Samsung "The Frame"

sam

1 hour ago, Damphousse said:

I think that is a bit ecologically irresponsible.  The proliferation of always on or stand by electronic devices in the home is getting ridiculous.  Each one might not be a huge draw but across millions of homes?

We've had perfectly good nonelectronic ways of looking at art for thousands of years.  Reminds me of this...

article-2206940-15227FFD000005DC-442_468

Just some statistics from wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standby_power

Well since a lot of electrical items surge when you turn them on I doubt there is a huge gain to be had turning them off. But anything that produces a lot of heat when it is on probably Should be turned off if you are not using it. My Monitor is so hot I can sit in my room with shorts on in the winter. It is a gas hog electric wise. Plasma TV's were the worse!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Damphousse said:

I think that is a bit ecologically irresponsible. 

great post!  said on a forum where grown folks gather to argue about the merits of small disposable electronics combined with the excesses of Hollywood. Preach it brother!

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well since a lot of electrical items surge when you turn them on I doubt there is a huge gain to be had turning them off.

100% incorrect and stem from the same belief that shorting a battery momentarily drains it in any significant way. (which it does not btw).
In short the surge will have to be huge to have any long term impact in overall draw. Even turning off a modern cars engine for a few seconds is worth it today.

46 minutes ago, no_connection said:

100% incorrect and stem from the same belief that shorting a battery momentarily drains it in any significant way. (which it does not btw).

There Is a finite amount of energy in Every battery. Every time energy is used from it it has less than it did to start with. So shorting a battery Does loose energy. A battery Never recovers from energy loss unless you recharge it. Now how long you define "momentarily" I don't know. They loose energy by just sitting on the shelf brand new.

Now in a significant way, I will agree with that statement.

Just contrast it to the term "surge". Even a 5sec short is almost insignificant amount of energy compared to what is stored in the battery, I was just referring to the common perception that shorting a battery must draw a "huge amount of power" compared to normal use since it draws max amount of current.

A surge, even if it where a lot higher current during startup does not really draw a huge amount of power overall. But as with shorting a battery wear and tear does come into the calculation.
My point was that surge is insignificant  overall unless you use it for 5sec every time, and by that point it's normal startup time gonna be more significant anyway. And probably hospital bill due to epilepsy.

• 5 months later...

I planned to buy that Samsung Frame TV but it's too expensive for its quality. I saw it one time on a retail store and It's way different from is website. The border isn't real it's part of the screen that's why it looks pixelated when you look closely. I ended up buying Evervue's Spectrum TV, way cheaper and the nice quality. 

• 1 year later...

Just bought the Samsung Frame and have an issue. When watching sports, the ball disappears as it moves horizontally across the screen. Has anyone else had this issue? And is there a way to improve it? I did not notice this issue on my old plasma, so I don't think it is related to data streaming