Zacuto: C200 vs EVA1 - Camera Shootout

Kisaha

15 hours ago, ntblowz said:

raw as is not a option for us since we already have a hard time keep up with free space giving the volume we are working

The beauty of sound vs video is I have less to worry when it comes to storage space :-D

14 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I know for sure that people are using GH5's for video clips, when a few years ago it was unheard to use such a cheap camera.

But people used the GH1 and GH2 as well.....  they're not unheard of?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The beauty of sound vs video is I have less to worry when it comes to storage space :-D

But people used the GH1 and GH2 as well.....  they're not unheard of?

I mean, "instead of Red and top Sony and Canon cine cameras".

I don't mean in general, specifically in the video clip industry here.

Ursa mini pro took the place of Red cameras too. Alexa's remain untouched by the trends.

22 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I mean, "instead of Red and top Sony and Canon cine cameras".

I am sure that was true of the GH2 as well!

22 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Ursa mini pro took the place of Red cameras too. Alexa's remain untouched by the trends.

I bet at the low end there are some shoots which would have tried to stretch to an Arri Alexa, but instead now can go for an URSA Mini instead

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I am sure that was true of the GH2 as well!

I bet at the low end there are some shoots which would have tried to stretch to an Arri Alexa, but instead now can go for an URSA Mini instead

I am talking specifically about this market, which is quite limited, so we know most things about most things. GH2 "revolution" never happened here. People started caring about Panasonic with the GH4 and on, and there wasn't any mainstream music video clip happened in the GH4 that I know.

A lot of people still use Canon 5D iii AND ii, Canon and Sony are huge here.

Alexa is a tier of its own, Red is supposedly under Alexa, and it seems to be hurt by these newer cheaper cameras.

The above are relevant to this specific market.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Alexa is a tier of its own, Red is supposedly under Alexa, and it seems to be hurt by these newer cheaper cameras.

Yeah I am sure Red is not a happy camper since Arri has come out with the Alexa LF. Red still has the 8k stuff, but man that has to be a damned limited market. Top end films, and a few that do big time VFX stuff. But I don't see Red going out of business anytime soon! They have some great products, it just to me it is not very film like looking.

On 3/19/2018 at 6:58 AM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah I am sure Red is not a happy camper since Arri has come out with the Alexa LF. Red still has the 8k stuff, but man that has to be a damned limited market. Top end films, and a few that do big time VFX stuff.

And RED is no longer alone in the "greater than 4K" market, as Panasonic, Kinefinity, & others have offerings in this niche as well.

On 18/3/2018 at 6:58 PM, webrunner5 said:

Yeah I am sure Red is not a happy camper since Arri has come out with the Alexa LF. Red still has the 8k stuff, but man that has to be a damned limited market. Top end films, and a few that do big time VFX stuff. But I don't see Red going out of business anytime soon! They have some great products, it just to me it is not very film like looking.

Not just you, most DPs I know don't like Red and couldn't care less about 8K, they'd rather choose an Alexa any day. In fact, top end films are still shot mostly on a combination of Alexa, Alexa mini, film... The Alexa LF is referred to by some as the "Netflix Alexa" since the lack of true 4K made other Alexas non-eligible for Netflix Originals -something Red really took advantage of-.