Mind blowing Canon executive interview

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't mind Canon really but, playing devil's advocate, there must come a point where the controlled trickle down has to speed up a bit to stop even the loyalist of customers thinking its all gone a bit stale and seeking pastures new ?

26wr1a.jpg

This guy certainly has a type, these girls look similar!

Leaving Sony playing alone in the full frame mirrorless segment definitely hurt Canonikon more than they have anticipated. At least they are reacting right now, but Canon has already a mirrorless line up, with a few lenses (7! mostly kit zooms) and a few bodies that can play the entry to mid level game, Nikon is so far away right now, and Sony is so close!

I want to see more pro APS-C bodies in the market, the full frame obsession doesn't mean anything to me.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

AC costs extra in both cars.

Yes it does. Keeping with the car analogy: to the average consumer A/C is a basically a necessary feature in all cars, and we pay for it accordingly. A rear LCD is the camera equivalent of a car A/C: required but we still pay for it. A better car analogy is people wanting 4-wheel drive and a trailer hitch on a Ford Focus. Better buy an F-150.

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Leaving Sony playing alone in the full frame mirrorless segment definitely hurt Canonikon more than they have anticipated. At least they are reacting right now, but Canon has already a mirrorless line up, with a few lenses (7! mostly kit zooms) and a few bodies that can play the entry to mid level game, Nikon is so far away right now, and Sony is so close!

Hopefully Nikon enters mirrorless with a bang this year

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I want to see more pro APS-C bodies in the market, the full frame obsession doesn't mean anything to me.

Agreed! So glad that finally finally FINALLY Nikon updated the D300. About time. 

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

We’re not talking about segmentation in the same way many here are. We’re talking about having to move up into the expensive cinema lineup rather than being able to shoot uncrippled 4K with an interchangeable lens camera like Fuji, Olympus, Sony and Panasonic.

That's actually segmentation. You wrote it yourself, move up into the expensive cinema lineup. I wouldn't necessarily call those others "uncrippled" as for example, Sony does have a tendency to do some clever tricks to it's 4k image. Take the A7rII. Yes it does 4k but badly unless you use the aps-c crop. Or they dim the screen when using 4k. Sony can be really clever in these but don't think for a second that they just accidentally release new features and then do a "but it won't work correctly until the next model"-stuff. Panasonic and not crippled? The GH4 was worse than the unlocked GH2.

36 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

AC costs extra in both cars.

A/C is standard equipment on almost every model car sold in the US. Like a radio, it's included on the base model of even cheap cars, because it's 2018.

5 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Yes it does. Keeping with the car analogy: to the average consumer A/C is a basically a necessary feature in all cars, and we pay for it accordingly. A rear LCD is the camera equivalent of a car A/C: required but we still pay for it. A better car analogy is people wanting 4-wheel drive and a trailer hitch on a Ford Focus. Better buy an F-150.

Maybe not the best analogy. You can get a Ford Focus with All-Wheel-Drive and a trailer hitch. There are of course some capabilities that you physically could not get in a smaller car or in a smaller camera. But there's nothing that prevents Ford from putting AWD on a Focus, and nothing that physically prevents Canon from having 4K video w/ Dual Pixel AF on the M50.

image.thumb.png.69ae06bf65abaa53d131b08e7178aeba.png

These nonsensical analogies and most of this discussion is still based assumptions relating to what someone said. Nobody here knows what's possible with the hardware within the camera. He says they have the tech in the high end cameras like the 5d4, but nowhere does he say that same tech is in the m50.

"With the EOS 5D Mark IV, we do offer 4K video and Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus, so technically it is feasible. But given the position of the M50 in the lineup, we can’t include all of the features available in a product like the 5D IV. Given the position of the product, we wanted to achieve the optimal balance [of features] in a camera in that range. We’ve optimized the M50 as best we can [for its market position], and within those parameters, the combination of 4K video and Dual Pixel CMOS autofocus was not possible."

And he clearly states its about costs.

"The cost required to introduce [features like 4K] into cameras dictates the kind of features that we can introduce [in products of different classes]."

SMH.

Chris

But in this case the feature is already in the camera. Since the M50 4K crop is already 2x, I don’t see how enabling DPAF is going to strain the new DIGIC 8 processor. I prefer Sony’s business model of putting the 693-point AF from their $4,500 a9 in their $2,000 a7 III. As do virtually all reviewers outside the apologists in this forum.

• Super Members
7 hours ago, Nodnarb said:

A/C is standard equipment on almost every model car sold in the US. Like a radio, it's included on the base model of even cheap cars, because it's 2018.

Yeah right, they just give it to you for free. Its not baked into the price or anything...

6 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

These nonsensical analogies and most of this discussion is still based assumptions relating to what someone said. Nobody here knows what's possible with the hardware within the camera. He says they have the tech in the high end cameras like the 5d4, but nowhere does he say that same tech is in the m50.

Exactly, how a few forum dudes believe that they somehow know more than what he actually says is beyond me.

That Panasony and the others does the exact same thing is just ignored.

Attention-starved Mattias posts inflammatory remarks in an attempt to get someone to comment negatively to them and to redirect attention onto himself. For the very same reason, he down votes every comment of mine in an attempt to get me to acknowledge his pathetic, insignificant life since he doesn't receive that sort of attention in real life.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I think you two should both just mute each other if possible... so you never see each other's posts for a while. 

I haven't adressed him in a long time and even asked him to stop talking to me. Nothing seems to help. Its really starting to get weird when he even calls it "off topic" when someone answers something he wrote himself. He constantly attacks people. Lie about what people have said even though its there in black and white... sigh.. 

He even make up lies claiming he knows me and my personal life when everyone knows we live on opposite sides of the planet..

I think I will just stay away from the forum all together until there is a moderator that can deal with this endless toxic BS. 

Happy trails everyone, try to keep it positive and don't let the haters win.

Peace

• Administrators

The Canon M50...

It's going to be a very personal camera, either you will have a USE for it or not.

I personally speaking don't need it. For street photography, I'd prefer to use a Fuji or Leica. X-T20 is around same price as the Canon, so it doesn't necessarily have to be more expensive. Plus the native X-mount lens range is on a different planet to what is currently offered by Canon for EOS-M.

For video, would rather use A7R II, GH5, X-H1. Of course, all a lot more expensive, but they are high-end... M50 is not meant to be.

This is the weakest debut for 4K in a Canon ever, by the way. But if at some point Canon do 4k justice, I'm all in.

1D C was a wonderful beast second hand...and still is.

5D3 raw was a miracle.

There's a lot to like from Canon... But it's ok to hate this one... just as it is ok to love it... if you find a use for a low-end camera, then that's great.

Yamaha has a great(to me) bussines model for keyboards. When they put out a new newest bestest keyboard out, the tecnology from the previous model just goes into the second best model. 

It makes sense...if canon did this we would have had 1dc tech in 6d mk.1 already :)

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎22 at 6:02 PM, jonpais said:

But in this case the feature is already in the camera. Since the M50 4K crop is already 2x, I don’t see how enabling DPAF is going to strain the new DIGIC 8 processor. I prefer Sony’s business model of putting the 693-point AF from their $4,500 a9 in their $2,000 a7 III. As do virtually all reviewers outside the apologists in this forum.

Because that additional processing being done in the 5D4 is performed by a second processor that is not present in the M50?

The Digic 8 processing capabilities are likely not all that different from the Digic 6+, the main difference is the added logic for the 4K hardware encoder. Running the hardware encoder is going to generate a lot of heat and that will limit what else the processor can do since it has to remain within a safe thermal envelope or it will fail. If they stick active cooling onto the processor it probably would be able to do both 4K and PDAF at the same time, but a fan in a small MILC body is not practical.

The reasons these things are not implemented together is because of the limitations of the hardware inside the equipment. It has nothing to do with some kind of artificial market segmentation.