Anamorphic Lens-yclopedia.

Tito Ferradans

First, I'd like to apologize for the pun in the title, then, explain what's the catch, to see if anybody is interested.

THE greatest advantage of this forum is pretty obvious: everyone is willing to help and answer questions. But it gets kind of dull to answer the same thing numerous times over dozens of threads. Like "do I need rails for that?" "what lens should I buy?", "how can I mount this?", "is it heavy?", "what's the filter size for XYZ lens?" etc...

Based on what I read here, almost all frequent users had at least a couple different lenses and knows their advantages and quirks, as well as many important detail about them (which is very hard to find through google). I myself had about ten different anamorphics so far, and still look to test some more.

The main idea is to compile all of this data into a series of threads, named according to each lens, so everyone can have easy access to it. Then, use one main thread as index. All threads first/main posts will be constantly updated until every field is filled. (something like this chart - http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Anamorphic_Lenses - but with more useful information).

I'm thinking basic information, like:

LENS NAME
A couple photos of it (standardized size and resolution) and a link to a more comprehensive gallery.
Maker:
Weight: (in grams and pounds)
Front element size: glass only, in millimeters
Rear element size: glass only, in millimeters
Taking lens minimum focal length (based on Full Frame):
Stretch:
Focusing mode: single focus, dual focus, focus through, etc
Minimum focusing distance:
Mounting solution: Is there a specific clamp for it? Just using stepping rings will do the job? links to custom setups, etc...
Filter thread: size, or solution to create threads (front clamp, gluing rings...)

Pros: everything we can come up that is good about it, advantages when compared to other lenses. Like "don't need diopters", very lightweight, sharp edge to edge, flares nicely (this can also be seen as a con), etc...

Cons: well, pretty much the opposite of the things above! bad image quality on edges, chromatic aberration, requires tiny apertures, etc...

Tricks of the trade / Observations: anything specific regarding working with this particular lens, that wasn't mentioned properly in any of the above fields. Rehousing options (and prices), repairs, mods, etc...

Do you guys think there's something missing? I've decided to avoid fields like "score" or "price range", since they change dramatically from time to time, or user to user. Is this a good idea?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice idea. It should definately include pictures (of the lens) and samples taken with the lens!

Maybe recommended taking lenses? with examples?

How about making a real Wiki out of it? Don't know how difficult that is.. but you see a lot of custom wiki's around, like the super8wiki you mention, or camerapedia.

Looks pretty easy to start one here: http://www.wikia.com/Wikia

Nice idea. It should definately include pictures (of the lens) and samples taken with the lens!

Maybe recommended taking lenses? with examples?

How about making a real Wiki out of it? Don't know how difficult that is.. but you see a lot of custom wiki's around, like the super8wiki you mention, or camerapedia.

Looks pretty easy to start one here: http://www.wikia.com/Wikia

It's a good idea to recommend taking lenses, specially those perfect matches.

About the wiki, I think they all look the same, and it's rather hard to find things on them. It's not such a huge project, I think. Also (personal opinion) I'm kind of lazy when it comes to signing up into a new site and all, understanding the codes to write, layout, etc. I mean, everyone is here, and I believe this is the internet-center for anamorphic discussion. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible :P

Finally, below the main (first) post about a lens, we can have all sorts of other posts regarding it, with quick viewing and replying.

I'll start making a list of all lenses I can remember here, and we can add as many as possible (specially if people have them available, for measuring and providing information). Is it a good start?

Good points. The downside of the forum is that everybody can only edit their own posts. Would be nice if multiple people can tell something about one lens. Especially the popular ones.

Yep, that's true. I'm planning on being the responsible person to collect data from multiple people, creating the first post for every lens, and editing it enough to fulfill the main fields. Below it, everyone can say whatever they want! :D

While making the list, I remembered that many lenses have a 'nickname', or the exact same design has different names (like Sankor and Singer, etc). That should be a good field too. "Also known as:"

Anyway, here's what I could find/remember:

Proskar Ishico 16/2x

Cinevision 1.5x

Izukar Scope 1.5x

Kinoscope 1.5x

Panavision Superama

Elmoscope I

Elmoscope II

Iscorama (the one that detaches from a 50mm prime)

Iscorama 36

Iscorama 42

Iscorama 54

Isco Centavision

Isco Widescreen 2000

Iscomorphot 8/1.5x

Isco Anamorphot 8/1.5x (fixed focus)

Iscomorphot 8/2x

Iscomorphot 16/2x

Isco Video Attachment I

Isco Video Attachment II

Kowa Prominar 16-S

Kowa Prominar 16-H / 8-Z

Kowa Prominar 16-D

Kowa Prominar 16-A

Kowa for Bell & Howell

Kowa C-35 (1.5x)

Bell & Howell Projection Lens

Optex Anamorphic Attachment

Panasonic LA7200

Sun

Hypergonar Hi-Fi 2

Hypergonar S.T.O.P.

Baby Hypergonar

Old Delft Vistascope 8mm

Old Delft Vistascope 16mm

Sankor 16-D

Sankor 16-C

Bolex Moller 8/19/1.5x

Bolex Moller 16/32/1.5x

Bolex Moller 32/1.5x

Bolex Moller 32/2x

Bolex Moller 30/2x

Century Optics 16:9 Ratio Converter (37mm, 52mm, 58mm, Bayo)

Century Optics WS-13SB

Apefos Anamorphic Lens

Dog Schidt Anamorphics

SLR Magic Anamorphic

LOMO Squarefronts

LOMO Roundfronts

Sankor Projection Lens

Schneider Projection Lens

Bausch and Lomb Projection Lens

Isco Ultra-Star Projection Lens

Dunno if you're already planning it, but the collection-type threads on a gaming forum I used to frequent would often have the author and maintainer re-edit the topmost message(s) in the thread, re-adding relevant information posted in replies to the original message so folks wouldn't have to search through the entire thread.  Otherwise information this dense gets lost and its intended usefulness as a reference resource gets lost with it and the thread dies.

Dunno if you're already planning it, but the collection-type threads on a gaming forum I used to frequent would often have the author and maintainer re-edit the topmost message(s) in the thread, re-adding relevant information posted in replies to the original message so folks wouldn't have to search through the entire thread.  Otherwise information this dense gets lost and its intended usefulness as a reference resource gets lost with it and the thread dies.

That's exactly what I had in mind. :)

Important stuff on top, regular discussion, opinions, etc below.

You passed on a few :

Benoist Berthiot Cinemascope 16m/m (Hypergonar) 6 various models (The best)

Hypergonar HI FI 1

Hypergonar C35 (Gorgeous George)

Carl Zeiss Jena and Rectoscop at Rathenow several models

Dyaliscope - several models - attachments and full lenses http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/dyaliscope_lenses.pdf

plus some rare versions by Andre Fougrat

Ruralscope

SK Cinelux series

Totalvision

and now to being useful instead of crackin' jokes:

shigascope x1.5

Izukar-scope x1.5

Elmoscope 16 x2 ( i think, the one with the longer rear barrel similar to a sankor 16, cant be sure as i've never had a sankor)

Kowa Prominar 8 x1.5

Sorry for the delay, guys. Went all nerd with latest MagicLantern releases and announcements.

Thanks for all the lenses in the list. How many of them do you actually own?

I'll write a quick/cheap and simple guide to make clean pictures with white background so we can use them for each lens.

QuickHitRecord, you mean a google spreadsheet for the whole guide, or just for the lens list?

i have owned the ones i listed.

still have the elmoscope 16 as i'm really liking the x2 for still photography, yet its not as bulky as the larger 8z.

and the shigascope sure as hell aint goin nowhere anytime soon :P

bidding on a couple more this week, but prices here have started to go up too,.. probably my fault :P

QuickHitRecord, you mean a google spreadsheet for the whole guide, or just for the lens list?

I haven't authored one in a while, but I think that you used to be able to make a Google Docs spreadsheet editable to anyone with an email address. Also, I think that it saves versions of itself in case we get some spherical lens fanboy who tries to delete it or SPAM it.

Oook, I managed to test some stuff at google docs and it might come in handy. I'm thinking about a folder with lots of files, and an index to point the all.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BzVcUB-5ReiZajVncE9rYU9heDQ&usp=sharing

Would be safe to assume that everyone who replied here so far is interested in helping? Could you PM me with your emails, so I can allow you all to edit the files? (this can be open to EVERYONE too, but I think it would be a bit risky, since I haven't found the subversion control yet.)