Camera "mojo" - where does it come from?

kye

I hear lots of love on this forum for cameras like the 1DC, the C100, etc.  
The context is that they're more than just the stats, that it's something potentially involving the movement, or the sharpness (or lack thereof), or maybe the colours..  I'm sure there's other things too.

Three questions:

1) Which cameras have it?

2) For each camera that has it, what is it about that camera that gives it that mojo?  Movement? Colours? Highlight rolloff? .....what?

3) How much of this can be done in post?  Surely if you record 13-stops DR high-bitrate in 10-bit there's enough data to get the colours, maybe the highlight rolloff?  Maybe sharpness can be tailored?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
22 minutes ago, kye said:

1) Which cameras have it?

2) For each camera that has it, what is it about that camera that gives it that mojo?  Movement? Colours? Highlight rolloff? .....what?

3) How much of this can be done in post?  Surely if you record 13-stops DR high-bitrate in 10-bit there's enough data to get the colours, maybe the highlight rolloff?  Maybe sharpness can be tailored?

1) Several. And its not so much the camera imo as the camera and lens combination.

2) Sensor and lens combination. So it includes sharpness/lack of sharpness, colours, rolloff, DR, sensor texture, curve, rendition, etc and so forth.

3) Very little and it requires to much work imo. Better to get it right in camera.

(All of the above is imo and according to my experience.)

12 minutes ago, jonpais said:

It’s a myth. But according to your post, only Canon has the secret. Very revealing, ES.

They're just the ones I've heard mentioned - I think I've heard Digital Bolex mentioned in this sense as well.

What does ES mean?

5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

1) Several. And its not so much the camera imo as the camera and lens combination.

2) Sensor and lens combination. So it includes sharpness/lack of sharpness, colours, rolloff, DR, sensor texture, curve, rendition, etc and so forth.

In theory if you capture enough DR and bit depth, you should be able to re-create some of these in post - colours, rolloff, curve, and maybe rendition (I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "rendition").

5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

3) Very little and it requires to much work imo. Better to get it right in camera.

I agree it would be better to get it right in-camera, assuming you can afford it that is!

For those of us with modest means, I'm curious to have a little more understanding.  Not only can understanding get us part of the way there with what we have, but it can also do that for our archive of footage that regardless of wealth cannot be shot on a different camera!!

I know that many on these forums don't dip into their back-catalogue much, but for family videos its a real thing :)

• Super Members
49 minutes ago, kye said:

I agree it would be better to get it right in-camera, assuming you can afford it that is!

The cameras with the most mojo Ive had have all been low cost and much cheaper relative to the new releases. So it absolutley isnt a correlation between mojo and price imo.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Just a guess but is it possible that you may have been a member of The Bangles in a former life?

I don't understand ES also. Is it so hard to answer politely if someone ask you something?

I don't know also who The Bangles are, but I believe it is part of base education which some of us here lack, when @jonpais find it so funny to put a lovely smile...

But it didn't help @Kye who ask - except he now know that you didn't want to answer him.

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, anonim said:

What for stands abbreviation ES in English - Enough said? (imported but often used so) En suite? Erase Screen?

I think the ES that @jonpais is using is "Errata Sendorum", which is an old Latin phrase used in English contract law in reference to failing to deliver an SLR Magic Rangefinder

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, anonim said:

I don't understand ES also. Is it so hard to answer politely if someone ask you something?

I don't know also who The Bangles are, but I believe it is part of base education which some of us here lack, when @jonpais find it so funny to put a lovely smile...

But it didn't help @Kye who ask - except he now know that you didn't want to answer him.

He didn't ask ME directly to be fair, I was just offering it as a possible meaning to what Jon meant. Which it was up to Jon to confirm really.

8 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think the ES that @jonpais is using is "Errata Sendorum", which is an old Latin phrase used in English contract law in reference to failing to deliver an SLR Magic Rangefinder

Than you can tell @Kye immediately how briliantly an logical you understood sentence with ES - and simply succeed to be a human at your best level.

it actually refers to ‘amour Canon’ more than the other shenanigans. If the OP wants an open and frank discussion about mojo, why load the topic with references to his fav label? I could just as easily have written ‘I hear lots of love in this forum for cameras like the GH5, the NX1, the BMPCC, the Digital Bolex...’  

15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

it actually refers to ‘amour Canon’ more than the other shenanigans. If the OP wants an open and frank discussion about mojo, why load the topic with references to his fav label? I could just as easily have written ‘I hear lots of love in this forum for cameras like the GH5, the NX1, the BMPCC, the Digital Bolex...’  

First, after your explanation, I'll try again - what does it mean abbreviation ES in English if you don't agree that @BTM_Pix's brilliant answer guessed right?

Second, I also read ("heard") that Canon has that mojo, in very high frequency ratio respective to other cameras, at least at EOSHD. Maybe it is wrong conclusion, but it looks to me so.

Third, this thread drove my attention because I wish more to learn about what exactly people see when claim that something has mojo - because mojo in canon cameras in principal refers to "cinematic" character. I like also greatly Canon look and want to more understand why.

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, anonim said:

Than you can tell @Kye immediately how briliantly an logical you understood sentence with ES - and simply succeed to be a human at your best level

The only thing I'll be doing "immediately" and with "brilliant logic" is completely disregarding this and any other orders you might feel like giving me altogether.

3 minutes ago, anonim said:

Second, I also read ("heard") that Canon has that mojo, in very high frequency ratio respective to other cameras, at least at EOSHD. 

No.  good straight out of camera color yes.  but not mojo