Introducing the Canon 400000000D

Andrew Reid

If I’m a parent and my child shows an interest in photography, what camera do I buy them?

This is Canon’s market for this camera.

The parent isn’t going to research a Sony A7 plus adapters. They’re going to find a simple bare bones, inexpensive camera.

A smart phone owner who wants a real camera for the holidays or vacation that takes good photos and acceptable video... they will look at this camera.

Over the past few years that I’ve been frequenting this site, one of the most common phrases shouted time and time again is that Canon is in trouble... yet every year they sell more cameras and lenses than most of the companies combined.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah mercer and that's exactly what I don't like about this. The notion that "DSLR is what photographers use" which Canon is using. Another example: I could argue that if you want to buy a camera for your child, then for the same money an LX100 is going to be much better, easier to use and carry around and because of that, produce better results. 

• Super Members

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

If I’m a parent and my child shows an interest in photography, what camera do I buy them?

This. A beginner is better of with a DSLR imho.

Personally I use both a DSLR and a mirrorless every single day and imo they aren't ready to replace each other. Mirrorless wins in some respects and specs but gets killed in others.

Also perception goes a long way. A lot of people envision DSLRs when they think what a “real” camera is. So I’d imagine, by a huge margin, that most people who buy their first real camera it is usually a DSLR.

And honestly I feel that way sometimes as well. There’s just something about the feel of a DSLR in the hands.

Then a Nikon D3400 kit can be bought at the same price (or even cheaper) NEW, offering better resolution, ISO, AF, LCD, built quality... Canon didn't do anything outstanding here, they just try to exploit a low budget market by selling recycled materials under their recognized brand.

And try to guess what is going to happen to that plastic mount once the child inevitably drops the camera...

I get your point but is a metal mount really going to save any fallen entry level dslr from destruction? Unfortunately, we live in a disposable world  

I like these cheapo cameras. I almost bought a D3400 around Christmas when you could get a kit for $300. I’d like to see what people can do with these limited features.

• Super Members

At my store the Canon 2000d is cheaper than the Nikon d3400. Both 24mp, both metal mounts. One is newer. To a noob thats a big deal. I dont know how many times I see threads where they skip what they get recommend because the guy in the store said something else was "newer".

I don’t know... for some reason there is this notion that Canon should not release products that will make money because the consumers can buy something better for similar money?

Then the consumer should go out and do just that. Why is it Canon’s fault that people don’t do their research?

But also, for the cost, I don’t know if there is really that much better on the market. It’s a beginner’s, aps-c, 18mp DSLR that will shoot Raw photos and HD video. I love Nikon colors but their cheap DSLR’s aren’t the most user friendly for video. And I must assume that this Canon will be as good as, or better than, a t2i. What more does a beginner need?

3 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Exactly. For North America and most Europe there are much better cameras and deals. For the same money you can even get the FF A7 and strap on a manual lens with an adapter and the quality will be miles better.

Sony A7 is an $800 camera!  This thing is being announced at $385.

3 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Or this https://www.techradar.com/reviews/canon-eos-4000d

However, while this low price point is designed to tempt new users, our worry is that the limited feature set and poor screen will see them quickly revert back to their smartphone.

I wonder what "feature set" this guy thinks would make a difference.  For photography there just aren't that many bells and whistles that matter.  You already have APS-C, interchangeable lens, optical viewfinder, ergonomics, and hot shoe.  If that isn't enough for you a slightly better screen or 1 or 2 more fps isn't going to make a difference.  By the time someone has decided to lug around a DSLR they are on a mission.

2 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Another example: I could argue that if you want to buy a camera for your child, then for the same money an LX100 is going to be much better, easier to use and carry around and because of that, produce better results. 

LX100 is a $650 camera!

If my child was getting into photography I would not buy them a small sensor camera.  I also wouldn't get them something that locks them into one lens.   The basis of every photography class I ever took was 35mm and nifty fifty.  End of story.  You explored all aspects of shutter speed, aperture, depth of field, etc.  Start simple and hammer the basics.  After that you can move on to more specialized pieces of hardware for various situations.

I don't know where people got their photography training but there are still high schools and community colleges in America that teach film.  I can't imagine what someone getting into real photography for the first time would need that this camera doesn't have.  Sure 35mm would be nice but that isn't happening below $400.

Photography and videography are very different fields.  Ansel Adams created timeless art with an 8x10 view camera and film.  I would put Ansel Adams work up against any modern photographer using any modern camera of their choice and Ansel Adams would come out on top or certainly be in the running.  Bells and whistles are nice but you simply don't need them to get great shots.  I get DPAF for video because we can't all have a fully rigged out focus pulling system with a dedicated focus puller following us around.  But for photographs?  Can't think of too many innovations beyond basic autofocus that are anywhere near that profound.  Even 8x10 view cameras don't need a crew to operate so there is no feature that eliminates them.

The 1300D kit with the Canon EF-S 18-55 DC III lens, the Canon EG100 bag and a 16GB SD card costs 325-350euros over here (all the shops selling this kit, and the country has one of the highest VAT numbers in Europe).

It has everything the 40000 has, plus a larger more detailed screen (Gordon Laing's words, not mine), metal mount, better build quality (also the usual Canon lettering and symbols on the buttons) and NFC. Everything else spec wise is the same, and the 40000D will launch for 380 euros body only (https://camerajabber.com/canon-eos-4000d-rebel-t100-price-specs-release-date-confirmed/) and 430euros with the same lens (without the bag and card obvisouly). I will gladly pay less and get a better camera, + a lens, + a bag (it's free, why not) and a 16GB SD card.

This thread has nothing to do with Canon, this camera sucks big time. 

The fact that people trying to win the "argument" shows more about the man than the camera itself, or Canon for that matter.

Edit: I gave my niece a Canon compact I had around when she became 5 years old, when she became 8, I gave her a Fuji bridge camera (full manual control and all), next one, probably would be a small mirrorless, I have plenty over here, but not yet, the whole concept of having a system is a bit too much for kids, I do not understand how a 5-8 years old kid, or 9 or 10 (then we are talking about pre teen and teen years, which is a whole other deal) can cope with having/owing/using a whole photographic system with a bag with lenses e.t.c

In the beginning, she was just using it. Later on we talked a little about the frame and discussed some of her pictures. Then she learn how to charge the camera (from USB) and how to insert the SD card and save the files on the computer. I am not sure she is ready to talk about shutter speeds and equivalence yet!

• Super Members
10 hours ago, Damphousse said:

I wonder what "feature set" this guy thinks would make a difference.  For photography there just aren't that many bells and whistles that matter.

Exactly. I love Thorsten Overgaard saying, "if it doesn't affect exposure it shouldn't be on the camera".

I like nifty features as much as the next guy. But I shure don't "need" them :)