Kinefinity TERRA 4K Selling at ProAV

JordanWright

3 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

There is no "must be established" requirement from Netflix: 

Camera Requirements

4K Resolution:
Camera must have a true 4K sensor (equal to or greater than 4096 photosites wide).

Recording Format:
• Minimum of 16-bit Linear or 10-bit Log processing

• Bitrate of at least 240 Mbps (at 23.98/24 fps) recording

• Recording format must be set to either:

RAW (uncompressed or lightly compressed sensor data)

Log color space (i.e. S-Log3, V-Log, CanonLog3, REDLogFilm, BMDLog, LogC)

• No looks or color corrections should be baked into the original camera files.

• Files must maintain all metadata (i.e. Tape Name, Timecode, Frame Rate, ISO, WB, etc.)

Aspect Ratio / Framing:
• Aspect ratios greater than 2.00:1 must be evaluated and discussed with Netflix for approval.

• Framing chart must be shot before principal photography begins, and processed through the dailies pipeline which will be shared with editorial, post-production, and VFX.

Of course there is no such requirement, but as I said "that is the reason why Netflix or anyone else could refuse to use it in a production." By that I mean this camera is not something a higher end production would use regardless of the specs.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Don Kotlos said:

There is no "must be established" requirement from Netflix: 

Camera Requirements

4K Resolution:
Camera must have a true 4K sensor (equal to or greater than 4096 photosites wide).

Recording Format:
• Minimum of 16-bit Linear or 10-bit Log processing

• Bitrate of at least 240 Mbps (at 23.98/24 fps) recording

• Recording format must be set to either:

RAW (uncompressed or lightly compressed sensor data)

Log color space (i.e. S-Log3, V-Log, CanonLog3, REDLogFilm, BMDLog, LogC)

• No looks or color corrections should be baked into the original camera files.

• Files must maintain all metadata (i.e. Tape Name, Timecode, Frame Rate, ISO, WB, etc.)

Aspect Ratio / Framing:
• Aspect ratios greater than 2.00:1 must be evaluated and discussed with Netflix for approval.

• Framing chart must be shot before principal photography begins, and processed through the dailies pipeline which will be shared with editorial, post-production, and VFX.

You're missing the actual approved camera portion from the requirements you posted. This clearly shows their spec list is outdated. The GH5 could meet the spec requirements as well as a bunch of other systems, like Kinefinity not currently present on their list. 

The whole intent is not to force certain cameras on their production crews. You might have a cinematographer who's very comfortable and has expertise with a Kinefinity, why would you jeopardize the project by forcing a camera on them that they can't work with? It's to establish a baseline standard of fidelity of what their own colorists prefer to work with. Trust me, this is reality, they receive shitty footage as well. But they have to set a bar somewhere so that the majority of the time they're getting what they feel they prefer to work with.

Marketing agencies do exactly the same thing. I was a graphic designer back in the day, I received plenty of low fidelity content from clients, despite having a spec sheet of preferable fidelity, but we did what we had to do to make it work. 

Seriously, what do we know about the reliability and the build quality of Kinefity cameras? I have read that they sell well in Asia.

Of, course, I wouldn't call it exactly cheap and the crop factor is a bit weird.

Does anyone know if they are sold on continental Europe? Now with Brexit it's going to be tricky to buy from the UK.

2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Seriously, what do we know about the reliability and the build quality of Kinefity cameras? I have read that they sell well in Asia.

Of, course, I wouldn't call it exactly cheap and the crop factor is a bit weird.

Does anyone know if they are sold on continental Europe? Now with Brexit it's going to be tricky to buy from the UK.

HDVideoshop sells them in Germany.

https://hdvideoshop.com/en/

Not that many reviews out there, but Philip Bloom seems to have a Terra 4k and will probably make a review on it, atleast according to his social media.

• 1 month later...

ProAV has uploaded this:

On 3/3/2018 at 12:26 PM, Kisaha said:

They're all S35? Except the Kinefinity Terra 4K, which is just the same as the RED Raven (except unlike the Raven, the Terra 4K has the option of MFT / E mount! Raven is permanently stuck with EF mount :-/ ).

Oh and expect the new Mavo LF which is even larger than S35, but that won't ship until later this year.