Filmmaker Bundle (Camera, ND Filter, Monitor) for 300€ used

Vautksch

Hey peepz,

A friend of mine wants to shoot stills and video for fun. Just wants to play a little.

He asked for advise and I would like to recommend

A camera (that shoots 1080p25 in a ok codec)

A Vari ND filter (no high quality needed)

A Monitor that has false color, 5"

for 300€.

I have adapters and a couple of russian/old german lenses that I would loan to him. I thought a GH2 with some feelworld monitor and cheapo vari ND would fit in this budget. Any ideas for monitor? Better camera option?

Thanks 

Tim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Secondhand Panasonic GH2

SLR Magic VND

FeelWorld F570

That blows your budget however.... but I don't see the point in going any cheaper. If you want to go cheaper, then  you need to ditch something, be it the VND or the monitor.

Sony NEX5N or NEX5R or NEX5T all make very nice pictures and are priced at around 150eur for a body. Screen flips and can accept a loupe too. Tech heads will moan about the avchd codec but it's the same codec they gave c100 and fs100 users for in body recording. Add a focal reducer adaptor and he will have an extra stop of light and will gain full frame field of view from your lenses meaning a basic 35mm/2.8 russian lens will become a 25mm/2 lens.   

Focal reducer: https://www.ebay.es/itm/Focal-Reducer-Speed-Booster-Canon-EOS-mount-Lens-to-Sony-E-Adapter-NEX-7-5-A6500/351338788897?hash=item51cd6c7821:g:SFoAAOSwBahU~~~G     That's quite a bit under budget and will allow a nice variable nd, some spare ex-pro batteries and will work with even the cheapest sd cards.

edit~~ Additionally all of the above cameras shoot up to 50p in full hd. Slow mo is a nice addition

20 hours ago, Vautksch said:

A camera (that shoots 1080p25 in a ok codec)

A Vari ND filter (no high quality needed)

A Monitor that has false color, 5"

for 300€.

• A used GH2, NEX-5N or 550D/T2i, depending on needs/preferences: 

GH2 has the cleanest/sharpest image, 550D the mushiest but the best colors, NEX-5N is in between the two. GH2 is the only camera with an EVF (unless you get the screw-on EVF for the NEX-5N). GH2 and NEX-5N can adapt more lenses because of their mirrorless mounts. But: NEX-5N and 550D are better for adapting vintage SLR lenses because of their bigger APS-C sensors; building a lens kit is cheaper with these two cameras, since you can use a 35mm lens as a standard lens and a 50mm lens as a portrait lens. (Unless you use a focal reducer for the GH2 which will cost you another $100.)

• Cheapo vari ND filter: Fotga Vari ND. @Mattias Burling tested it some time ago, and it seems to give decent bang-for-the-buck: 
  • External monitor: 5" monitors actually tend to be expensive, go for a cheaper 7" monitor. The brand (Feelworld, Lilliput, ...) doesn't matter so much.