4K Videos Shot for HDR Examples

markr041

By videos shot for HDR I mean videos shot with an emphasis on scenes that would benefit in particular from the extended DR of HDR, especially highlights.

Here are three examples, shot in 4K using HLG with REC2020 color and uploaded to YouTube so that those with HDR viewing devices can view them in HDR, those not in SDR. But, because these videos emphasize highlights that can best be captured by HDR, the view in SDR will miss the point (to exaggerate, like looking at a picture of a rainbow in B&W). The SDR versions will look perfectly fine, but they will be far less interesting. To view in HDR, if you can, you must go to the YouTube site to view by clicking on the YouTube logo.

First up (already posted in the contentious YouTube HDR thread) is a video shot on a sunny day after a snowstorm. White snow expanses in bright sun are almost blindingly bright in the real world, ideal for capture in HDR:

Next are two videos shot at the golden hour. The bright, golden light reflected off surfaces and/or coloring objects are again captured well in HDR (white surfaces reflecting bright light are the most impressive). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

To view in HDR, if you can, you must go to the YouTube site to view by clicking on the YouTube logo.

Doesn't trigger HDR on my TV, coming from the web app with EOSHD. Only works with the dedicated Youtube app. Watch on Youtube doesn't do the trick for me. Did I miss some hidden setting? Shortcoming of my TV firmware?

White snow expanses in bright sun are almost blindingly bright in the real world, ideal for capture in HDR:

While it looks better in HDR, it's not as dramatic as one would expect, probably due to the brightness control for bigger areas over a longer time. Allegedly somewhat better on QLED TVs, but  one has to be aware of that.

Next are two videos shot at the golden hour. The bright, golden light reflected off surfaces and/or coloring objects are again captured well in HDR (white surfaces reflecting bright light are the most impressive). 

The colors are vivid. But I feel that most of the shots do not make use of extreme contrast. This video (I think I saw it on some HDR TV on my tour through the shops) apparently isn't HDR?

... but it's shot for HDR (can someone link to an HDR version?).

The Alexis van Hurkman link in the long HDR thread tried to draft some preliminary "rules" for the HDR aesthetics. He said, I paraphrase here, that highlights and accentuated color contrast should be the eyecatcher and gaze tracker. And that knocking out just the prominent motif from the background (i.e. through sDoF or vignettes in post, but also through too blunt framing) was a typical SDR approach. As well as (my own addition) a moving camera in a pointing gesture fashion.  

Therefore, it may be the best approach to forgo some of those common tools in these early HDR days. I also feel that an unstable camera subconsciously tells recording! If anything, HDR is a huge step towards a more realistic or even hyperrealistic look, and camera shakes destroy that partially. Tripods, sliders and post stabilizers should be used. Unless you want to say POV.

1 hour ago, Axel said:

This video (I think I saw it on some HDR TV on my tour through the shops) apparently isn't HDR?

... but it's shot for HDR (can someone link to an HDR version?).

Found it:

My opinion: terrible! Way over the top (you can judge even in SDR that the colors are ridiculously oversaturated, most of the time). This kind of HDR grading borders on assault. 

1 hour ago, Axel said:

My opinion: terrible! Way over the top (you can judge even in SDR that the colors are ridiculously oversaturated, most of the time). This kind of HDR grading borders on assault. 

I don't have a HDR display, but you're right, some of the shots are waaay oversaturated even on SDR. People still like it nevertheless.

6 hours ago, Arikhan said:

@markr041

Thanks for sharing! Two questions:

1. Which camera did you use to shoot?
  2. Is the footage graded in post or as it is out of the camera?

1. Sony FS5.

2. Graded in post, but very little adjustment of colors; mostly levels, some WB.

7 hours ago, Axel said:

Doesn't trigger HDR on my TV, coming from the web app with EOSHD. Only works with the dedicated Youtube app. Watch on Youtube doesn't do the trick for me. Did I miss some hidden setting? Shortcoming of my TV firmware?

While it looks better in HDR, it's not as dramatic as one would expect, probably due to the brightness control for bigger areas over a longer time. Allegedly somewhat better on QLED TVs, but  one has to be aware of that.

I think you are correct that you need to use the YouTube app to view in HDR. This goes as well for the HDR-capable phones and tablets. When I click on Youtube, it goes to the YouTube app.

The videos I posted are not to "go for extreme contrast", so as to get away from the gimmicky videos one see, like those demos for HDR TV's. HDR enhances all videos, some more than others. The videos I shot as examples were ones where HDR helps more than normally but less than extremely. (It is like the early days of stereo - there were these gimmicky recordings issued where the separation was extreme - bongos isolated in one channel, trombones isolated in the other - it's stereo!).

It's early days, and it is fun to explore what additional creative possibilities are opened up by the enhanced dynamic range and color palette.

I agree about handheld shake. Here is an HDR video shot on a tripod. It is not especially helped by HDR and not shot for HDR, but there is still a difference that is quite visible:

HLG allows more room for highlights. Night video has bright lights surrounded by dark. With little DR (like for SDR), either all the lights are blown out (and thus lack color) or if shot to avoid blow outs, there is zero information in the dark part.

So here is an HLG video of a street scene at night:

16 hours ago, markr041 said:

So here is an HLG video of a street scene at night: (...)

Terrific. But again: Please use a tripod or "camera lock" stabilizer (checkbox in Resolves stabilizer).

Another suggestion: name your clips y0x4 or something like that, followed by HDR asf., that would make it easier to find them in the Youtube app.