usually live on rails. So before deciding between photography lenses and cinema lenses, the first question should be, do you plan on doing a lot of focus pulling? And if so, are you prepared to invest in a cage, rails, a matte box, a follow focus, an external monitor, batteries, cables, a rig and so on? 

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

When the Voigtlander Noktons were first introduced over seven years ago, they occupied a unique place in the micro four thirds ecosystem. Not only for their speed, but for their outstanding  build quality - you won’t find craftsmanship like this in any other set of native m4/3 lenses. Cosina later further refined their lenses for filmmakers, adding clickless apertures, something still not found on many native optics. Like the Veydras, the Noktons are completely metal and glass, with no motors or electrical contacts, ensuring that they should give years of dependable service.  Optically, for a long time the Noktons were the benchmark against which other lenses were compared - for their record-breaking resolution anyhow. We’re fortunate nowadays to have a much wider selection of optically superb, fast primes for micro 4/3, and deciding which glass to pair with your Panasonic or Olympus camera has never been more confusing.  It’s important to remember, however, that cinema lenses, more so than photography lenses, are meant to be purchased as a set. The filter thread size, front outer diameter, length and position of the gears are generally identical to make changing lenses when used with a follow focus and matte box less of a chore. Because cine lenses usually live on rails. So before deciding between photography lenses and cinema lenses, the first question should be, do you plan on doing a lot of focus pulling? And if so, are you prepared to invest in a cage, rails, a matte box, a follow focus, an external monitor, batteries, cables, a rig and so on? 

:grin: I have owned the Voigts in the past and am well aware of the differences in still and cine lenses, my man! I was just asking which you preferred the look of.

35 minutes ago, TwoScoops said:

:grin: I have owned the Voigts in the past and am well aware of the differences in still and cine lenses, my man! I was just asking which you preferred the look of.

Take 2 Valiums, you will feel better! :grin:  Good review.

http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/micro-43/quick-note-veydra-mini-primes-tested-kickstarter-ending-soon.html

And the link in the article.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/first-look-veydra-mini-primes-for-micro-four-thirds

5 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

hehe. I own the Nokton 17.5mm, never shot with it much and haven't done any side-by-side comparisons with say, the Veydra 16mm. But I think I prefer the Veydras overall.