NX1 RAW VIDEO???

timmyturntable

38 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@kidzrevil + @lucabutera

Here is a screenshot from an early release. 

UHD | 25fps | 1/50 | Manual WB (blue hour like human eye sees it) | Zeiss O 28mm 1.4 at F7.1 | edit in post: slight WB correction | File edited with Premiere CC | Workflow recommended by @Mattias Burling --> here <--

EXP_245_FFM.jpg

Dope ! When can we see it in motion ? Is it possible to upload a dng ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Beautiful image! The view at the top of the city is exciting but this image jpeg is an export of Lightroom ...
You have to upload a short original file (just 2-3 second)  to a hosting site, only in this way you will be able to demonstrate your ability.
@ArikhanIf you did it, congratulations.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Arikhan said:

@kidzrevil + @lucabutera

Here is a screenshot from an early release. 

UHD | 25fps | 1/50 | Manual WB (blue hour like human eye sees it) | Zeiss O 28mm 1.4 at F7.1 | edit in post: slight WB correction | File edited with Premiere CC | Workflow recommended by @Mattias Burling --> here <--

EXP_245_FFM.jpg

Great work sir.

Will you be sharing the raw files themselves soon?

And these are uncompressed?!

Thanks. It was you @Andrew Reid who made me to buy this camera years ago. It was specially the Lisbon video...You were one of the guys not wining and criticizing the H265 (at that time not such popular in this industry), but encouraging people to give this camera a try. Thanks a lot.

25 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Will you be sharing the raw files themselves soon?

And these are uncompressed?!

Andrew, just give me some time to work on this...I tried to explain a few things and got provoked and insulted - because people probably not understandung what I mean. I'd like to share the work first...Above this, there are some serious legal aspects to consider - and there is no answer yet from a lawyer society specialized in this issues...

When this is done, I will share the RAW footage for evaluation. Please consider, I am a one man band when working on this - and got a live with many friends, family, sports, shootings, etc. After university-entrance diploma examinations, I will have some more time to spend on it.

Be assured, I'll share my results here.

BTW: Zero interest in financial compensation when working on this.

21 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Noise reduction at 1600 iso ?  Poof. Gone with RAW.

This. Thanks for mentionning.

BUT...Personally, I stopped shooting it over ISO 800. This puppy shines at 100% when it gets enough AND great light. From the right direction. But, at the end of the day, this is a matter of personal taste and preference.

You'll see the differences between ISO 100-200 and 800+ when I'll post some studio scenes. Under ISO 200, this camera is really hard to beat, when it comes to detail, microcontrast AND color rendition (with the right lens on it).

11 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

This. Thanks for mentionning.

BUT...Personally, I stopped shooting it over ISO 800. This puppy shines at 100% when it gets enough AND great light. From the right direction. But, at the end of the day, this is a matter of personal taste and preference.

You'll see the differences between ISO 100-200 and 800+ when I'll post some studio scenes. Under ISO 200, this camera is really hard to beat, when it comes to detail, microcontrast AND color rendition (with the right lens on it).

is a hack installed on the sd card?

This definitely seems interesting but I am a little skeptical. I’m confused because I’m unsure if this is an in camera hack where you’ve figured out how to write motion or cdng files in the NX1 (or an equivalent like MLV) or if this requires something in post to complete the process? If it is internal I can only imagine you may have harnessed the Raw timelapse function or something? I don’t know... interesting either way and I look forward to the results. Any way it would work on an NX500?

16 minutes ago, mercer said:

This definitely seems interesting but I am a little skeptical. I’m confused because I’m unsure if this is an in camera hack where you’ve figured out how to write motion or cdng files in the NX1 (or an equivalent like MLV) or if this requires something in post to complete the process? If it is internal I can only imagine you may have harnessed the Raw timelapse function or something? I don’t know... interesting either way and I look forward to the results. Any way it would work on an NX500?

What if Samsung already had Raw capability in there but in their infinite wisdom decided to compress to H265 to differentiate itself from competitors and to also allow for smaller SD cards to be used? Don't forget, at the time of designing the NX1 SD card capacity barely reached 32GB and speeds were much lower than today. RAW probably requires really fast cards. Theoretically RAW is what should coming out 1st and then compressed so having RAW is probably in there already.

21 minutes ago, undecided said:

What if Samsung already had Raw capability in there but in their infinite wisdom decided to compress to H265 to differentiate itself from competitors and to also allow for smaller SD cards to be used? Don't forget, at the time of designing the NX1 SD card capacity barely reached 32GB and speeds were much lower than today. RAW probably requires really fast cards. Theoretically RAW is what should coming out 1st and then compressed so having RAW is probably in there already.

I don’t know. Maybe? Yes? Definitely? No way? My level of programming is barely understanding how ML Raw works. As I understand it, really fast cards are needed for the buffer. With ML Raw, the 5D3 is king due to CF Cards and buffering speeds. 4K Raw is buggy and not even stable or continuous in 14bit.

So I am led to believe that this is a combination in camera and post process to receive this Raw video.

But again... I don’t know. But I will be interested to find out. The fact that he is worried about the legal aspect makes me even more curious because there shouldn’t be any legal issues with modifying your own camera. The ML team could not be sued for doing it, so it seems this shouldn’t be an issue either?

1 hour ago, Arikhan said:

Above this, there are some serious legal aspects to consider

Regarding untouched footage - I am not sure why it should be problem. You can always claim to Samsung layers that it was all just joke and footage was captured by eg. RED camera and EXIF of DNG files has been edited :grin:  However I can understand your worries in case you will release that hack for public usage. Needles to say that Magic Lantern team thinks that tuning own cameras is completely fine in same way as you can tune your own car or whatever. Moreover there were 2 hacks for NX1 in past and I think both guys who developed them have not faced any legal actions. 

I am sorry to say that but frame you have provided looks like heavily compressed and oversharpened H265. I really hope that real RAW sample is much better than this. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I’m confused because I’m unsure if this is an in camera hack where you’ve figured out how to write motion or cdng files in the NX1 (or an equivalent like MLV) or if this requires something in post to complete the process?

This is exactly what I have been wondering.

@Arikhan

Great work!  Can you please say whether you are hacking the camera itself or are you applying your "IDOB"/stacking process outside of the camera?  ... or are you doing both?

Thanks!

Guys, please give this kid some space. We all want this project to be a success and there's so many questions to be asked. He knows that.

I think if you all knew his age you'd back off a little. He's susceptible to peer pressure. Some of you are obviously baiting him, which is not cool. You're letting impatience direct your actions. 

Please, just chill. He said he needed a little time, just let it be with the hope of good things to come soon, and if not you still have a great camera nonetheless.  

17 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

When the time arrives, I would suggest @Arikhan and/or @Matthew Hartman to make a new thread on the dedicated sub forum (NX1/NX500 hack) where is dedicated to the NX community, and a lot of magic happened there already!

edit: really weird when full grown men pushing a student for "proof" of his pet project. Let him breath!

Yes, a new post will be created and I'm thinking I need to get Andrew in on this in a bigger way as well. It definitely warrants it.

He's not just a student, he's a young student. I don't want to reveal his age because I'm not sure he's okay sharing that publicaly but you all need to trust me on this particular one. If I were this kid's father I would be very upset at what some of you are doing right now. I realize you didn't know, but you do know now. Because I told you.

Bottom line, school comes first. Yes, we could poke holes in his timing to announce such things in light of busy school exams, but again, he's young. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

the legal aspect makes me even more curious because there shouldn’t be any legal issues with modifying your own camera.

Full ACK - no problem. I can do with my cameras whatever I want.

But problems could begin when making it public...:confused: There are some hardware modifications (at least at the moment) too...So...But that's what I told you at the very beginning. I said: "I opened the box"...

Workflow is as simple as I said when revealing the properties of the screenshot: It's a workflow @Mattias Burling shared on YT in 2014. Nothing new there. It's a common DNG workflow. 

@Matthew Hartman im having trouble understanding what his age has to do with anything. We are inquiring if its real. There’s no age limit to provide proof of product. If this is another NX1 raw hoax we will kindly & quietly move on regardless of the user posting it.

like anything in life if you make a claim provide evidence to support said claim.