No significant improvement in Canon APS-C sensors since 2004

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's shocking if you see it in a graphic way like this...

It seems like some camera's are missing though, I plotted a graphic myself with this chart:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings

All the aps-c camera's from Sony, Nikon and Canon.

Same idea, but a bit more detailed.

[attachment=504:vergelijking.jpg]

• Administrators

What I also find strange is the slight deterioration in the latest 18MP sensors.

They are taking out photosites and putting phase detect AF sensels in there, but the AF in live view still takes around 5 seconds to lock on. Why?

• Administrators

Full frame chart.

ff-dxomark.jpg

Most recent full frame sensors from Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras...

Bear in mind also that 1D X is more than double the price of the other two.

rx1-dxo.jpg

Conclusion - Canon have lost the image quality race and need to make a big leap.

The 1DX has one advantage over the Sony sensors, it holds better dynamic range at high iso's. This can be an advantage for sports shooters who work at iso 1600 or higher a lot. The Nikon D4 has the same characteristics though..

The Canon sensors just loose big time on dynamic range at low iso's.

28w87k.jpg

Exceedingly poor show. If the 7D II is indeed the first APSC model to have a new sensor, let's hope it's really good.

The newest rumors are telling the 7D II isn't coming this year... ;)
http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/05/no-7d-mark-ii-in-2013-cr2/

The 70D is coming supposedly, but it was rumoured to have the same shitty sensor again.

Maybe the 7D II is too good and beats the crap out of the fullframe camera's, so they are delaying it for a while so customers won't be too pissed off and they can still sell some old technique. *wishful thinking*

• Administrators

70D has same sensor as the SL1. Video mode is same old same old on that... Moire, aliasing, generally very 2009.

Hard to get excited about the 7D Mark II now I have a full frame camera in my jacket pocket and a Super 35mm digital cinema camera that shoots 4K raw with a global shutter for $4000.

I've shot stills with both the 5DII and D800, and for my purposes the difference in image quality isn't as obvious as the DxO rankings.  While not class-leading, the still images from Canon cameras are still competent.  Even the original 5D still has a nice "look" to it's images.  Video, on the other hand, is a sick joke.

It's too bad there aren't any benchmarks for video performance.  A camera like the VG900 would probably score high on DxO's sensor ranking, but it doesn't really tell us about the video quality.

and with their h264 codec shockingly soft and blocky for video compared to a hacked Panasonic GH2 with AVCHD

How does that relate to the sensor?

If you all just want a Canon hate thread... why use not just start a thread saying "we hate Canon" rather than trying to make out they are behind in sensor tech?

If anything, you should all be crying that Nikon and Sony's sensors can hit 15 stops, yet offer arguably less DR, in video mode, than the Canons.