Is there anything yet that is comparable To NX1?

VisualFX

I sold my NX1 and all lenses early last year and now regretting it. I need a new hybrid camera, one mainly for 4k video to create a film reel to give to employers. I'm finding it hard to find something that is both a good still and video camera. 

I'm about to drive myself mad and may just purchase another NX1 and lenses in the meantime. The GH5, GH5s, and even the new A7iii seem to have drawbacks. 

They either have a video crop, no phase detection AF, or other drawbacks. The GH5s looks nice, but only 12mp and that won't work for me for stills. I'd have to get two different bodies and I can't hardly afford one now. GH5 no phase detect and Fuji X-H1 is way expensive for me now. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, VisualFX said:

I sold my NX1 and all lenses early last year and now regretting it. I need a new hybrid camera, one mainly for 4k video to create a film reel to give to employers. I'm finding it hard to find something that is both a good still and video camera. 

I'm about to drive myself mad and may just purchase another NX1 and lenses in the meantime. The GH5, GH5s, and even the new A7iii seem to have drawbacks. 

They either have a video crop, no phase detection AF, or other drawbacks. The GH5s looks nice, but only 12mp and that won't work for me for stills. I'd have to get two different bodies and I can't hardly afford one now. GH5 no phase detect and Fuji X-H1 is way expensive for me now. 

There's no doubt the NX1 was/is a camera ahead of it's time when it was released in 2014. Samsung truly packed feature forward technology into the system, which some speculate it actually hurt camera sales. 

That being said, you're never going to find a perfect camera at any tier and/or price point. Manufacturers have to sell product, which means they have to focus on a handful of features they believe will hook people into buying, while other features get poorly supported or neglected altogether.

There's a finite amount of resources in terms of money, and overhead/expertise, not to mention not all supply chains are unlimited. Samsung is an a well-suited position to accomendate all these things. They are bigger than all the other camera manufacturers combined, and they can secure/supply their own components. For Samsung it's not a question of if, its a question of when, or at all. 

Panasonic, Sony, Fuji, seem to develop decent cameras. But of course, just like the NX1, they have some flaws too. 

What I do is look at the image. Not so much in terms of resolution, but look and feel. For example, what does the motion cadence look like. I then work backwards from there and decide if certain cons are workable to acheive what's most important to me in any camera system. This is going to be different for everyone. 

That being said, as an NX1 owner, we are in a unique position to understand that Panasonic, Sony, Fuji, Canon, Nikon and the rest could be doing a lot more with each new product cycle. Samsung proved this to us in 2014. There seems to be a slow, iterative trajectory that's common within the industry.

Let's be honest, a lot of consumers are willing to throw their money into the pot for iterative features. The manufactures have little incentive to adapt to a more progressive model because they're raking in the dough regardless.  

Another factor is Samsung didn't have any internally competing flagship cinema cameras like the other manufacturers do. The flagship was the NX1. Now it's the Galaxy line of smartphones.

If you truly want to go back to the NX1 system, DM me, I may be able to help get you there with a handful of great glass for a bulk deal.  

I'm holding on to my NX1 for good, especially with the newest intrigue swirling around the possibility of raw video, which sounds bloody fantastic. But it is a true hybrid; I really like the both the stills, and the video that come out of this camera as long as I am in decent light (granted, I would love to have a camera that can shoot above 1600 with no worries, but oh  well). But the new A7III is honestly the very first camera that has come out that seems tempting to me. It seems like a fantastic hybrid! What downsides have you heard about it? Insanely good autofocus for stills, decently fast shooting rate, improved ergonomics and battery life, decent 4k video, really good low-light- the only thing that it is really missing is 4k 60p and 10-bit, neither of which the NX1 have anyway. 

I don't know. I love the NX1. But the A7III does seem like a hell of a camera, especially for a hybrid shooter. 

On 17/3/2018 at 10:05 PM, Parker said:

I'm holding on to my NX1 for good, especially with the newest intrigue swirling around the possibility of raw video, which sounds bloody fantastic. But it is a true hybrid; I really like the both the stills, and the video that come out of this camera as long as I am in decent light (granted, I would love to have a camera that can shoot above 1600 with no worries, but oh  well). But the new A7III is honestly the very first camera that has come out that seems tempting to me. It seems like a fantastic hybrid! What downsides have you heard about it? Insanely good autofocus for stills, decently fast shooting rate, improved ergonomics and battery life, decent 4k video, really good low-light- the only thing that it is really missing is 4k 60p and 10-bit, neither of which the NX1 have anyway. 

I don't know. I love the NX1. But the A7III does seem like a hell of a camera, especially for a hybrid shooter. 

Check at the A7iii thread, there is a bunch of complaints already.

Most of the things you mention are relative to the A7ii, which wasn't a great camera by any means (I hated it!).

The color science is dissapointing again, and even though they improved most things, they still are far behind in touch screen implementation, screens, menu system and ergonomics. Also, native zoom lenses are double the price of Canonikon (without being two times better, actually they are not even slightly better!) and we are not sure about the AF of non Sony lenses), and it is a full frame camera, some people do not like the size/weight/price of glass, or image aesthitics/too much depth of field etc

Certainly is the best Sony ever - for the price -  but except high ISO performance (I never shoot more than 1600, but I would like to be able to, another stop or two) and IBIS (I seriously do not like using it on the GH5) what is better than the NX1? 

In my case, no reason to rush things.

I feel that Canon or Nikon will finally do it.

6 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Check at the A7iii thread, there is a bunch of complaints already.

Most of the things you mention are relative to the A7ii, which wasn't a great camera by any means (I hated it!).

The color science is dissapointing again, and even though they improved most things, they still are far behind in touch screen implementation, screens, menu system and ergonomics. Also, native zoom lenses are double the price of Canonikon (without being two times better, actually they are not even slightly better!) and we are not sure about the AF of non Sony lenses), and it is a full frame camera, some people do not like the size/weight/price of glass, or image aesthitics/too much depth of field etc

Certainly is the best Sony ever - for the price -  but except high ISO performance (I never shoot more than 1600, but I would like to be able to, another stop or two) and IBIS (I seriously do not like using it on the GH5) what is better than the NX1? 

In my case, no reason to rush things.

I feel that Canon or Nikon will finally do it.

I would see if the RAW internal recording on the NX1 comes into fruition. If so, and it's as remarkable and reliable as being touted, we may have to reclassify the NX1 to king of the hill. We'll see what April brings. Hopefully not a cruel joke.