Show Us Your Best Video

OliKMIA

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

This is lovely. Really like that you tried to weave a personal story into it. Can I ask what your process is like to get those beautiful video portraits of locals? Are you travelling with a native Spanish speaker or a Columbian local?

Thank you. I mostly just talk to the locals first and then ask to take their portrait. Then I get uncomfortably close :). It's something that you have to get used to I suppose and can be very difficult at first. Also there are tricks to getting long takes like this without insulting the people. We didn't take a fixer, but that certainly does make it easier.

I directed this almost three years ago as part of an in-class assignment (we had like 90 minutes total to shoot the whole short with a randomized crew) back at my old film studies program at UNC Wilmington. My DP on the project ended up making a huge difference on the quality of the film, as he looked at my detailed storyboards and got really creative with the lighting rig and using the Lensbaby Sweet 35 tilt-shift lens for the distorted close-up shots of the mystery maniac in the hallway.

I don't remember what camera we used specifically for this, but I know it was a Canon DSLR of some sort. Shortly after I graduated from the school, apparently the college opted to upgrade their rental camera sets with a bunch of Sony A7sII's, so no one that's there now seems to remember what model we used back in 2015.

• 1 month later...