Can we hope for new GH5 firmware updates ?

Alex Uzan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

They had to put something out there, because GH4 users were getting impatient and wanted to upgrade (some would even go as far as using the G7 over it on projects) and the competition was tempting potential system newbies with their offerings. They knew what the camera theoretically was capable of and had probably tested some of that functionality, that still needed some tweaking.

At the time the GH4 was the Lumix flagship in every regard. They sure knew people cared for the video side of things from the GH2 and perhaps GH3. At that point what they hadn't explored was what the hardware actually was capable of, they only started messing about with that when the 4K GH camera started to really get some traction in the independent and professional industry and users started to ask if certain things could be done. Would've been too early for a completely new camera, so they brought V-Log L and the anamorphic mode for instance as experimental features covered by the (paid) firmware updates.

With the new flagship generation they knew they couldn't ask photographers that wanted the best of the best, to pay a premium for features they 99% of the time would have no use for. So they decided to split up the line up. Development of 3 flagship cameras this time around probably took a bit more capacity then expected. But again, they needed to dangle the carrot in front of people, so they teased and announced the camera, released the camera quite a bit later and the full firmware took quite a while as well. This time around however the development and hardware capacity check happened prior to the camera hitting market, rather then when it was on market already.

Right now they seem to have upped their segmentation game, keeping you wanting for more, never having it all. I'm doubtful they'll add as much new things the way they did with the GH4.

43 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I'm doubtful they'll add as much new things the way they did with the GH4.

Actually, instead of new things, I was thinking about fixing one major flaw of the GH5.

Ok the AF is not good, we have to accept that. So MFs should be the most reliable way to keep focus on our shots.

But, without the ability to punch in while recording to check focus, I find MF not that reliable as well. Except if you use external monitor.

3 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

But, without the ability to punch in while recording to check focus, I find MF not that reliable as well. Except if you use external monitor.

And be able to move around the punch in as well!