NX1 RAW VIDEO???

timmyturntable

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, lucabutera said:

An anti-moire filter can be mounted to reduce excessive sharpness and artifacts.

SAM_2931.JPG

I'm also curious about how to install the AA filter, care to share? And does it have to fit exactly the NX1 sensor of 23.5mm x 15.7mm? Or could I use one off an old CMOS Canon at 22.2 x 14.8mm?

2 minutes ago, RJBXYZ said:

I'm also curious about how to install the AA filter, care to share? And does it have to fit exactly the NX1 sensor of 23.5mm x 15.7mm? Or could I use one off an old CMOS Canon at 22.2 x 14.8mm?

Yes, that is a very interesting find actually. It could be nice if you could elaborate, we have a whole week to talk about it!

termo on DPR wrote this.

"I solved the problem with ,,MOIRE,, on my Samsung NX1, in FHD resolution. I used one of the Anti Aliasing & Moire Filter, produced in the ,,MosaicEngineering,, company- (www.mosaicengineering.com)  Model filter is ,, VAF-70D ,, created for Canon EOS 70D....

I modified the size of this filter, to be compatible with Samsung NX1 and the results are very positive. Moire is at 70% eliminated"

I used to use Hot Mirror filters as they called them years ago on my DCS 460 Kodak digital camera. Worked pretty well. CCD sensors were pretty bad with Morie.

http://www.caprockdev.com/antimoire.htm

On 3/24/2018 at 8:40 AM, Matthew Hartman said:

Yes, a new post will be created and I'm thinking I need to get Andrew in on this in a bigger way as well. It definitely warrants it.

He's not just a student, he's a young student. I don't want to reveal his age because I'm not sure he's okay sharing that publicaly but you all need to trust me on this particular one. If I were this kid's father I would be very upset at what some of you are doing right now. I realize you didn't know, but you do know now. Because I told you.

Bottom line, school comes first. Yes, we could poke holes in his timing to announce such things in light of busy school exams, but again, he's young. 

So he is a young uni student?!

Yeah that could mean someone very young, I started uni at 16 but that is nothing compared to some others, I was at uni with someone who started at 13!! 

• Super Members

I really don't understand the aspect of anyone referring to this as some sort of scam.

If he starts asking you to send money via Western Union then fair enough but until that happens, what is the issue?

Irrespective of that, I completely understand why @Arikhan is taking his time with this anyway.

Last year, I made a small discovery while looking to build a hardware controller for Panasonic cameras and let everyone know how to do that aspect of it with a simple webpage.

Within days, the "Hey guys whats up..." vloggers were on YouTube showing everyone 'their' hack for Panasonic cameras.

Was I bothered about not being credited? Only by the brazen cheek of it to be honest but the bigger problem was the amount of disinformation it produced which I then had to spend a lot of time on here dealing with, which completely distracted the effort for what I was trying to do in the first place.

And what of that controller?

Well, it had to be back burnered when I had some real projects to do but what has really stalled it is trying to make it into something people can just get parts for off the shelf and have it work without any effort or confusion. 

Functionally, it has been working for months and I could give you all a parts list and some code now and you could have it but it wouldn't be slick enough and bomb proof for me to be comfortable with everyone sourcing the parts and building it themselves.I'm now on my third different hardware platform to make it viable in a turnkey way because I know for a fact that even from just handing out the simple Cinelike D webpage hack that you are making a rod for your own back when it goes into the wild if you don't.

So, the bottom line is that whilst its perfectly fine for me (and probably quite a few people on here) to go and buy a single board computer, flash some code on it, wire some switches to it, put it in a matchbox with a couple of AA batteries and have it controlling my camera, it is not going to be cool when I then try and offer that up for everyone to do themselves. 

It really is not worth the grief you open yourself up for, particularly when as with both my project and @Arikhan 's are not intended for financial gain

Even when its for free, the entitlement game is strong with many people.

Now, what he is doing is many orders of magnitude more complex than my silly little controller, so he has to make sure the technique is 100% bullet proof before he reveals it because while he might be perfectly fine in doing what needs to be done (both in terms of a mod and any consequential workflow) it will be another kettle of fish entirely when the "Hey guys, whats up..." vloggers get hold of it and pass it on (and pass it off as their own) to the general public.

They'll get the fame if it works and @Arikhan will get the blame if it doesn't.

Getting something to work is one thing but getting it to work for everyone else without a lot of hand holding is something entirely different and takes time.

Again, I think people would be well advised to re-read his original comments about this, which he has re-iterated in subsequent ones, about it being perfect for his application and manage their expectations.

• Administrators

For me at this point, it just doesn't stack up. I think it's right not to put pressure on the guy though. No ill feelings towards Arikhan.

However we all have had our hopes raised for a while now... and so at this point it's a bit rude not to give some kind of findings that justifies the hype!

Even if it is just stating the bit depth and bit rate of the 4K raw recordings, so we can see that they get written to SD card and what speed of card we need.

It really is not asking for much.

I for one need to decide whether to get behind it with the support of the blog, or whether to ignore it.

Also from an admin's point of view... He's got himself into quite a bit of a position of trust, which as we have seen before on forums, can be dangerous when our trust gets abused. So only right to ask some polite questions... And with respect for potentially a great talent, probe a bit deeper and figure things out.

I am shocked by the sometimes malicious comments of some (also dedicated and long known) members of this forum.

Actually, this forum is characterized by a tolerant and friendly manners. That is also a reason for me to have a look here for years and sometimes to write.

Unfortunately, you do not notice here every post that the author should be older or more experienced than Arikhan.

Especially as an NX1 owner, it should be possible to show patience and not to jump at any provocation (I mean initial hate posts) just because a young person was not experienced enough to wait a little while to publish his discovery.

Give Arikahn the opportunity to prove himself.

And please keep your good manners.

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Even if it is just stating the bit depth and bit rate of the 4K raw recordings, so we can see that they get written to SD card and what speed of card we need.

You never know, depending on how its done, it might be more relevant to know what sort of screwdrivers and soldering iron you need ;)

27 minutes ago, lucabutera said:

Good morning everybody!

Today I received a "raw" file in my email from an anonymous person.
The image file not suffer from excessive sharpness but precedes by six days the release date.

https://www.4shared.com/get/HfSyK06oca/raw-nx1.html

Trying to look at your picture, but the site 4shared has a lot of download buttons not for the raw file. More spam than file... Can you share it a different way?

9 minutes ago, keessie65 said:

Trying to look at your picture, but the site 4shared has a lot of download buttons not for the raw file. More spam than file... Can you share it a different way?

It's a joke : a picture saying "oops april fools!". So don't waste your time like I did with mine, thanks to lucabutera...

• Administrators
2 hours ago, derderimmermuedeist said:

I am shocked by the sometimes malicious comments of some (also dedicated and long known) members of this forum.

Actually, this forum is characterized by a tolerant and friendly manners. That is also a reason for me to have a look here for years and sometimes to write.

Unfortunately, you do not notice here every post that the author should be older or more experienced than Arikhan.

Especially as an NX1 owner, it should be possible to show patience and not to jump at any provocation (I mean initial hate posts) just because a young person was not experienced enough to wait a little while to publish his discovery.

Give Arikahn the opportunity to prove himself.

And please keep your good manners.

I agree we should be polite until more is known.

That doesn't mean to say we don't deserve to know.

Arikahn does need to answer the questions better than he has so far.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I agree we should be polite until more is known.

That doesn't mean to say we don't deserve to know.

Arikahn does need to answer the questions better than he has so far.

agreed. It is very simple to answer some specifics of this mod, how it is implemented, what it entails, without divulging anything he wants to keep secret until fine tuning is done. 

The boy has already answered many questions, especially now with his silence he gave a clear answer:
He has no proof to show you.
I defended her initially but then at the second image I understood the joke!
Who would shoot a video vertically?
The image has a 4/3 ratio and is downscaled to a 6480 x 4320 = 1800 x 1200 image.
This is not possible in UHD video frames but only in a 4/3 image.
Moreover, the two images are very different, the second image is clearly a 16bit color sampling while the first presents the characteristic defects of the 4.2.0 and codec h265 that can not be justified by the detail captured by the lens.

Ironic that some of the posters have now changed their position on how we should approach this after @Andrew Reid states how he feels about the situation ?

anyway I wouldn’t mind buying an NX1 again if this is true as I have no allegiance to a specific camera manufacturer. I have always supported the NX1 and I support those still behind the system. What I am very cautious of however are gigantic claims made on forums.

understand that certain claims can trigger another young filmmaker to buy equipment based off of a lie or a misrepresentation of the facts buy another user. It has happened to me and other young filmmakers so its vital we vet the information being posted online if we truly care about the community.

We had a young, famous, knowledgeable scam artist on this forum named Eebrahim Sadaawi (?) that we all still see on other forums misleading people. THIS is why some of us are reacting this way. Not because we want to bully some kid with vast programming language who is able to do what many other haven’t been able to do before.

Whether for or against we have a habit of jumping to conclusions without receiving all the facts. What we are asking for is the facts. Now are we not supposed to ask because of the posters age ? I think thats what going on here. Arikhan is too young to be questioned which defies rational thought imo. Hopefully for the sake of those apparently emotionally invested in this hack it materializes itself on April 1st.

@lucabutera that vertical photo is what gave it away for me ? BUT lets wait til to the 1st. It clearly is a downscaled still image shot in portrait mode with a religious amount of sharpening. We dont want to put too much pressure on this kid though so lets wait til the first and see. Hopefully this is the real thing

@kidzrevil

The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

We just waste time and keystrokes for no particular reason at all, April 1st is in 6 days and a bit.

If anyone goes to buy a dozen of NX1 cameras because, maybe, maybe, there is a workflow, involving hardware tampered of a modern camera (full of electronic things I couldn't even name them!) that achieves some kind of raw, without sound, and only - as of now - in 24 (or was it 25?) frames, then what can I say about that person?  or anyone with such a limited capability of thinking and acting accordingly?

Arikhan never misleaded anyone, never, and that guy Sadaawi, you all referring too, it seemed like full of s@#% since when I log in this forum. I was seriously surprised that everyone seemed to upvote whatever he was typing! If Arikhan asks anyone for 200euros to "reveal" his secret, then call him out, I don't believe that is the case though, but if it is, we will be here, judge and act accordingly. 

Human relationships are dynamic.

P.S Your first sentence is lame (if this is still a valid word to say in the 21th century). Who are these people? What are their motives?