I'm thinking about starting a film festival...

Liam

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

@kayleeDid you manage to shoot the “drone” scene you asked about a while ago?  If so, how did it go?

im gonna shoot that short soon! wish me luck!!! got it casted, figuring out locations, guerrilla moves etc. thanks for the shout out!!

@IronFilm i clicked those links and i still dont kno what that is lol

4 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Why don’t we try to do a “festival” here on eoshd? Someone suggest a theme and give everyone a week or whatever. We link our offerings, sit back and enjoy... we’d have to agree to do the beer/weed thing remotely.

Big question - how many would participate?

Liam - organise it!!!

I'm in!

Maybe it could be weekly or fortnightly (just don't submit if you are busy during that time) and maybe have an optional challenge, like "something red" or "up high" or "complicated".

I find that the optional challenge might be inspirational.

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It isn't a branch of the government at all:

https://www.aucklandchamber.co.nz/about-us/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland_Chamber_of_Commerce

("Other Services" is why I've been going there so often lately)

Oh okay, virtually the same thing then. Here's an example of my local chamber:

https://www.seattlechamber.com/

14 hours ago, Liam said:

Yeahhh.. I'd do that if I had film buds.

*cries a lot, but in a cool way*

I'm guessing you're pretty young? Building up a network is CRITICAL in this industry if you ever hope to advance in it. The old saying, "It's not what you know, it's who you know" is a harsh reality.  

Film festivals are a very good way to acheive this. At first, your network is a couple people. But then you have to imagine those people know a couple people, etc. Suddenly your web of people has grown and is growing expodentially, so don't feel it's unachievable. 

If you're shy, and lack confidence that's okay. All you need to work on is building up enough courage to start with small steps. Your confidence will grow as you get better and better at it.

It's best to intact confidence while you're young. By the time you hit full adulthood people will have fuller expectations of you. The truth is, as a naturally shy person that feeling never goes away. But how you mitigate it can blossom to the point no one would have ever guessed you are shy. 

I'm very introverted. I don't like large crowds, it feels exhausting to me. I adore my personal space and I like a small group of close friends and deep conversation rather than idle chit chat. But we live in a world that caters and rewards the extroverted. That's just the way it is.

Although introversion is becoming more accepted within western society, it's still not tipping the scale much, unless you're the troubled-starving artist type like Tim Burton.

To be succesful in my career, I had to learn to adapt to society's expectations and demands. That never changes who I am on the core level. It simply just refines me around the edges so that I can acheive success in a world that implores to exist on the surface. 

Even organizing a small film festival could also be a great confidence booster for you. 

1 hour ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

Start small, it's easier to grow than to shrink! 

Why americans can't do anything without insurance?? In Europe we just insure cars, and because you are forced to!!!

Property insurance is sometimes forced and sometimes not. For commercial yes, for residential, it's highly encouraged. Here in the States we live in a "I'll sue your ass off" environment. :)

On 3/29/2018 at 5:02 AM, Matthew Hartman said:

I'm guessing you're pretty young? Building up a network is CRITICAL in this industry if you ever hope to advance in it. The old saying, "It's not what you know, it's who you know" is a harsh reality.  

Indeed who you know (and how many), is almost more important than anything else. 

On 3/29/2018 at 5:02 AM, Matthew Hartman said:

But how you mitigate it can blossom to the point no one would have ever guessed you are shy. 

This. I am an introverted, but I've managed to over the years and years work around to it, that now some of my friends even are surprised when I tell them I'm introverted, they believe I'm the opposite! 

On 3/29/2018 at 7:12 AM, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

Why americans can't do anything without insurance?? In Europe we just insure cars, and because you are forced to!!!

In New Zealand you don't even have to insure your motor vehicle!

I don't.