SmallHD 501 $599 flash sale - a deal or not?

salim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@salim Which camera will you be using it with? How will you be using it? Do you already own another recorder/monitor? Will you be shooting outdoors in bright light? Will you need SDI connectors at some point in the future? The Focus is $100 less and seems a little more versatile. There are also 7” monitors by Feelworld and others that are substantially less expensive; or, for a couple hundred dollars more, you can pick up a 4K monitor/recorder. 

6 hours ago, salim said:

So I got a 24-hour flash sale deal from Adorama for a smallHD 501 for $599. Is this a deal or just a marketing ploy? 

https://www.adorama.com/smmon501.html?emailprice=t&utm_source=slgt&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Snapshot&utm_content=Body&utm_campaign=Email_Snapshot_031318&

It seems that SmallHD have discontinued this model, probably to have a new one with the touch screen interface.

It is a good price for what it is (and it isn't the SDI version, just HDMI In and Out), when I bought the Focus, that was almost 300euros more, so no comparison. I haven't use this one though, so I can't really tell about the differences.

Spec wise, the 501 is 1080 vs 720 for the focus, pixel density 441 vs 294 (PPI) but the Focus is 800nits vs 400, and it is almost half the weight (both pretty big deal, and 720 on 5" is pretty good, alright).

I have used the 502 and loved it. Great monitor, very clear image on the right conditions.

With strong sunlight, even with the hood, it's difficult to see. On those occasions, you can turn it into an EVF but I didn't like the loupe.

I'm curious to use the focus, but in general, i really like the 502 (same as 501 but with sdi).