For PC users: Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 ??

pintowar

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You NEED to have some sort of VNC/Teamviewer running in case display outputs brick with Win 10, which they do (thank you creative fall update)

I would not say Win 10 is better or more optimized than Win 7, but it is different, and it may or may not work better or worse when compared.

Win 10 is for sure more bloated and require more hardware thrown at it to make up for it, but that is pretty much not an issue any more and it does take advantage of it if you have it too.

Just be careful when installing updates as nightmares do hide behind KB numbers, Win 10 Pro for example should have the option to disable drivers with updates.

Thanks for the answers. It seems that Windows 10 wins widely ...
So far I have used Win 7 but I do not know whether to change to 10.
I have read that the updates are a disaster in Win 10 and affect the overall performance. Are the updates mandatory and automatic? Can not be disabled?

I would like to know the opinion of people who use Adobe products, Davinci Resolve, etc ...

27 minutes ago, pintowar said:

Thanks for the answers. It seems that Windows 10 wins widely ...
So far I have used Win 7 but I do not know whether to change to 10.
I have read that the updates are a disaster in Win 10 and affect the overall performance. Are the updates mandatory and automatic? Can not be disabled?

I would like to know the opinion of people who use Adobe products, Davinci Resolve, etc ...

I use Adobe products, math and stats programs, Office products and Resolve Studio on Windows 10 across multiple amchines. I have had no problems at all - no crashes, hold ups or anything with any program. The constant updates are annoying but I have never experienced them making things worse.

I was a Beta tester for Windows 10 hell 3 years ago it seems. I have Never had a problem with it after like Beta version 3. Windows 7 is like running windows 95 in this day and age. That was what I was running before 10. It is day and night different, but in a good way.

People complain about Bloatware. Shit it is that way since it has way more features. You think a program is going to get smaller that has more stuff to offer?  It is like the same crap people complain about Sony menus. It is Huge because it has a ton of features  most of the others don't have. Hell if you don't even have 4k, face detect, IBIS, EVF, on and on I can have a menu that is only 1 page!  Can it be better, well heck yes, but it Ain't going to be 2 pages long.

Get 10, it works and has worked for years now. It is sort of foreign at first, no doubt about that.  :grimace:

With Pro you can kinda pick and choose, with home you are pretty much forced to restart whenever it feels like installing updates. Yes there are ways to make it behave.

And yes bloatware is a start menu taking 5 sec to open because reasons. They managed to fix it so good on them, but that does not mean I want store and ads for games in there by default.

44 minutes ago, no_connection said:

With Pro you can kinda pick and choose, with home you are pretty much forced to restart whenever it feels like installing updates. Yes there are ways to make it behave.

And yes bloatware is a start menu taking 5 sec to open because reasons. They managed to fix it so good on them, but that does not mean I want store and ads for games in there by default.

Sounds like you need a Apple product. No ads in them because it only represents 10% of the computers in the world, so why bother putting Ads on that few.

I probably haven't used the start menu on my computer for a year. You might be right, who knows. And most of the updates are security one's. I would Hope they keep up with them.

I have both. I would argue that Apple iTunes is the biggest whore ad thing in the world hands down. And my Apple 10 has WAY more updates than my Samsung Note 8. So in reality they both suck.

Ubuntu is great I guess, but have the same problem as Win 10, it has to be hacked into submission with the bloat removed. A few commands copy pasted from some website somewhere should work.

And don't get me started the telemetry.

We do use Final Cut and Compressor currently but wish for a Windows alternative. (CC subscription is not an alternative)

I should clarify that we use Win10 Pro since Blackmagic refuse to supply working Win7x64 drivers for their decklink cards even tho it's on the HCL list

The bloat is easier to remove, and there are apps like anti beacon to solve telemetry and so on, it's just annoying that I have to be hacking to make things work like I want, the average user still has to walk the border of the acceptable and sometimes go over just cause they need to do something important.

I wish Linux was sufficient for what I do, but I can't completely transfer my workflow there. I have an old laptop that got a new life through Ubuntu, but not for professional reasons.

It is anachronistic to resist Windows 10. I almost always adapt the latest Windows version (except Vista, I never did that mistake!).

@webrunner5 Do not confuse things, Sony's menus are not terrible because offer a lot of options, are terrible because seemingly they do not have any reason or logic behind their design. I haven't used the latest (a7riii/a9) but the previous ones were a completely mess.

Have you ever used an NX camera? The touch screen implementation, and the 3-5 ways of changing settings is the best in business. Then Canon, and Panasonic is a lot better lately - even though I wouldn't put them even close to Samsung and Canon. Sony menu system is seemingly built by people good at programming skills, but not photographers.