No significant improvement in Canon APS-C sensors since 2004

Andrew Reid

It's just paper stats though, to me.

I've never taken a still shot on my 5DII and thought, "i wish that had more DR". Even shooting in the harshest conditions. If that drop in DR results in Canon's colour and skin tones.... Then i'm fine with it.

Try shooting with a sensor with better DR or some of the analog films with higher DR and you'll notice the difference in highlights and shadows. Then you'll understand that it isn't paper stats...

userage: Yep, Pentax uses the Sony sensors as well.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've owned, rented and shot on all sorts of cameras, Nikon D3, Red One, Film etc etc

Note that i said i've never wished i'd had more, on the Canons..... not that you cannot tell the difference between 12 stops and 15 stops. 12 stops is enough for 99.5% of shots.

I'd rather have the Canon colour and skin tones than extra DR that only shows in the harshest of conditions

and on the day that it looks like Canon's 5DIII might get raw video.... it leads me to the wonder if some indie film makers might always be left chasing numbers.

"I can't shoot my movie on the 5DIII raw because it only has 12 stops".

* That's not aimed at you, dahlfors.... Just a general thought.

Surely it makes it more relevant than ever to those that were saying how disgraceful Canon were for not working on their sensors for over a decade?

raw or not, surely those sensors are terrible, right? 10 years without improvement.... must be almost unusable.

Yeah I heard that the 70D will have the same sensor as the SL1 (which is a shame), but nothing is official yet. I'm still holding onto my 60D until I see that the 70D will be worth it (mainly looking for ISO performance).

• Administrators

The good thing is all the Canon DSLRs share similar code and DryOS, with only the dual-chip 7D being a bit of an odd one.

They will port raw to other cameras and explore how far they can be pushed, but currently the 5D Mark III has the most capable hardware.

1D X even better of course, but a big mouth Canon 'rep' warned them off touching it.