Canon M50 vs Samsung NX500 vs NX30

flip21

• Super Members
1 hour ago, flip21 said:

yess the 5300, but with mic input, where is it? 

I don't get it?!?! How does this thing works? Could this work with the Nx500??? The Nx500 has USB. Someone (Otto) tried to use a USB mic with the NX500 but it doesn't work, i guess... The NX500 is almost perfect. As anyone tried one of this with their NX500/Sony A6000?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fantastic-USB-to-3-5mm-Microphone-Mic-Adapter-Cable-for-GoPro-Hero-3-Camera-DSUK/391990274800?epid=14012640860&hash=item5b4470eaf0:g:AfsAAOSwciVXP~Ef

Its intended for game capture from PS4 and XBOX etc but it can record anything with an HDMI output.

It has the mic input so that gamers can add commentary as they are playing and it is embedded with the recorded video onto the USB stick.

For vloggers this means that they could use it to capture video from their camera and get themselves the mic input that manufacturers don't want to give them.

It was a slightly tongue in cheek suggestion but to be honest its viable in situations where you might want fast turnround and don't have the latitude to record external audio and post sync.

And at fifty quid its cheaper than a camera upgrade !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have the EM10 mic, and it is not compatible with the NX500, which is nuts. it is compatible with the older models, but not with the NX500. The EM 10 is a great mic. and so compact... 

I didn't buy the Gx80 because it didn't offer a mic input, how crazy is that?!?!

Anyway, how can anyone do what you have shown to the NX500? I would gladly pay someone for this hack ;), although if we could connect somewhow the MIC via the USB input of the NX500... like this USB mic for the gopro...

image.png.64711087f876b7657cfda2ddadfe029a.png

By the Way BTM_PIX I'm about to order the 3.5 LCD and the battery. I was wondering how did you fixed the power bank to the LCD, did you glue it? Does it fit in the acrylic box of the LCD? I already have the thing to attach the LCD to the tripod. Also, with a power bank of 2200 MA, how long does it last until the battery drains with the LCD? 

• Super Members
53 minutes ago, flip21 said:

Anyway, how can anyone do what you have shown to the NX500? I would gladly pay someone for this hack ;), although if we could connect somewhow the MIC via the USB input of the NX500... like this USB mic for the gopro...

I suspect there might be but you'd have to get someone to take one apart and trace the internal mics.

Again, I'd hazard a guess that where I've put the red star on this NX500 pic might be a place to start.

mx500.thumb.jpg.a8e7cbb0a024481ab301b1ab70c66a09.jpg

57 minutes ago, flip21 said:

By the Way BTM_PIX I'm about to order the 3.5 LCD and the battery. I was wondering how did you fixed the power bank to the LCD, did you glue it? Does it fit in the acrylic box of the LCD? I already have the thing to attach the LCD to the tripod. Also, with a power bank of 2200 MA, how long does it last until the battery drains with the LCD? 

I've found a similar credit card sized power bank in a drawer earlier so I'll pop it on tomorrow and give it a try.

I just have the bare board so just gaffa tape it on the back.

30 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I suspect there might be but you'd have to get someone to take one apart and trace the internal mics.

Again, I'd hazard a guess that where I've put the red star on this NX500 pic might be a place to start.

mx500.thumb.jpg.a8e7cbb0a024481ab301b1ab70c66a09.jpg

I've found a similar credit card sized power bank in a drawer earlier so I'll pop it on tomorrow and give it a try.

I just have the bare board so just gaffa tape it on the back.

Is that your NX500? 

In terms of hardware do you think the NX500 is superior to the M50? Do you think Canon , or magic lantern, could add Dual Pixel AF in 4k video on a new firmware?  or 120fps at 1080p? If the camera doesn't overheats like Sony, it could be a great camera... I just wish Sony launched the A6500 on this Canon body :(

I really love the Nx50 body, so handy, and it has a great flip out screen.. maybe it's better in low light than the NX500 too... and there is this great lens coming out...

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/canon-will-finally-announce-a-decent-fast-ef-m-lens-32mm-f1-4-stm-coming-soon/

Anyway, the 3.5 LCD I'm going to buy offer a acrylic case... maybe we could put the power bank inside it too:

image.png.feb5cf2d48103fb71846ecd25420fd8a.png

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, flip21 said:

Is that your NX500? 

In terms of hardware do you think the NX500 is superior to the M50? Do you think Canon , or magic lantern, could add Dual Pixel AF in 4k video on a new firmware?  or 120fps at 1080p? If the camera doesn't overheats like Sony, it could be a great camera... I just wish Sony launched the A6500 on this Canon body :(

I really love the Nx50 body, so handy, and it has a great flip out screen.. maybe it's better in low light than the NX500 too... and there is this great lens coming out...

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/canon-will-finally-announce-a-decent-fast-ef-m-lens-32mm-f1-4-stm-coming-soon/

Anyway, the 3.5 LCD I'm going to buy offer a acrylic case... maybe we could put the power bank inside it too:

image.png.feb5cf2d48103fb71846ecd25420fd8a.png

No, not mine.

Its a teardown someone has done.

I've got no experience with either camera so I wouldn't be able to give an informed opinion.

However, if the NX-1 RAW thing that is in the other thread is possible on the NX-500 then it might become a whole lot more interesting.

Yes, looks more than adequate space wise to fit the slim power bank in.

• Super Members
12 hours ago, flip21 said:

OK, I've just run a test.

The one I have is 3000 mAH so its slightly higher capacity and it has 4 LED bars for showing its charge level.

After 2 hours running the monitor, it is still showing 4 bars so I think you'll be fine with the one you've bought !

• Super Members
9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

So, all in all, one needs the monitor, a powering source and an HDMI/USB adapters to make a small and inexpensive monitor?

Yes but make sure that the ones you look at have the HDMI input as some (as in those links) just connect directly to the pins of the Raspberry Pi.

But if you want to get really fancy.......

This is a 5.5 inch 1080p OLED panel complete with the interface to allow you to connect HDMI and to power it from USB.

5-5-inch-OLED-display-with-capacitive.thumb.jpg.a32556d42435346f67784dedd17ba9be.jpg

The screen is the same resolution but slightly bigger than say the SmallHD 501 and at 350 nits is not quite as bright but still at least 2x brighter than the camera LCDs.

Now, obviously, you don't get the focus aids etc so its just the monitor but its a hell of a monitor for $99.

Thats for a minimum order of 5 though.

Group buy anyone????

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/5-5-inch-OLED-display-with_60686118107.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.147.472a41ecLpwASS

I would dig such a little project (and dead easy for sure!). 100$ OLED and 5.5"  sounds amazing!

I would care for the 4" as well, as a cheap solution. 3.5" is too close to camera's monitor, 4" is quite further away, my Focus is 5" and I wish it was 5.5"!!

We 3 are based in Europe @BTM_Pix in UK, @flip21 in Portugal and me in Greece. The logistics are weird,  but not impossible!

On 3/16/2018 at 11:32 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Alway thought the Osmo would be an ideal vlogging camera, especially the Plus version as its wider angle and has the optical zoom.

Smaller sensor but tons of features (including mic input obviously) and free orientation of the monitor. The double tap thing to rotate the camera from selfie to world view would be a boon too I would imagine, let alone the stabiliser. 

They're available at decent prices used as well.

I was getting tempted until I saw that:

Sony EXMOR R 1/2.3" CMOS

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1276833-REG/dji_cp_zm_000425_osmo_handheld_gimbal_camera.html

Oh well. As I don't see the point really in doing that vs just putting my own cellphone on a gimbal?!

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

The screen is the same resolution but slightly bigger than say the SmallHD 501 and at 350 nits is not quite as bright but still at least 2x brighter than the camera LCDs.

Now, obviously, you don't get the focus aids etc so its just the monitor but its a hell of a monitor for $99.

Thats for a minimum order of 5 though.

Group buy anyone????

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/5-5-inch-OLED-display-with_60686118107.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.147.472a41ecLpwASS

Wow. Much wow. 

Much tempting!

28 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

We 3 are based in Europe @BTM_Pix in UK, @flip21 in Portugal and me in Greece. The logistics are weird,  but not impossible!

I think to complete this, we need someone based in Egypt as well to send all this to first for redistribution. 

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Oh well. As I don't see the point really in doing that vs just putting my own cellphone on a gimbal?!

Optical zoom?

The remote control aspect from the phone gives it a PTZ capability that makes it very useful for numerous things (and an absolute BARGAIN compared to dedicated HD PTZ cameras) but, yeah, the sensor struggles beyond ISO800 so its no IQ monster.

Having said that, my phone camera is utterly abysmal (and my cunning "Operation Hydrogen" ruse was an epic fail yesterday)so its a big step up for me!

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

I would dig such a little project (and dead easy for sure!). 100$ OLED and 5.5"  sounds amazing!

I would care for the 4" as well, as a cheap solution. 3.5" is too close to camera's monitor, 4" is quite further away, my Focus is 5" and I wish it was 5.5"!!

I'm going to have a bit of a deeper dig and see if I can find a supplier who will do single piece sales.

Hi, 

What about this one? 

I bought this car monitor here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Touch-Screen-VGA-POS-Color-LED-Display-HDMI-HD-1080-RCA-AV-TFT-LCD-Monitor-UK-/362267038681?hash=item5458cc53d9

My only problem is the screw/thread/bolt... the monitor doesn't fit the tripod thread 1/4"(6,35mm). I try buying the same long bolt to enlarge the thread but in Portugal, it is different metric system. They sell 5mm or 6mm bolts, so I cannot adappt the monitor to my tripod :(. can anyone, living in the states. or elsewhere, send me a long 1/4" thread like the one seen on the video above :) ? the one he uses in the video to make the monitor thread larger, to fit the tripod? THANKS

• Super Members

The precise spec of the bolt you are looking for is called 

1/4"-20 UNC 

This is the only one which will give you the correct thread for a tripod mount.

You can get them from this eBay supplier, just select 1/4" UNC from the drop down and the length you need. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNC-CAP-SCREWS-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-ALLEN-KEY-BOLTS-8-10-1-4-5-16-3-8-7-16-1-2-UNC/360625314824?hash=item53f6f19c08:m:mJEkhMGnq717oR5a_ObktYg

For what its worth, if you are going to be mounting and unmounting it with any regularity then I'd look at getting one of these, which you would screw into the new thread you've made (and secure it with a nut on the other side) which will effectively give it a 'real' tripod mount and that way you won't be running the risk of cross threading when you are attaching it and detaching it.

mount.thumb.jpg.1fccda717f551c2e61e53694bab5dca0.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Inch-Male-to-1-4-Inch-Female-Screw-Adapter-For-Camera-Tripod-Flash-Bracket/282556381030?hash=item41c9ac3766:g:fekAAOSw61haaaUV

By the way, I'd check the size of that monitor.

As from the picture in the listing, either its far, far bigger than 7" or that is one compact human operating it ;)

s-l1600.thumb.png.a879cbd42670362b42d1c90bba157ef6.png

33 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The precise spec of the bolt you are looking for is called 

1/4"-20 UNC 

This is the only one which will give you the correct thread for a tripod mount.

You can get them from this eBay supplier, just select 1/4" UNC from the drop down and the length you need. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNC-CAP-SCREWS-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-ALLEN-KEY-BOLTS-8-10-1-4-5-16-3-8-7-16-1-2-UNC/360625314824?hash=item53f6f19c08:m:mJEkhMGnq717oR5a_ObktYg

For what its worth, if you are going to be mounting and unmounting it with any regularity then I'd look at getting one of these, which you would screw into the new thread you've made (and secure it with a nut on the other side) which will effectively give it a 'real' tripod mount and that way you won't be running the risk of cross threading when you are attaching it and detaching it.

mount.thumb.jpg.1fccda717f551c2e61e53694bab5dca0.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Inch-Male-to-1-4-Inch-Female-Screw-Adapter-For-Camera-Tripod-Flash-Bracket/282556381030?hash=item41c9ac3766:g:fekAAOSw61haaaUV

By the way, I'd check the size of that monitor.

As from the picture in the listing, either its far, far bigger than 7" or that is one compact human operating it ;)

s-l1600.thumb.png.a879cbd42670362b42d1c90bba157ef6.png

Thanks :) I'm gonna order those right away. It is 7" alright, and has a cover. It is light. I bought it elsewhere but is the same LCD. I'm sure... the cover is nice, and it has some sort of speakers... it is not as small as the one you told before, but you can judge its size comparing it with the A6300 size...

I'm thinking on gluing the powerbank on the back of it. Maybe there is another way of fixing the battery, without covering the ventilation of the monitor :(.... 

I'm also thinking on buying a cage. This one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282668444400

oh!! it is too expensive to order those bolts from europe...

Do you think these are the same? From China?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-32-1-4-HIGH-TENSILE-GRADE-12-9-UNC-HEX-SOCKET-CAP-SCREWS-ALLEN-BOLTS-SHCS/122509999063?hash=item1c862a3bd7:m:mEjtwAinbEK5fQY4-GTd-VQ

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, flip21 said:

oh!! it is too expensive to order those bolts from europe...

Do you think these are the same? From China?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-32-1-4-HIGH-TENSILE-GRADE-12-9-UNC-HEX-SOCKET-CAP-SCREWS-ALLEN-BOLTS-SHCS/122509999063?hash=item1c862a3bd7:m:mEjtwAinbEK5fQY4-GTd-VQ

Had a bit of a senior moment there and should have pointed out that if you buy the adapter that I linked to then of course you get the correct bolt for free as its actually attached to it!