What is the most important spec (to you) ?

Mattias Burling

What is the most important spec (to you)?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most important spec (to you)?

• Buttons/handling and build quality
    • Dynamic Range
    • ISO capabilities
    • Frames per second
    • Resolution
    • Color
    • Autofocus
    • Bitrate/raw/prores
    • Price
    • Battery life
    • Sensor size
    • Badge

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
11 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

where is the good AF option?

9 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Where is the color option?

Like I wrote in the post. The maximum number of allowed options are five. So I had to pick only five. Because it would imo be interesting to compare the results between a niche forum like this and a broader audience.

But you guys made me think that a gear forum might not be ready to look past certain things. So I added a bunch of opinions :)

Let me know what's missing before the time limit to edit the post runs out.

Has to be dynamic range for me. I could deal with 1080 resolution for the time being but blown out highlights and clipped shadows drive me bonkers to no healthy end. 

And it makes sense. Our eyes are going right to the lightest and darkest parts of the scene, and what do many videos have in the background? Blown out skies and practicals. ARGRHGHAGHEUHGH. ?????????

Badge? You mean brand? 

I chose ISO, which even surprised me!
I should probably have chosen price, because who buys something they can't afford because it's good at everything else..  I'd own a Lamborghini, Red Raven, Sony A7RIII, and a render farm!

My rationale for ISO is that I shoot run-and-gun in available light, which means interiors feature heavily.  If ISO performance is bad, then resolution dies, AF stops working, etc.

During the process to buy my current camera I looked at quite a number of options, and eliminated most of them based on sub-par performance in a particular aspect despite them being brilliant at almost everything else, so I ended up with a camera that doesn't excel at anything, but doesn't really have any fatal flaws that I need to work around either.

Being forced to choose is quite a revealing thing.

Not sure if I can distill it to one feature, but I'd say overall usability.

I used to want to squeeze every ounce of image quality, and would sacrifice ergonomics for it. Now I won't. Most things are good enough, and I'd much prefer to use a camera that lets me get a variety of shots quickly. Something that just makes the whole process easy and enjoyable.

• Super Members

We have a very (imo) interesting result!

As you know I did this poll in two places. Here on the niche forum where most are interested in the technical aspects as well as the creative the number one spec was voted: Dynamic Range, 26%
Total votes: 23

5a910ae18b7a9_poll_eoshdkopia.thumb.png.257b41eea144dedaa157b4a2fffc383c.png

On YouTube there can only be 5 options to a poll. But since Dynamic Range was there it shouldn't matter as a comparison to here.
But as you can see it was Buttons/handling and Build Quality that took the first place, 45%.
Total votes: 864

poll_yt.thumb.png.267187325146a0b2d5dc66a2de5abe30.png

A conclusion from me: This points to why the people out there still use an Canon this or Fuji that over some new "spec" heavy release.
Ive tried saying it before and got yelled at by some. Ergonomics, layout, controls, what ever you call it is an important spec. That to many will trump even DR.

I think you could have grouped some options under one: image quality. DR and noise, if not also colour and resolution. As it is, I can't vote for any one of those things above handling even though I find it to be the most important spec :) although then again, if I really valued image quality over handling then I would have bought a bmpcc by now..

As I see it, and it is exactly as I look at it for years now, that is exactly the reason excellent cameras such the GH5 are top in many people's list right now, or excellent forward thinking cameras like the NX1 can't easily let you go of them. Great image attributes (GH5: 10 bit, many codec/high speed options. NX1:H265 codec as high as 180Mbps stable, with very good slow mo quality and one of the least rolling shutter in 1080p until the GH5 came), unlimited recording time the first and 78min continuous recording the other, but with also praised ergonomics and build quality. What's not to like? There isn't a probable issue holding people from buying them (or still using them). 

Conclusions: for me and many pro videographer friends, the Sony crop cameras are down because of ergonomics, unreliability in the field and battery life, and Fuji and Canon do not offer the full package to be considered as workhorses in the industry. There are a few Sony here and there as B roll cameras (mostly because the A7sII are very popular, and mostly a6300 that people bought, and can't get rid of on a normal price, because it lost half of its value a little bit after they bought them ), but no Fuji at all, and a few Canon 5DmkIII that have left from the previous wave. GH5 is dominated my specific segment so hard, that I buy stuff with my mind on those cameras (I have said that before, Edelkrone Surface and Slider for GH5, SmallHD Focus GH version).

I will still stick to Codec is #1. That is why a BMPCC is great, a 1DC,  Arri Alexa, BM Ursa Mini 4.6k, hell even the 5D mk III ML now. I don't care if it has a hundred buttons and 80 stops of DR. If it has a shit Codec it sucks plain and simple. I mean yeah the sensor has to be good also, but it still has to have the output to make it great. And that is Codec.

And Mattias keep the polls coming. I think it makes for interesting results, and that is the reason for them. Look how diverse the answers are on here. :grimace:

37 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

GH5 is dominated my specific segment so hard, that I buy stuff with my mind on those cameras (I have said that before, Edelkrone Surface and Slider for GH5, SmallHD Focus GH version).

No Speedbooster for the GH5? I would think that would be at the top of the list. Maybe not for the GH5s but...

To me a Speedbooster cures two of the weakness of m4/3. DoF and Low Light problem.

31 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I will still stick to Codec is #1. That is why a BMPCC is great, a 1DC,  Arri Alexa, BM Ursa Mini 4.6k, hell even the 5D mk III ML now. I don't care if it has a hundred buttons and 80 stops of DR. If it has a shit Codec it sucks plain and simple. I mean yeah the sensor has to be good also, but it still has to have the output to make it great. And that is Codec.

And Mattias keep the polls coming. I think it makes for interesting results, and that is the reason for them. Look how diverse the answers are on here. :grimace:

No Speedbooster for the GH5? I would think that would be at the top of the list. Maybe not for the GH5s but...

To me a Speedbooster cures two of the weakness of m4/3. DoF and Low Light problem.

Codec is big, too. Pro Res on the pocket is amazing. Not just the quality, but it just edits sooooooooooooo smoothly, and even if it's not RAW, it always surprises me with how robust it is for color correction. Even Pro Res LT. 

The Pocket's codec choices are dynamite.