1dc or 1dx Mark ii

Boygetslost

5 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

hollywood films WILL MOST CERTAINLY be shot on GH5S. In fact, part of the reason it exists is literally by request from Top Gear DP needing a GH5 without IBIS. 1DC has been out longer obviously so its had time to be in the field. 

nice looking show, 4k hdr and all.  the gh series are used as crash cams.  have you seen the show?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Again, I come back to my needs. They have totally changed since when I bought my 1DC. At the time I needed a workhorse 4k camera that could handle the elements well. I literally bought the camera using the budget for rental gear for a two month shoot I did in Mexico. The client wanted 4k and stills. I was in the middle of the forest and running around handheld. The GH5 wasn't out yet and my only option at the time was a used 1DC or a7Sii cause I wanted a camera that performed well in low light and was weather proof.

IMG_0977.thumb.JPG.63af8a78541f96121c3c9d9908417bd9.JPG

Here are some frame grabs from my 1DC 4k when I was in Mexico, all shot Clog and graded in color finale:

IMG_6237.thumb.JPG.d514a0d206532fd96d30b066a9a1e837.JPG

IMG_6238.thumb.JPG.6859747ec64cf647c7e84c2244cebe50.JPG

IMG_6241.thumb.JPG.7c37a2b51627bad3d39b5d5fa96a1fef.JPG

If I want good stills and want to keep my GH5S rigged for video in a cage with my monitor ETC, I will more than likely but a Fuji X100 like all the other cinematographers out there who use the X100 for BTS stills and family pictures.

At first I was saving my pennies for a RED. Then I had high hopes for fuji...but was disappointed with it. Now Im on the Panny bandwagon. Wasn't impressed with GH5 at all image quality wise really....huge fan of GH5S. GH5 makes people look like they had a bad spay tan. 

@DaveAltizer with all due respect, I never really bought the excuse that GH5s features were included, or not included, based on one Amazon Original show’s requests.

Obviously, you’ve worked with both cameras, so I’ll yield to your insider knowledge, but I have yet to see anything from either GH5 variant that matches the 1DC... or anything that would have the IQ for a Hollywood production.

But in the end, they’re all just tools and more often than not, it’s more about the craftsman holding the tools.

34 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Wasn't impressed with GH5 at all image quality wise really....huge fan of GH5S. GH5 makes people look like they had a bad spay tan. 

Are both cameras not using the same basic, for lack of a better expression, 'colour science'?

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Thanks! Those stills look great for several reasons outside of the camera. We were shooting on Leica R glass, with Tiffen Black Pro Mist filters, we hazed the house and I hired a real DP to shoot it! Lighting, lensing, and filters work wonders. 

But Dave....I thought the Cameras were the most important factor behind the image??!!!

Totally joking and being sarcastic :)

On a more serious note...Dave I think that example can be filed in the conversation for the fact that cameras are again still just tools. We still need to use the right glass, know how to light, use good shot composition etc etc to achieve the look we see on in our heads.

Good post man!

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Thanks! Those stills look great for several reasons outside of the camera. We were shooting on Leica R glass, with Tiffen Black Pro Mist filters, we hazed the house and I hired a real DP to shoot it! Lighting, lensing, and filters work wonders. 

Indeed, I think sofening up the image and using some light can go a long way to make footage look more cinematic. Here is a quick grab from the GH5S using BPM 1/2 with a flashlight . 

Playing light and filters.jpg

Thanks for all the advice and comments everyone.

I should have been clearer, when I said travel video, I meant making projects while I travel, most are narrative based and as someone that has come from a BMCC, the image is so important to me. 

Nearly every thing I do is narrative. For example here is some of my stuff www.chriscory.co.uk

Of course the BMCC is much more portable then people think and with the BMCC speed booster, is usable in lower light, but you still need to attach a monitor to it a lot of the time and it does not have any more frame rates.

Its really interesting what you guys are saying about the GH5s, is the image really that much better?

I have really really tried to like the GH5, but I just could not get excited for the image, it was really good, but it just didn't do it for me. The camera itself ticks so many boxes other wise.

Does the Gh5s hold up to the 1dc image wise?

Chris

2 hours ago, User said:

Are both cameras not using the same basic, for lack of a better expression, 'colour science'?

http://www.newsshooter.com/2018/02/22/panasonic-gh5s-good-bad-clean/

"The GH5S color is different to the GH5. In “Standard” photo Style the colors are so close on the chart it’s hard to tell them apart but they are different and Panasonic is clearly improving or at least tweaking the color science with this new sensor. Skin tones are very different."

There is a whole thread about the GH5s by the way. From all these cameras mentioned, this is the most interesting to me, so far.

24 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2018/02/22/panasonic-gh5s-good-bad-clean/

"The GH5S color is different to the GH5. In “Standard” photo Style the colors are so close on the chart it’s hard to tell them apart but they are different and Panasonic is clearly improving or at least tweaking the color science with this new sensor. Skin tones are very different."

There is a whole thread about the GH5s by the way. From all these cameras mentioned, this is the most interesting to me, so far.

Very well. Anyone have real world info on the audio? Pre amps? I know it's all out there on Google, but a quick comment?

you can't be convinced that a phone is more than sufficient ?!  

or check out Andrews iphone X video here on his site.    or check out Dave Altizers own review of a dslr  vs phone for photos.  ironic how consumer cam users love to show how close they look next to high end cams, but aren't ready to admit a phone is just as good and sometimes better than their gh5.

3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Again, I come back to my needs. They have totally changed since when I bought my 1DC. At the time I needed a workhorse 4k camera that could handle the elements well. I literally bought the camera using the budget for rental gear for a two month shoot I did in Mexico. The client wanted 4k and stills. I was in the middle of the forest and running around handheld. The GH5 wasn't out yet and my only option at the time was a used 1DC or a7Sii cause I wanted a camera that performed well in low light and was weather proof.

IMG_0977.thumb.JPG.63af8a78541f96121c3c9d9908417bd9.JPG

Here are some frame grabs from my 1DC 4k when I was in Mexico, all shot Clog and graded in color finale:

IMG_6237.thumb.JPG.d514a0d206532fd96d30b066a9a1e837.JPG

IMG_6238.thumb.JPG.6859747ec64cf647c7e84c2244cebe50.JPG

IMG_6241.thumb.JPG.7c37a2b51627bad3d39b5d5fa96a1fef.JPG

If I want good stills and want to keep my GH5S rigged for video in a cage with my monitor ETC, I will more than likely but a Fuji X100 like all the other cinematographers out there who use the X100 for BTS stills and family pictures.

At first I was saving my pennies for a RED. Then I had high hopes for fuji...but was disappointed with it. Now Im on the Panny bandwagon. Wasn't impressed with GH5 at all image quality wise really....huge fan of GH5S. GH5 makes people look like they had a bad spay tan. 

Looks like cinema. I would guess this was Arri, Alexa, or C300ii. That camera is still on my list of cameras to try. Looks so nice.

10 hours ago, sam said:

Well that's just not true.  Multiple phones have various optical lengths.  Or add a lens. Tons available.   

I'm interested to know what lenses you've seen that I haven't..  To my eyes anything except the Zeiss primes look so bad in the corners that I'd file them in the "vintage" category, and it's not like they have anything much in the telephoto range.

I regularly shoot at 280mm or 400mm in my videos.  If you're doing narrative work or filming in 'controlled' conditions then sure, you can get away with 16/28/35/50 focal lengths, but if you're shooting run-and-gun in the wild like I do then reaching for my phone to then have to stop and put a 50mm equivalent zoom lens on it is completely ridiculous when the built-in lens on my XC10 does 28-280mm and I don't have to change anything.

I understand your comments, and you do have a point, but not everyone has the same requirements that you do.

2 hours ago, sam said:

Well above was all you gave me.  And thats simply not true. Cant you find a decently sharp telephoto lens to use with one these?   www.iphoneness.com/cool-finds/attach-dslr-lens-to-iphone/   

True.  I ruled them out due to no autofocus, but you're right that the image quality is better than the other options.

Regardless, I think that we've gone a little off topic, and although phones are very capable devices and can be kitted out with rigs that make them almost as useful (and almost as large) as a DSLR, I don't think that anyone would make the case that a phone is a suitable alternative to a 1DC or a 1DXII..  at least not until the RED phone is released :astonished:

8 hours ago, Boygetslost said:

Thanks for all the advice and comments everyone.

I should have been clearer, when I said travel video, I meant making projects while I travel, most are narrative based and as someone that has come from a BMCC, the image is so important to me. 

Nearly every thing I do is narrative. For example here is some of my stuff www.chriscory.co.uk

Of course the BMCC is much more portable then people think and with the BMCC speed booster, is usable in lower light, but you still need to attach a monitor to it a lot of the time and it does not have any more frame rates.

Its really interesting what you guys are saying about the GH5s, is the image really that much better?

I have really really tried to like the GH5, but I just could not get excited for the image, it was really good, but it just didn't do it for me. The camera itself ticks so many boxes other wise.

Does the Gh5s hold up to the 1dc image wise?

Chris

I’m doing A, B tests with 1DC and GH5S tomorrow and will post my results ASAP! 

@samI seriously do not understand that iPhone argument at all. Sure, there are bikes that cost 150$, my bike costs close to 1000$ and I use it once or twice per week, another friend that goes biking every day has a 4000$ one (he likes them very much, and electric guitars also), and the kit an amateur down hill-er has is up to 10.000$. 

I seriously go down some paths myself with my bike, and sometimes I use one I bought in the 90's, it does the job perfectly. That applies to music instruments as well, which is even worse (because you seriously can buy a very good instrument for 300$). I do not get the point of using a lesser device when you have the tech and variety of choices with very small prices as well. 

Well now, if you are a professional, you couldn't bet your life on a tool like an iPhone, that does NOT have sd cards, ergonomics - whatsoever, dedicated native lenses or mount (the ones you linked count as a Metabones?), a sensor that can shoot in 800/1600ISO, and still there is some information there to tweak a bit (I am not a major "tweaker" myself, but I always do some kind of post), battery life - and the ability to change 1,2,3,4,5 batteries per working day, no I/O ports at all, and all the reliability and little things that are important to advanced amateurs, semi - pro and pro people.

Also, I have run out of aluminium foil.

Can't wait for @DaveAltizer 's results!

37 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Also, I have run out of aluminium foil.

the bike analogy. I like it.  used to race bikes.  state champ when I was 16. 

have a pro pedal your $1k bike (iphone)

put a bystander on a $60k bike (alexa)

I think you already know the winner.  

you mentioned aluminum being in short supply.  maybe borrow some black wrap from the grip.