Schoeps MiniCMIT Thoughts

DBounce

So as part of my plan to build a new indy filmmaking kit I recently picked up the Schoeps MiniCMIT. There are really not many review of this model. I thought it might pull dual duty use for both on camera and boom work. Are any of you using this mic? If so what are your thoughts?

Also thinking about adding the Sound Devices 633 to round things out, but first I wanted to hear what the DMW-XLR1 pres sound like with this mic. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Haven't heard about this model before. Seems quite pricey.  What drew you to it?

Really loved the sound. Perhaps one of cleanest I’ve heard. Low noise floor, well balanced. Small enough to carry easily. To my ears makes the Sennheiser MKH 416 sound thin. Also does not distort when the subject moves a little off the sweet spot. Great noise rejection also. 

So I got the Schoeps MiniCMIT yesterday and had a quick play with the GH5S and the DMW-XLR1 XLR Microphone Adapter. This adapter is powered by the camera and can supply the 48 volt required by the MiniCMIT. This configuration is ideal for light weight travel. 

I plan to add the SD633 for those great preamps and low cut filters. Working in my home studio next to my MacBook Pro (which was running its fans at full speed) tested the noise rejection. It’s probably as good as one could hope, but the analog side filters on a pro mixer would no doubt be a better pairing with this mic.

The video is a spoof video. Loving the GH5S so far btw. Comments welcomed. I’m reasonably clueless with sound for video, but I’m slowly learning and open to suggestions. 

On 2/22/2018 at 8:27 PM, Inazuma said:

Haven't heard about this model before. Seems quite pricey.  What drew you to it?

Its about as good a mic as can be had for film work, a mini version of the famous Cmit 5u, Scheops long awaited entry into shotguns (they wrote the book on hypercardioids with the CMC641). It is unique as a shotgun that can be used outdoors and in (apart from Sanken), and is very lightweight, with amazing sound