Musings about the Sony RX10iv

hmcindie

Man this could be a great camera. I've always kinda hated the RX10ii and it's only been used to get 100/250fps shots. The 2 second buffer was always a bit low and the colours were wonky. The RX10iv improves upon those two things. But not much else. Also the manual focus ring of the RX10iv is just horrid. Why can't they make them mechnical instead of electronic? Same with the slow as heck zoom. Just a little bit of improvements and these things would kick ass. Also the ND-filter of the RX10ii has been taken out. Love the new zoom range though. We shot some shots for fun, any questions about the cam and I'll try to answer though I only played with it for a day.

It still features some funny 4k shenanigans (like autofocus is worse in 4k than in hd, digital stabilization that works wonders in hd doesn't work in 4k...)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Jadesroom said:

With the RX10iv having a 1" sensor,  how are the dynamic range and the low light capability? In addition, your thoughts on the camera's hlg results.

The dynamic range in stills is about the same as the previous models. In ISO 100 it's pretty good with about 13 stops.

In video it seems to be improved from the RX10ii model but I didn't do any straight comparisons, most of the improvements in the visuals came from better profiles (slog2 / sgamut 3). Lowlight is as shit as any 1" sensor. HLG was not tested. I don't have an HDR monitor and I don't really care about it at the moment. I would assume (??) it's the same as the A7rII/rIII models.