are those gimbals a good buy?

Dan Wake

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Another choice would be the newly released zhiyun-tech crane plus which can take up to 2.5Kg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1383663-REG/zhiyun_tech_crane_plus_handheld_gimbal.html

You can also go with the cheaper Crane v2 but you are close to the weight limit which I don't know how it will affect the performance. 

2 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Another choice would be the newly released zhiyun-tech crane plus which can take up to 2.5Kg

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1383663-REG/zhiyun_tech_crane_plus_handheld_gimbal.html

You can also go with the cheaper Crane v2 but you are close to the weight limit which I don't know how it will affect the performance. 

thx a lot! is thiw new model of 2018 or 2017? thx

I suggest waiting to see if the tilta g2x and ikan pivot are any good. Both around $700.  What camera / lenses?

The problem with the traditional design is you can't balance longer lenses even if it supports the weight, the angled is a step in the right direction but a compromise, still better than nothing though.  Someone that's not letus needs to put roll axis first so we can do long lenses!

If you don't have long lenses to balance then crane plus is a good deal, I think on eBay for $450 right now.

@Dan Wake

Please understand that if you've never used a motorized gimbal before, do not use it without some practice first. These things are great, but they're no magic bullet. Keep your knees bent and walk heel to toe. You'll look like a complete derp, but your footage will thank you in post. :grin:

thanks guys I'm really grateful for yours help! really a lot! Is it true that models have a built in follow focus? which models do have this -awesome- feature? and how does it work? I mean this seems to be a killer application isn't it a game changers for gimbals? thx!

3 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

thanks guys I'm really grateful for yours help! really a lot! Is it true that models have a built in follow focus? which models do have this -awesome- feature? and how does it work? I mean this seems to be a killer application isn't it a game changers for gimbals? thx!

Some do have FF, but only work with select cameras. (And very few of them at that)

59 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Some do have FF, but only work with select cameras. (And very few of them at that)

do you know and can tell me which models of camera please? I wish to change camera + buy a gimbal this would be an awesome combo.

Also, the form factor of the FF dial on the latest crane isn't exactly, ergonomic. In fact, I would say it's short of acceptable.

Before you get a nasty case of buyer's remorse, do your research and make sure whatever tool you get honestly fits your needs. If you're not going to use this tool for at least 50% you don't "need" it. 

7 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I suggest waiting to see if the tilta g2x and ikan pivot are any good. Both around $700.  What camera / lenses?

The problem with the traditional design is you can't balance longer lenses even if it supports the weight, the angled is a step in the right direction but a compromise, still better than nothing though.  Someone that's not letus needs to put roll axis first so we can do long lenses!

If you don't have long lenses to balance then crane plus is a good deal, I think on eBay for $450 right now.

the tilta g2x and ikan pivot has been designed to solve this problem? I need to use 135mm long lenses. thx!1

Depending on the lens. Canon 135mm f2 is 750g + any adapter... It might work on normal gimbals since it's not super front heavy.

G2x and pivot look like they can have more range of motion with longer lenses although still not as good as helix design. Considering price of them I'm willing to give it a shot when they come out. Unless they use basecam which is apparently a nightmare to work with.

15 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

@Dan Wake

Please understand that if you've never used a motorized gimbal before, do not use it without some practice first. These things are great, but they're no magic bullet. Keep your knees bent and walk heel to toe. You'll look like a complete derp, but your footage will thank you in post. :grin:

LOL!

Yes, if you DON'T look like a complete derp, then you are doing it wrong.

On the other hand, just because one normally looks like a derp doesn't mean one will be naturally good at using a gimbal :anguished:

7 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

I assume 135mm is the actual length of the lens .

135mm lens is always a 135mm lens, no matter what it is on!

But if you're saying it is a 67.5mm lens on a MFT... :-P Then sure, that could be interesting!