NX1 RAW VIDEO???

timmyturntable

5 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Can we get a screenshot ? A link ? Something ? This has been rumored since I’ve had the NX1 like two years ago. I wanna see proof

It's coming apparently in about two weeks. I know as much as anyone else here does, I've been merely asked to assist with communications when or if the examples start showing up. I will not step on Arikhan's toes on this. 

I've been around in the NX1 communities since I bought the camera in early 2015. I've seen plenty of action on various hacks, some have materialized, others lost in the ethos, but I have never seen anyone ever claim they had a working RAW workflow, so I'm a little suspect or uneducated about the claim that it's been a known rumor for many years.

Sure, the question has been raised plenty of times, but no one ever said they had a working "prototpye" to my knowledge, and in fact the existing hacker community pretty much wrote it off as impossible. Perhaps, impossible for their level of expertise or approach, all due respect. 

Arikhan set a date. Let's allow him to make good on that first before we write it off. We're all in the same boat here. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 20.3.2018 at 5:25 AM, vaga said:

If  @Arikhan is completely serious, I want in on the hacking as well. I'm an EE student as well and have been writing embedded firmware for stuff like SSD's, so this linux-based camera is so freaking cool to me. I've been on this forum on and off for like 2 years now. Recently I started looking again for an NX1 with S Lens on Craigslist and Ebay and I can't find any good deals. Been deciding between GH5, Ursa Mini, and NX1 for semi-pro use, but would love to get an NX1 so that I could try writing some hacks.

Been slowly trawling through @Otto K's github repo and a good amount makes sense but the some of the setup instructions don't (I think they will once I have a camera and start digging through the menus).

Anyone see any good deals?

1850€ all in 

@Matthew Hartman I kinda was the one who started beating the drums for the nx1 hack and the whole thread dedicated to it ??‍♂️

we spoke about a hack numerous times in the petition for an nx1 hack thread and it never materialized. The furthest the hack went was an increase in bitrate and how you load it. After that there were no real developments on the nx1 so I got rid of mine. This is why I am very cynical about rumors of another nx1 raw. Seeing is believing for me so im waiting for someone to present something a little more solid than “its coming”. Not being combative or anything but this has been spoken about before 

21 hours ago, mnewxcv said:

subbed. Just picked up some gear too so this would be sweet.

29498142_10156082202952988_4440304947732414464_n.jpg

Even without RAW output, you still have a great system on your hands. You can get some great coverage with 3 cams that will all match up perfectly. 

On 3/21/2018 at 2:02 PM, IronFilm said:

Conspiracy theory alert:

Arikhan started this rumor purely because he has a heap of NX1 bodies he wants to offload on eBay at the highest prices possible! ;-) 

Well, that would be the cleverest strategy I've seen to date. ;) 

I'm going to suspend disbelief on this one though. The guy is highlighting some very technical approaches in PM that have me seriously thinking this is legit. Either way, the kid seems pretty brilliant.  

3 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

I'm going to suspend disbelief on this one though. The guy is highlighting some very technical approaches in PM that have me seriously thinking this is legit. Either way, the kid seems pretty brilliant.  

yea I agree. I'm not quite sure what he's doing with matlab tho... that wouldn't run on the camera itself

31 minutes ago, vaga said:

yea I agree. I'm not quite sure what he's doing with matlab tho... that wouldn't run on the camera itself

MATLAB runs on Linux as well. 

But yeah, would be a totally weird choice to run on a camera. (even though I'm a fan of MATLAB myself! Spent many many many many many hours with MATLAB. Not quite sure what was the earliest version I ever used of MATLAB, but it must have been at least MATLAB 6, maybe even MATLAB 5. And now I'm starting to show my age....   Edit: heh, I just remembered many years ago I even used a super ancient version of MATLAB, maybe was MATLAB 4 or even MATLAB 3?! Because I was running a physics experiment which the program for gathering the data only ran on a particular PC which only could have that much older MATLAB installed on it. Fun times)

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

MATLAB runs on Linux as well. 

But yeah, would be a totally weird choice to run on a camera. (even though I'm a fan of MATLAB myself! Spent many many many many many hours with MATLAB. Not quite sure what was the earliest version I ever used of MATLAB, but it must have been at least MATLAB 6, maybe even MATLAB 5. And now I'm starting to show my age....   Edit: heh, I just remembered many years ago I even used a super ancient version of MATLAB, maybe was MATLAB 4 or even MATLAB 3?! Because I was running a physics experiment which the program for gathering the data only ran on a particular PC which only could have that much older MATLAB installed on it. Fun times)

Isn't Tizen a fork of Linux? 

Yeah from memory Tizen kinda grew out of what the LiMo (Linux Mobile) project used to be?! 

Thus I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility that MATLAB could "run" (with some issues) on a Samsung camera... :-o 

But even so, even *if* possible, it strikes me as an extremely odd thing to do!

Edit:

As yes, I am right:

The Tizen Association (Formerly The LiMo (Linux Mobile) Foundation) is a non-profit technology consortium organization dedicated to creating the first truly open, hardware-independent, Linux-based mobile operating system for smartphone mobile devices. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizen_Association

38 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

Yes. At the moment I work much with 24fps, as after some changes, I got unregular frame skipping when doing 25p. 

What are the implications of raw shooting in the nx1? Are you getting full readout? Is rolling shutter effect lessened? Video ISO noise? Is it still an issue over 3200?

Thx

p.s. Did this involve poking values into registers/memory locations or were you able to recompile the firmware?