1dc or 1dx Mark ii

Boygetslost

Hi everyone 

About two weeks ago, I purchased a 1dx Mark ii for travel video. I am really liking the image so far, dynamic range can be bit of an issue though.

Are there any users on here that have used the 1dx Mark ii and the 1dc?

How does the image compare between the two cameras?

Would It have been better If I had got a 1dc for video work?

I am well aware of the features, and advantages of each camera slow motion, used price, auto focus, etc. My questions is purely about the image quality of the two cameras.

Cheers

Chris :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have never had a 1DC, but seriously thinking about getting one. A lot of people that had one, got one on here either regrets selling it, or is Never going to sell it. They are pretty much the best 4k output, and I would say 1080p output, Canon ever made. I think the 4k in one is better than the Cxxx series cameras. The only bummer is the media usage and no DPAF, but the AF in it is no slouch, 1Dx quality.

So no the 1Dx mk II will not be as good image quality, but it is pretty damn good, and the mk II with the DPAF is nice but not as cheap as a 1DC can be had if you look around. But you do have the Pixel problem to worry about with the 1DC. Personally I don't think if I had the money for a 1Dx mk II I would buy the 1DC. But some have both on here.

This is a screen shot from someone on here, can't remember who, from a 1DC. I think it is all you need to see.

1DC.jpg

8 hours ago, Boygetslost said:

Hi everyone 

About two weeks ago, I purchased a 1dx Mark ii for travel video. I am really liking the image so far, dynamic range can be bit of an issue though.

Are there any users on here that have used the 1dx Mark ii and the 1dc?

How does the image compare between the two cameras?

Would It have been better If I had got a 1dc for video work?

I am well aware of the features, and advantages of each camera slow motion, used price, auto focus, etc. My questions is purely about the image quality of the two cameras.

Everybody seems to agree that the 1DC has more "mojo." You don't get C-LOG on the 1dxii.

Have you tried installing the technicolor custom preset? 

If I was shooting travel video, I would really want 4k/60p and the auto focus I would image would be huge as well. 

Do you have any samples of where DR is an issue?

The 1DXMk2 is an amazing camera,  for both stills and video. Mojo is subjective, I would say the 1DXMk2 is a more modern looking 4k whereas the 1DC is more vintage. Both honestly look great. 

That said, 4k@60p plus DPAF are both killer features, and imo tip the scale I  favour of the Mk2. YMMV.

Also a 1Dx II owner and for my usage for video I would never trade 4k 60p, 120fps and DPAF for C-Log and a better HD (super35). The rolling shutter of the 1Dx II is also better than the 1Dc. Most people that I know that went from 1dc to 1dx II they prefer the 1dx II due to better features.... If only canon would have added C-Log to the 1Dx II....

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Also a 1Dx II owner and for my usage for video I would never trade 4k 60p, 120fps and DPAF for C-Log and a better HD (super35). The rolling shutter of the 1Dx II is also better than the 1Dc. Most people that I know that went from 1dc to 1dx II they prefer the 1dx II due to better features.... If only canon would have added C-Log to the 1Dx II....

Also a 1DXII owner, I agree with gt3rs. Wish it had C-Log, but the other features make it a better camera.

On 2/25/2018 at 5:12 PM, DBounce said:

I would say the 1DXMk2 is a more modern looking 4k whereas the 1DC is more vintage. 

shoot the 1dc with clog off and you have the same "modern"  look as the 1dxii.

unless you are using vintage glass, why not just shoot on a high end phone with a small stabilizer ?  They are just as good as the 1dc, gh5, or any cmos cam when viewed on YouTube on a tiny phone.

I am a 1DC owner and have shot with the 1DX II in the past. The 1DC has mojo the 1DX II doesn't have for sure. More filmic color science. However, 1DC isnt a logical and wise choice. There are serious red pixel issues with it and its seriously a pain in the butt to use. No AF, so I always have either my Zacuto gratical or my SmallHD Focus attached to it for focus peaking and waveform. I have been using a loaner GH5S for my reviews and am seriously considering retiring the 1DC for the GH5S. My needs have changed. I used to be a freelance director/ DP and now Im a YouTuber. Having an unusable 4k until converting to ProRes is a pain. No iPhone app or any type of AF for video is a pain. And the thing is a beast to hold and carry around. I so wish Canon would do canon log on the 1DX II and give us a better codec. Thats all thats holding it back. 

The GH5S should have been called something different. Its not a GH5, its just in a GH5 body. It should have been called EVA-1 mini.  It was completely designed by the same team that designed the varicam and EVA-1. Not the photo department. The color science and features the GH5S has makes it a much more practical camera for my use.. I will use a speed booster and the same canon mounted Contax glass I am currently using on my 1DC with the exact same crop factor and cinema 4k....IN 10BIT but with focus peaking, wave forms on screen and an app that can work with shooting myself and locking focus using the app. I am really impressed with it all around and I am not a fan of IBIS. I have a MoVI M5 that produces the most cinematic motion available and IBIS makes the MoVI footage act wonky. I also love the look of a camera on a shoulder rig. IBIS makes shoulder rig stuff look too fluid and not natural. This is why Panasonic made this camera. For actual working professionals who recognize that IBIS is truly not desired all that much...IBIS is a great TOOL to have on the tool belt for sure though...

attached are some frames from a music video I shot on 1dc.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 8.08.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 8.09.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 8.10.03 AM.png

47 minutes ago, kye said:

For one thing, they're fixed focal length.  Otherwise I'd use mine a lot more.

There are other reasons of course too, but this is the main one for me.

Well that's just not true.  Multiple phones have various optical lengths.  Or add a lens. Tons available.   

16 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

The 1DC has mojo the 1DX II doesn't have for sure. More filmic color science.  

and yet you want to retire the 1dc for the gh5s.  And that looks "filmic" ?

12 hours ago, sam said:

shoot the 1dc with clog off and you have the same "modern"  look as the 1dxii.

unless you are using vintage glass, why not just shoot on a high end phone with a small stabilizer ?  They are just as good as the 1dc, gh5, or any cmos cam when viewed on YouTube on a tiny phone.

Well,  I use my smartphones (Samsung Note8, IPhone X, Google Pixel XL) when they are all if have to use. Of course a smartphone could be used to film anything that a dedicated camera could. But if you are shooting a major production, why would you skimp only on the camera? Because you are still going to need everything else (light, sound, sets, makeup, a cast and crew... etc) that the dedicated cameras would need to pull if off.

Also, I think you will find that even the best smartphone cameras are far worst in low-light conditions than a 1DC/1DX or GH camera. And forget using focus as a means to direct the viewers attention, as smartphones cannot use "fake DOF" in video mode. 

Oh, and lets not forget... no real aperture, with the exception of the S9/9+. And even then, the aperture is fixed not variable.

If the limitations of shooting this way are good with you... have at it. I am certain that the day will come that smartphones will push pass the capabilities of the best cameras available today... but this is not that day.

53 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

I am a 1DC owner and have shot with the 1DX II in the past. The 1DC has mojo the 1DX II doesn't have for sure. More filmic color science. However, 1DC isnt a logical and wise choice. There are serious red pixel issues with it and its seriously a pain in the butt to use. No AF, so I always have either my Zacuto gratical or my SmallHD Focus attached to it for focus peaking and waveform. I have been using a loaner GH5S for my reviews and am seriously considering retiring the 1DC for the GH5S. My needs have changed. I used to be a freelance director/ DP and now Im a YouTuber. Having an unusable 4k until converting to ProRes is a pain. No iPhone app or any type of AF for video is a pain. And the thing is a beast to hold and carry around. I so wish Canon would do canon log on the 1DX II and give us a better codec. Thats all thats holding it back. 

The GH5S should have been called something different. Its not a GH5, its just in a GH5 body. It should have been called EVA-1 mini.  It was completely designed by the same team that designed the varicam and EVA-1. Not the photo department. The color science and features the GH5S has makes it a much more practical camera for my use.. I will use a speed booster and the same canon mounted Contax glass I am currently using on my 1DC with the exact same crop factor and cinema 4k....IN 10BIT but with focus peaking, wave forms on screen and an app that can work with shooting myself and locking focus using the app. I am really impressed with it all around and I am not a fan of IBIS. I have a MoVI M5 that produces the most cinematic motion available and IBIS makes the MoVI footage act wonky. I also love the look of a camera on a shoulder rig. IBIS makes shoulder rig stuff look too fluid and not natural. This is why Panasonic made this camera. For actual working professionals who recognize that IBIS is truly not desired all that much...IBIS is a great TOOL to have on the tool belt for sure though...

@DaveAltizer I'm on the same page as you. The GH5S is a much different camera to the GH5. I  prefer the GH5S images by a reasonable margin. But neither of these cameras is a match for the 1DXMk2 in the stills department. While you can get great pictures with Panasonics, using the Canon feels almost like cheating. It's an amazing stills camera.  And really small when compared to my GH5S :grin:

IMG_0252.jpg

18 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Well,  I use my smartphones (Samsung Note8, IPhone X, Google Pixel XL) when they are all if have to use. Of course a smartphone could be used to film anything that a dedicated camera could. But if you are shooting a major production, why would you skimp only on the camera? Because you are still going to need everything else (light, sound, sets, makeup, a cast and crew... etc) 

so a 1dc or gh5 is not considered skimping but a high end phone is? 

1 minute ago, sam said:

so a 1dc or gh5 is not considered skimping but a high end phone is? 

That would depend on why you are using them. If a budget issue then it may well be skimping, however, if a creative choice, then not skimping at all. However, you are suggesting to always just use a smartphone. For me, a smartphone is not close to an ideal platform for filmmaking. YMMV. 

18 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Nice set up, whats the matte box are you using? Whats the largest rear opening for it? 

Cause I'm in the market for a matte box and need 114mm rear opening.

The matte box is a Genus. It's on 15mm rod rails, but has an option to connect directly to lenses for a more mobile setup. It takes two filters with one of the two rotatable. The opening is 105mm. Build quality is good. I like it for the size and weight. 

2 minutes ago, Punio said:

I would have thought once you get the 1DX2 you'll never look back. The only thing holding it back us surely just the absence of C-log.

I just pick a picture profile and shoot with the baked in colors. I have tried the prolost flat, techicolor and more. But honestly, 8 bit and color grading is a bit limiting :grin: I much prefer the GH5/S  for CGing. Some might tell you it makes no difference,  but I really see a difference. For straight out of camera, I think the Canon is hard to beat.

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Man Dave... am glad you like the GH5s but I don’t know how you would give up this image for it? I mean... Hollywood films have been shot with the 1DC...

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

That would depend on why you are using them. If a budget issue then it may well be skimping, however, if a creative choice, then not skimping at all.

responses have been with the context of the original post in mind.  Travel video. Although i presumptously assumed the video will be viewed on a smallish screen in streaming quality. 

in the context of "a major production", haven't we all read of phones being used to shoot entire commercials, shots used in a pinch on multi million dollar films, or even filmed entirely with a phone? is this any different than the cameras you buy on Amazon being used for an occasional shot, or a crash cam etc...

Are you on the plus side of $20k? $40k? with your consumer video gear all rigged up?  think of the talented actors you could of hired instead.  

3 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Wow those 1DC Stills are great

Thanks! Those stills look great for several reasons outside of the camera. We were shooting on Leica R glass, with Tiffen Black Pro Mist filters, we hazed the house and I hired a real DP to shoot it! Lighting, lensing, and filters work wonders. 

@DBounce Totally agree! If I were blending stills more then 1DX/ 1DC would TOTALLY make more sense. I LOVE taking stills with my 1DC....I just rarely if ever do. Im not a photographer by any means. the only things I take pictures of is my baby and my family. 10MP raw images are totally fine for my google photos backup of my family. 

@mercer hollywood films WILL MOST CERTAINLY be shot on GH5S. In fact, part of the reason it exists is literally by request from Top Gear DP needing a GH5 without IBIS. 1DC has been out longer obviously so its had time to be in the field.