Handheld 4k60fps footage of Samsung S9

eoslover

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What was the point of shooting at 60fps if you weren't going to conform it into slow mo? There is no other point in using that frame rate as 30fps is plenty suitable. 

@dbp

Samsung doesn't sell mojo. They sell technology. The mojo is up to the person behind the camera. 

4 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Looks incredible for a cell phone

It's a cellphone with a suitable point n shoot camera slapped on the back of it. The smartphone has very little to do with the premise of a phone in the traditional sense. What they truly are is tiny computers with phone capabilities. 

For sure. Nothing against the camera, really. Just that 4K hyper sharp 60p footage looks very......real, but ultimately boring.  The youtube comments suggest that people love it though. Might be a generational thing. 

10 minutes ago, dbp said:

For sure. Nothing against the camera, really. Just that 4K hyper sharp 60p footage looks very......real, but ultimately boring.  The youtube comments suggest that people love it though. Might be a generational thing. 

Are you GenX? Boomer? (I'm GenX) Only the older 30 something GenY would have any familiarity with a look that is different than this. My two GenY and one GenZ children have only known this type of video look on a practical level. They're well acclimated to this look as this is the quentesential look of most social media. If we're comparing the look and feel of this camera on that level then you can certainly understand their enthusiasm.

But I get ya bro. A clean technical image so clean that looks pretty sterile and general. But remember, a lot of this has to also do with the subject matter. Most average people don't know how to tell a visual story, they just document. 

Same camera:

https://youtube/nVnDRbKdzCU

Oversharpened, lower true resolution relative to bigger cameras at 4K, limited color, and jittery. Typical cell phone video, though the dynamic range was better than expected (except the fireworks part, which is overexposed and filled with blow outs).

It is getting old seeing videos from one camera, whether its a cell phone or a Kinefinity. Shoot just a few of these scenes with the cheapest Panasonic 4K shooter (GX85?) and see a big difference. Big difference.

I see no reasons to have double standards. If this were a video from a Sony A6500, everyone would be all over it.

35 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Oversharpened, lower true resolution relative to bigger cameras at 4K, limited color, and jittery. Typical cell phone video, though the dynamic range was better than expected (except the fireworks part, which is overexposed and filled with blow outs).

It is getting old seeing videos from one camera, whether its a cell phone or a Kinefinity. Shoot just a few of these scenes with the cheapest Panasonic 4K shooter (GX85?) and see a big difference. Big difference.

I see no reasons to have double standards. If this were a video from a Sony A6500, everyone would be all over it.

One of the biggest downside is low light performances.

If they put BSI sensor and ND filter in, that may solve some of the issues.

The overheating problem is not that big of a deal in these smartphones so there will be 4k 120fps and 1080p 480fps in just a couple of years 

Many other smartphone companies are also developing multiple focal lengths like 25mm, 50mm, 80mm packaging in one unit

14 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Has there really been improvement since the S7, which also shot 4K? yes, 60p is a step up, but not all that matters. Here is a 4K S7 low light video, looks just as good (bad):

And here is an S8 4K video, inside and outside:

The stabilization is a huge upgrade, I used S8 regularly its just not as good overall

8 hours ago, eoslover said:

Many other smartphone companies are also developing multiple focal lengths like 25mm, 50mm, 80mm packaging in one unit

I'm really looking forward to that.  I remember reading somewhere the estimated cost to Apple for the camera assembly in an iPhone and thought "Shit - I'd gladly pay for 4 of these if you could work out how to output a better image because of it".  Different focal ranges is the obvious step, and would make a phone so much more useful.

I went to go see one of my kids in the school play last night.  I wasn't sure on their policy on taking cameras as they widely publicised they were making their own video of the production.  They had signs up that said that we were allowed to take photos / video of our own kids, but no-one was allowed to publicly upload video containing any other kid without written permission of that kids parents.  I understand that totally.  This is the kind of shooting environment that phones find their way into, and having a wide lens really doesn't help with this at all.

I took high-bitrate 4K footage and will crop in post, but if my phone had 24, 50, and 100mm lenses to choose from then it would be far more suitable for things like this.

Well with folded optics they can even have real zoom lenses in cellphones in the near future. I think in 3 to 4 years it will be here. I would imagine the phones Might have to be a bit thicker??

And with Google reportedly to acquire Lytro that ought to push the envelope. Other than top end gear, camera company's are going to be in deep doo doo in the near future. Smartphones are Really going to take over photo, video to 95% of the people that shoot. I don't really see how they can stay in business long term.

14 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well with folded optics they can even have real zoom lenses in cellphones in the near future. I think in 3 to 4 years it will be here. I would imagine the phones Might have to be a bit thicker??

And with Google reportedly to acquire Lytro that ought to push the envelope. Other than top end gear, camera company's are going to be in deep doo doo in the near future. Smartphones are Really going to take over photo, video to 95% of the people that shoot. I don't really see how they can stay in business long term.

it's true that smartphones getting bigger recently, almost 10-20% thicker than the past for better battery and lenses placements

most of the cameras companies already moved away their businesses from just selling cameras and lenses now. only one or two like Nikon will be in bigger trouble