Dolly wheels?

enny

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
37 minutes ago, enny said:

Hi guys looking to build a camera dolly something like Shuttle Dolly or dena DOLLY i have full access to a machine shop my question is what wheels are they using? in their dolly are they something special

Thanks guys

Two important features to look for are the compound used for the wheel covering and good/quiet bearings. The goal is to reduce friction of any kind. 

Two good options:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1189046-REG/glide_gear_gw_100_dolly_track_swivel_wheel.html?ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=CjwKCAjw4sLVBRAlEiwASblR-0KbegMvgpCRnHgaK3InydhOhRZSUEMxe27xhiMdMMo9uNm4e3CPzRoCbisQAvD_BwE

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/604842-REG/Ikan_FDD_TW_FDD_TW_Track_Wheel_Set.html?ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=CjwKCAjw4sLVBRAlEiwASblR-9gr1SFzErycqwoje4xjHrlGww3vPizpaDxSlHdOzI8OidQMRczzXhoCDb4QAvD_BwE

In addition to the above, it's worth noting that the larger the wheel diameter the better they deal with any loose objects they have to run over.  ie, a bike can easily ride over a power cable but a skateboard would have issues.

You haven't specified where you'd use it, but it's something to consider if it's going to be used on surfaces that aren't perfectly smooth.

7 hours ago, kye said:

In addition to the above, it's worth noting that the larger the wheel diameter the better they deal with any loose objects they have to run over.  ie, a bike can easily ride over a power cable but a skateboard would have issues.

You haven't specified where you'd use it, but it's something to consider if it's going to be used on surfaces that aren't perfectly smooth.

Excellent point/tip. You'll see this a lot with doorway dollies, which can also adapt to rails too. That being said, those dolly systems have shock suspension and somekind of hydraulic boom as well. And they're weighty. 

I'm asking myself if a small electric golf cart would be a good alternative. Bigger wheels, suspension, retrofit a platform on the back with somekind of glidecam or motorized gimbal setup, a grip can drive instead of push or pull a steer handle. Eh? Eh? 

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

I'm asking myself if a small electric golf cart would be a good alternative. Bigger wheels, suspension, retrofit a platform on the back with somekind of glidecam or motorized gimbal setup, a grip can drive instead of push or pull a steer handle. Eh? Eh? 

The Ninebot Pro as a gimbal operator platform has some legs (well, wheels) for something like that.

As well as being able to be ridden, it can also be driven remotely by an app without a human on it thus removing their pesky Z axis thrashing about. As most of the small gimbals use the AlexMos controller which itself can be remote operated then you've got quite a capable package.

Allied with the auto tracker that you backed on Kickstarter we would have ourselves a very nifty operator.

And with a couple of guns, our own Robocop.

21 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The Ninebot Pro as a gimbal operator platform has some legs (well, wheels) for something like that.

As well as being able to be ridden, it can also be driven remotely by an app without a human on it thus removing their pesky Z axis thrashing about. As most of the small gimbals use the AlexMos controller which itself can be remote operated then you've got quite a capable package.

Allied with the auto tracker that you backed on Kickstarter we would have ourselves a very nifty operator.

And with a couple of guns, our own Robocop.

You've definitely got my hamster wheel squeaking here. ?

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's nothing new though, and I'm sure many of you have seen this before: (wait for the how they did it shot)

Blimey.

The new part of it is the you can do it for $500 part now though to be fair ;)

Plus the remote riderless driving of the platform so you don't have to jump off at the end!

4 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

bigger wheels aren't always better though.

And this is the con of the segway system. This is like getting nicked with a shopping cart (or trolley for you Brits) to the extreme. :)

I do like the premise of a segway, the small footprint, virtually no setup, extremely mobile, etc. However it's one more thing to think about while operating. When you have your face buried in a viewfinder or monitor it's not hard to run over stuff you can't see in your peripheral. One of these days, Heaven forbid, a cameraman on a segway is going straight off a cliff. 

They have a camera mounted on a rail system virtually covering the same angle. I guess it's a different network. Guy's battery mount took a hit too.