GH5S & Ninja Inferno DCI 4k 60fps 10bit stuttering/chopping

goranstein

Has anyone noticed stuttering/chopping issue when GH5S output DCI 4k 60fps 10bit signal to Ninja Inferno (I am using Atomos HDMI 2.0 cable)? Stuttering is visible on both displays even without recording. It looks like camera can not handle with those settings. I have tried another settings and every other settings works ok. 

DCI 4k 60fps 8bit HDMI output works OK.

DCI 4k 30fps 10bit HDMI output works OK.

UHD 4k 60fps 10bit HDMI output works OK.

I have contacted Panasonic and Atomos but still did not get any answer.

Video sample DCI 4k 60fps 10bit HDMI output

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O0mQDdoDQy48yVMz8z7Msd09gxkDlDph/view?usp=drivesdk

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I had GH5 and its capable to output UHD 60fps 10bit HDMI. Approved! :) GH5S specs say that it is capable for DCI 4k 60fps 10bit HDMI but reality says different. I just wanna know is this general issue or not. And want to know from Panasonic is that a hw limit or it will be fixed with future firmware upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, deezid said:

Maybe a bandwidth issue?
Try DCI 4K 50P in 10 bit.
At least UHD 60p 10 Bit should work.

Yes, I think so... too much informations... GH5s and its unique DCI 60p 10 bit trait was not yet born when Inferno was constructed. Maybe even original hdmi cable transfer is not enough capable.

Having this same issue (glad it wasn't just me).  At first I thought it was the HDMI cable I was using, but I switched back to the expensive Atomos cable (HDMI 2.0a/18Gbps) and same thing, stuttering/dropped frame output and recording .... ONLY when using 10bit 4:2:2 C4k 60p HDMI Output.

I tested and concur with this:

"DCI 4k 60fps 8bit HDMI output works OK.

DCI 4k 30fps 10bit HDMI output works OK.

UHD 4k 60fps 10bit HDMI output works OK"

The GH5s is supposed to be capable of 10bit 422 C4k 60p output via HDMI (I verified with the official manual).

I think it's an issue with the GH5s not the Atomos.  It seems as though the GH5s is struggling to output the high volume of data.  I hope there is a firmware fix.

If anybody realizes a solution, please update this discussion.  I will do the same if I find anything out. 

I got this from the Atomos support team:

looks like it's a issue on Panasonic side. We are working on that.

And then:

Our engineering team is aware of this issue. They are working on this. Not sure where is exactly the issue.

So we will have to wait...

On 4/4/2018 at 9:37 AM, pkiener said:

I got this from the Atomos support team:

looks like it's a issue on Panasonic side. We are working on that.

And then:

Our engineering team is aware of this issue. They are working on this. Not sure where is exactly the issue.

So we will have to wait...

I have received same answer from Atomos support but still waiting for final answer. Panasonic did not answered anything. That is strange. And after all testing I am pretty sure that issue is on Panasonic side.

• 2 weeks later...

Just FYI, I tried using a Belkin HDMI 2.1 cable (about the only legitamate 2.1 cable I can find).  Still the same issue.  I think Panasonic needs to fix this and release a firmware update, but they may not care unless more people complain ... and really what large volume of society is frustrated that they can't shoot in Cinema 4k 10bit 4:2:2 at 60fps?  What .. all 4 of us in the world (I hope more than that :))  I just don't like it when a feature that I paid lots of money for (between two companies) doesn't work.

Anyways, I did receive this from Atomos support:

"We have received reports of this happening and have notified the development team about this issue.  They are working with Panasonic to get this resolved.  Hopefully we will have an update soon."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members

I have to say I was rooting for you for it being on the Atomos side as I'd imagine you'd get a better response time for a fix.

I think Atomos is the currently the only game in town for recording DCI 4K60p as well so its not like you can switch to another recorder.

Finger crossed they get back to you.

• 5 weeks later...

Nothing yet, but there is a new firmware that will be released tomorrow for both the GH5 and GH5s; however I have read the list of updates and there is no mention of a fix for this issue.

Atomos recently came out with an update (AtomOS v8.5).  I updated my Inferno and tested, still the same issue.  Again, I still think it's probably on the Panasonic side of things.

Crossing my fingers that the new firmware update tomorrow solves the issue.

FIXED!! ?  I just updated the firmware (v1.1) on my GH5s and tested it.  Smooth output via HDMI to the Atomos Inferno for DCI 4k at 60fps 10bit 4:2:2.  Nice Panasonic.  They didn't even take credit for the fix in their firmware documentation.  I guess they didn't want to admit to that one, but really Panasonic does work hard at trying to fix issues.  Happy customer.