Canon M50 vs Samsung NX500 vs NX30

flip21

Hi there,

I know, cheap canon mirrorless cameras are crap. Canon is holding back technology, I also know that. I also know that the Somy A6300 is much better than the Canon, and it costs the same. I know all that stuff, but I really need a compact mirrorless camera with mic input, and with a fully articulated LCD.

Sony, insist on not implementing a fully articulated LCD on their mirrorless cameras, despite all their camcorders, that shoot worse video, offering it. Lets summarize it shall we:

The A6500 has mic input but no selfie LCD, and great AF;

The NX500 has a selfie LCD but no mic input, and great AF;

The Panasonic G7 has everything, but poor AF for video;

The Fuji X20 has mic inout, great AF, but no Selfie LCD, and no 120fps 1080p;

The new and more expensive A7III has mic input, but no selfie LCD.

This is going on since I start using a Canon DSLR to shoot video LLLOONNGGG time ago.

So the Canon M50 could be a possibility. It a kind of a NX30, with mic input, with manual audio levels, and a kind of 4k video. Right?

I know the M50 has everything (fully articulated screen, mic input, is compact) but poor AF in 4K, and no 1080p 120FPS. 

How do you compare the 4K video of the M50 against the NX500? Do they crop the same? Is the AF of the Nx500 so much better? What about low light?

Next, if we only shoot 1080p, how can you compare the video quality against the Nx500, and the Nx30?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you're able to add an external screen instead of the flippable LCD then there are very cheap options available - 

We've all been playing this game for a long time..  well, with the exception of the LCD problem for those of us who don't film ourselves.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, flip21 said:

But do you need the rastbery Pi?

No, its just that's what the screens are usually used for.

You just give it HDMI and some USB power and away you go. There are some very thin credit card sized USB power banks that you could just tape on to the back to both keep the size down and make into a case.

As I stressed in the original post, don't expect it to be a replacement for a SmallHD 501 or whatever but I'd say that for vlogging it's more a case of confirming framing so its adequate for that.

The thing about Sony is that they have the flip up on their much cheaper HD only APS-C A5100 which is pretty much the same form factor case as the A6300 so they ARE doing this to annoy you ;)

but the LCD doesn't have inputs. I really don't understand... It's only the LCD, right? It needs the rastberry woth its inputs, right?!!?

here take a look:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5-inch-LCD-display-Monitor-Suitable-for-Raspberry-Pi-V3-0-with-Touch-Screen-H8/162870969536?hash=item25ebddc4c0:g:vH4AAOSws0Jaar-I

Is there any one on sale with both HDMI and USB inputs? 

2 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

No, its just that's what the screens are usually used for.

You just give it HDMI and some USB power and away you go. There are some very thin credit card sized USB power banks that you could just tape on to the back to both keep the size down and make into a case.

As I stressed in the original post, don't expect it to be a replacement for a SmallFocus or whatever but I'd say that for vlogging it's more a case of confirming framing so its adequate for that.

The thing about Sony is that they have the flip up on their much cheaper HD only APS-C A5100 which is pretty much the same form factor case as the A6300 so they ARE doing this to annoy you ;)

ok, is this one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5inch-1920x1080-touch-screen-LCD-Display-HDMI-For-Raspberry-Pi-2-3-b-Monitor/322560909683?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D43781%26meid%3D9c35d05710e54427b0cbe448cc06c087%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D162870969536%26itm%3D322560909683&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

The M50 should be as good as the NX500 with a hair less MPs. The crop is about the same and I’d suspect in most situations, the M50s 4K AF will be better.

Plus the NX500 doesn’t have full time focus peaking, so as soon as you hit record you lose it plus there was something odd with framing... I believe it had to do with it not having an official movie mode. 

And finally, if you need this for vlogging, the 1080p will be fine with great DPAF and no crop.

Thanks Mercer. In fact, I wanted to hear something like that :) What abot low light. I know that the NX500 is not good above 1600 ISO. Do you wich one is better?

Also, if I add an adapter for Canon EOS lenses, a cheaper one ;), can I expect the same AF, as in native lenses?

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Im pretty sure nx500 still use pdaf even in 4K, unlike m50 uses cdaf in 4K, so nx500 is much better usability wise in terms of tracking in 4K 

That's right, and the M50 also cannot shoot 25p or 30p in 4K (only 24p). Anyone vlog in 24p? Cinematic vlogs? And I am sure its IQ will be inferior to that of the NX500 in 4K.

Buying an NX500 right now at $700-$800 (used price) and Lenses for it is akin to buying a bag of rocks.

In static shots the 4K I’ve seen from the M50 looks pretty good. The rolling shutter is troubling and the AF needs some tweaking but the 1080p looks really good with amazing AF. So I’m my opinion, I think it’s an okay first effort into 4K in the entry level, consumer camera, 4K market.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

There is 1 at 375$ from a reputable member of dpr at the moment

i believe flip21 already owns a nx500, so that going to cost him null.

Yes, I own a Nx500. It is a wonderful camera :). And my guess is that it is better in 4K video, at least in terms of AF, than the Canon M50, which is odd, because it is almost 3 years old, i guess....

As Kisaha must know I'm tiered of complaining about the NX500 not offering a mic input. That's my main issue with the camera. Also the flip out screen flips upwards, so it blocks the external mic (my Zoom H1). The M50 body is great, and I guess the 1080p t0o. I just wish we could compare the low light performance of both. The canon lenses are cheap...

I really intend to buy the new Sony A7 III, one day (when its price drops), but I'm also looking for a cheap and compact camera with mic input for vlogging, and a fully articulated screen.

By the way, Kisaha, do you think the AF performance that we can expect from the M50 in 4K, to be as good as the Nx30/300, or worse? Better than the Panasonic GH4?

Thanks to both :)

Sorry, didn’t realize you already have an NX500. I didn’t own a native lens when I owned mine, so honestly I didn’t even realize it had PDAF... I probably wouldn’t have used it anyway at the time.

With that being said, the 4K AF on the M50 does not look that good... don’t know if that is a dealbreaker for you. Rolling shutter doesn’t look that great either and I don’t remember there being any issues with RS on the NX500.

So if you need really clean 4K with PDAF quality AF, the M50 isn’t probably for you. If you can get by with good 1080p and the best AF in the industry, then maybe it’s worth it. 

20 hours ago, flip21 said:

I know all that stuff, but I really need a compact mirrorless camera with mic input, and with a fully articulated LCD.

I feel exactly the same way! Any great vlogging cameras needs this. 

Wish there would be 1" compacts with these simple features. 

20 hours ago, flip21 said:

The Panasonic G7 has everything, but poor AF for video;

I wouldn't mind that too much. But the G7/G80/G85 are kinda bulky ish, so I wish that say the future GF6 successor (which has has a flip up screen) would simply gain a mic input (and of course it would have 4K! d'oh)

19 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Been so many years and still the a5100 hasn't been updated :-( 

An a5300 (even if it overheats and has short battery life) with a mic input and 4K would be a sweet choice for vlogging with. 

• Super Members
52 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Alway thought the Osmo would be an ideal vlogging camera, especially the Plus version as its wider angle and has the optical zoom.

Smaller sensor but tons of features (including mic input obviously) and free orientation of the monitor. The double tap thing to rotate the camera from selfie to world view would be a boon too I would imagine, let alone the stabiliser. 

They're available at decent prices used as well.

Anyway.......

Here is some lateral thought to get round manufacturer's borderline kinky fetish of not putting mic inputs on any of these cameras.

With this portable HDMI recorder you can add a mic input to ANY small camera for only £66 ;)

I'm almost certain it can be persuaded to be USB powered as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074Z3K8C1/ref=psdc_949408031_t2_B00VM4J4Y6

And how can you resist a product that lists the mic input feature as "Support the microphone input voice more vivid to show" ?

As Doge would say....

doge.jpg.9f3b9a1a48b22871a844a2cdf55b6140.jpg

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

This is interesting, not 4K ofcourse. Do we know the video quality in 1080, and the sound quality (in terms of hardware)?

I am wondering if one could open such a camera and make use of the internal cabling for the inbuilt mic..

No, I have no experience of it but, like the others in that sector, it'll be suitable for its target platform which is YouTube.

Which of course is the same target platform as vloggers.

With regard to mic inputs, someone cut open a Panasonic (either GX80 or LX100) and did it so its possible. I'd be curious to see a tear down of say a G80 next to a GX80 to see a comparison of where the mic input is routed...

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I wouldn't mind that too much. But the G7/G80/G85 are kinda bulky ish, so I wish that say the future GF6 successor (which has has a flip up screen) would simply gain a mic input (and of course it would have 4K! d'oh)

Been so many years and still the a5100 hasn't been updated :-( 

An a5300 (even if it overheats and has short battery life) with a mic input and 4K would be a sweet choice for vlogging with. 

yess the 5300, but with mic input, where is it? 

57 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Alway thought the Osmo would be an ideal vlogging camera, especially the Plus version as its wider angle and has the optical zoom.

Smaller sensor but tons of features (including mic input obviously) and free orientation of the monitor. The double tap thing to rotate the camera from selfie to world view would be a boon too I would imagine, let alone the stabiliser. 

They're available at decent prices used as well.

Anyway.......

Here is some lateral thought to get round manufacturer's borderline kinky fetish of not putting mic inputs on any of these cameras.

With this portable HDMI recorder you can add a mic input to ANY small camera for only £66 ;)

I'm almost certain it can be persuaded to be USB powered as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074Z3K8C1/ref=psdc_949408031_t2_B00VM4J4Y6

And how can you resist a product that lists the mic input feature as "Support the microphone input voice more vivid to show" ?

As Doge would say....

doge.jpg.9f3b9a1a48b22871a844a2cdf55b6140.jpg

I don't get it?!?! How does this thing works? Could this work with the Nx500??? The Nx500 has USB. Someone (Otto) tried to use a USB mic with the NX500 but it doesn't work, i guess... The NX500 is almost perfect. As anyone tried one of this with their NX500/Sony A6000?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fantastic-USB-to-3-5mm-Microphone-Mic-Adapter-Cable-for-GoPro-Hero-3-Camera-DSUK/391990274800?epid=14012640860&hash=item5b4470eaf0:g:AfsAAOSwciVXP~Ef