Show Us Your Best Video

OliKMIA

3 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

I could show you, and then get ready for the impending lawsuits coming from a big tech company that has a boardroom full of lawyers.?

I shoot home videos for family and friends, and when I shoot there is an expectation of discretion, especially around the kids.  I suspect if I posted something that between my fiancé and teenage daughter it would be similar to what you describe Matthew!

I don't need a public showreel to get work, but I'm now trying to learn my new camera and push my skills and am having to shoot test videos so that I can post online and get feedback so I can learn.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/23/2018 at 1:49 PM, Matthew Hartman said:

This is why I'm switching gears and focusing on finding more narrative work ...I do also edit, and the short will be released soon. I will share when that happens if the festivals allow. 

Best of luck to you.  Don't get sucked too far into corporate.  It will crush your soul.  You can't keep a good creative person down, so go for it.

Lil spot for a FIFA tournament we have at work every year. Shot in 4hrs, edit/grade/audio in about 8hrs. Since everyone here loves tech, it was shot with FS7, 35mm+100mm Lomo anamorphics, Easyrig.

And a longer commercial for a modular house construction company that went along with a less-corporate look'n'feel with poetry as VO (in Swedish, though. Sorry non-Scandinavians) rather than corporate mumbojumbo :)

Shot on FS7 in FS-RAW, Cooke S2/S3 Panchros, combination of dolly moves and Easyrig stuff. Gaffer mostly used M18 and accented with smth like an Aladdin Flexlite on a boompole with a pancake for diffusion. 

https://vimeo.com/247948695 (embed turned off apparently and I'm on my private phone so not logged in to fix it)

Cheerios!

Maybe not my best and certainly not the video in which I was paid more or had the most production values and toys to play with. Still I'm really happy about the reception it got from a lot of people in this small country I-m currently living in (Dominican Republic, Caribbean). This music video was shot during a couple of afternoons with some friends with a lended camera.. For those who don-t speak Spanish the song is about a survivour of domestic abuse. 

I shoot a big variety of things but I tend to most enjoy doing dark stuff. I think this is, while not necessarily my favourite work due to the issues we had in the production, the most visually accomplished;

And on the flipside, this one was shot in one day, had a ton of fun and I'm extremely happy with it, even though it's not technically as accomplished:

Both are NSFW and contain violence.

Unfortunately my best video can never be released publicly due to a fall out between myself and the band, but that didn't stop me from completing the video and showcasing it for my skills.

Shot on hacked GH2 (Flowmotion) with a set of vintage Nikon AI/AIS lenses. No budget, simple gear and a couple of friends.

PW: MyVersion

On 2/28/2018 at 10:06 PM, hempo22 said:

Unfortunately my best video can never be released publicly due to a fall out between myself and the band, but that didn't stop me from completing the video and showcasing it for my skills.

Shot on hacked GH2 (Flowmotion) with a set of vintage Nikon AI/AIS lenses. No budget, simple gear and a couple of friends.

PW: MyVersion

Are you sure you should be showing this? If this band ever breaks, their label can retroactively come after you unless you have signed paper with the band saying it's cool to use this content for your reel. Be careful bro.  

On 3/1/2018 at 11:50 PM, hempo22 said:

@Mark Romero 2 Sure, bud :) My only short to get into a couple of big festivals. Also a no budget project with a few friends, shot on a hacked GH2 (Flowmotion) with vintage Nikon AI/AIS lenses.

Is it me or did the previous versions of the GH series have way better motion cadence than the GH4 and GH5? The GH2 was 1080 correct? 

6 minutes ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Are you sure you should be showing this? If this band ever breaks, their label can retroactively come after you unless you have signed paper with the band saying it's cool to use this content for your reel. Be careful bro.  

Is it me or did the previous versions of the GH series have way better motion cadence than the GH4 and GH5? The GH2 was 1080 correct? 

I wonder myself, never owned a Panny so someone can probably answer this with more confidence.... I feel Continuous AF may be the culprit as opposed to pure MF. People want amazing IQ but don't want to work for it.... Tsk... Tsk... Tsk.

4 minutes ago, mkabi said:

People want amazing IQ but don't want to work for it.... Tsk... Tsk... Tsk.

This is the statement everyone of us should print out and paste on our bedroom ceiling to go to sleep to and wake up to every day. 

If you're run-and-gun listen to the following tentatively, or not at all. 

The best looking films curate the living joy out of every scene. Nothing is left to chance or served up the "we'll fix it in post" line. That's lazy.

Great, critically acclaimed images take considerable work, even with a full crew. The mentality of getting the shot as quickly as possible, as in checking off a shot list only serves business objectives, not creativity. 

If you care about your storytelling, care about and get passionate and intelligent with the tools you use to tell it. Get your hands dirty. Don't rely on your camera or editor. Scrutinize what every element in your scene is speaking to your audience. It all matters. 

You get out what you put in. 

18 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

It's alright. It was a no-budget project between friends. They got no label and I didn't have a production company.

But they really wanted a video for the song, so the deal was that they could use my footage to make their own, official version and I can show my version with the song to people as long as the video isn't public.

• 1 month later...